Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 05:00 PM

3 posts, read 4,225 times

Advertisements

Right so this situation is a bit messy. Originally me and 2 of my friends were going to move in together and one of them invited another girl (who is 24 and 3 years older than us) to join our group. Me and the other friend did not know this girl as well but we were on friendly terms with her. anyways, my friend who invited her backed out of the living arrangement last minute and we were left to move in with this girl she had invited. We were to be moving into a 3-bed appartment, with one larger room one medium sized and a smaller one, but all with double beds. we signed the agreement in january and in june the girl came over to see me and my friend to pick rooms before we moved in in july. she suggested we picked numbers out of a hat and she picked 1st and drew the smallest room, my friend then drew the medium one and i was left with the largest. and as far as we were concerned it was done fairly and we left it at that. she comes over the next day and says that shes not happy with the way things were done because she thinks that it was unfair for her to get the smallest when ’she did all the work’…my friend didnt say anything as this girl can be quite overpowering and intimidating but i wasnt hearing any of it and told her that actually she we all had equal input and that it was done fairly and shes just upset she didnt get the largest room. she didnt like this and was persistant. she eventually left and we were left ot think about it and decided that actually she was just being a spoilt little rich girl who didnt get the largest room and that we were not going to give in.
so we texted her telling her that we discussed it and we think it was done fairly and that we are willing to compromise by paying more towards the bills…she replied telling us to f*** off (more words were said). and we just left it.
So….in september term started and were were not on speaking terms with her. she refused to pay the first bill but we eventually sorted that out and she paid her share (after parents got involved).
then we were on talking terms for a couple of months.
Then in january when we came back after christmas…things were a bit awkward and eventually it got back into a hostile living situation after she refused to pay the second bill. she said that we agreed that me and my friend whould pay more…after i reminded her that she told us to ‘f*** off’ she kept quiet and paid it. her arguements were that we use more electricity because our rooms are bigger…which is a fair arguement…but i hadnt been living there for 2 weeks and it was still willing to pay my 3rd of the electricity bill so she couldnt use that.
anyway a few months later she started accusing us of taking her cutlery and using her shower gel. her cutlery i genuinely did not know what had happened to it but she could have easily lost it. I happened to know that my friend had been using her shower gel but she was really scared of this girl so i didnt want to rat her out. then one day she knocked on my door and accused me of breaking her kettle and i was genuinely surprised and i told her i didnt know anything about it and she gave attitude. my friend had told me that she accidently dropped a jar from the top shelf in the kitchen and that it had broken…i put two and two together as this shelf was on top of the kettle and realised that the jar mustve hit the kettle. so i suggested this to my friend and informed her of the kettle but she said that it was possible but that she didnt realise it had hit the kettle. she did not tell the girl out of fear and i didnt want to rat her out because i knew she was scared so i kept quiet.
then me and my friend left for easter holidays and the girl was still in the flat…my friend went up there for a couple of days and informed me as soon as she got there that there was a massive burn on my sofa. she also said that this girl had turned the fridge off when she left and that everything was mouldy and that she had tried to clean it all out.
I then went up a couple of days and was really annoyed about the sofa and the fridge because it seemed like it was done on purpose. i could see that things were going to get bitchy but decided to take the high road and left a note on her door which said,
‘Jen, Becks had to clean the fridge out because you had switched it off, it still needs one more clean, if you could do this please. Also i saw the burn on my sofa, we will talk about it whe i get back, see you later!’

And she sticks one on my door incredibly bitchy saying,
‘i didnt switch the fridge off…why would i seeing as most of the food in there was mine. uve got no right to ask me to clean the fridge seeing as u didnt do ne cleaning the whole of last term. and then she says i had nothing to do with the burn on ure sofa…in ure own words “if u want to talk to someone talk to ureself’

The problem is that i really think shes trying to get a reaction from me and im trying so hard to take the high road and control my anger. she definitely switched the fridge off because she was the only one in the flat…but the switch for it says freezer, so she might have thought it would just switch the freezer off (and none of her things are in the freezer, just mine and my friends). secondly i have ocd and i do ALL the cleaning…she cleaned the bathroom once with make-up wipes!…and again she was the only one who was in the flat to be able to burn the sofa and i think she did it in retaliaiton to her kettle, which i had nothing to do with.

She also has a tv in her room and ignores the tv liscence letters that come through, refusing to pay for one.

I have exams coming up and this situation is causing me a lot of frustration and stress. i dont understand how a 24 year old can act like such a child.
Anyway, i am going back to the flat next week and was wondering how i should deal with the situation. (ie: the burn on the sofa her accusations of not cleaning and the fridge). i feel like showing my anger will give her satisfaction? i really don’t know what to do…but i feel like i should say something so she doesnt think she can get away with it?
HELP!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2009, 07:08 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,038,202 times
Aye yay yay!!!! Remember people -- paragraphs are your friends!!!

Old 04-22-2009, 07:13 PM

Okay, I read through it - but it was difficult!

Is the nasty 24 year old girl on the lease? Did she sign the lease? Who's on the lease?

Old 04-22-2009, 07:16 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,115,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
Okay, I read through it

You are a better woman than I.

Cliff Notes version?

Old 04-22-2009, 07:19 PM

3 posts, read 4,225 times
its a joint tenancy agreement with 3 people

Old 04-22-2009, 07:20 PM

Okay, but is the 24 year old on the lease? I know you originally had someone else, that's why I ask.

Old 04-22-2009, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidmom View Post
You are a better woman than I.

Cliff Notes version?
She shares an apartment with two other girls, one of them is older and mean. The OP and the other girl are somewhat afraid of the older one. The older one possibly damaged some of their property, and doesn't pay her share unless a discussion is had, and then she gripes about it and tells these other girls to f*** off.

Old 04-22-2009, 07:31 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,192,725 times
If you can avoid an altercation, then avoid it. Wait out the lease and move. Imo.

Old 04-22-2009, 07:33 PM

What I'm getting at, is if the 24 year old is not on the lease, simply have her removed. Nobody should have to live in fear of the people they room with.

Old 04-22-2009, 08:04 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,115,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
She shares an apartment with two other girls, one of them is older and mean. The OP and the other girl are somewhat afraid of the older one. The older one possibly damaged some of their property, and doesn't pay her share unless a discussion is had, and then she gripes about it and tells these other girls to f*** off.
Thanks! There's a reason you lawyerly types make the big bucks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships