Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2009, 05:08 PM

1,072 posts, read 2,705,712 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
But 3 months into a relationship? That doesn't sound right. I guess it would depend on the individuals involved. Btw, my having the right to work based on my abilities, an education, a voice, etc, doesn't hinge upon any compassion I may or may not give to a man. Be clear on that.
Again, let's throw the shoe to the WOMAN: if she's been w/ her MAN for only 3 months, she got laid off, and she asks him for temporary financial support, would you expect him to say no? The original "person" that says she should be courted doesn't think so. She thinks that as a woman, she doesn't have to help out her BF of 3 months, but if she needs help from her BF of 3 months, you bet your arse she expects him to help out.

Hypocrisy, anyone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2009, 05:10 PM

3,219 posts, read 6,591,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sms0511 View Post
So let me get this straight: if the shoe is on the other foot -- that is, if it's the WOMAN that gets laid off, and turns to her boyfriend for TEMPORARY financial support until she gets back on her financial feet -- would you require HER to pay HIM back? OR are you simply acting out on the conveniently feminist mentality?

You know, women have been fully financially supported by their men for many, many years. I think it's only fair that, since we women now have more "equal footing", that we actually embrace such equality and "pay back" when there comes a time that her boyfriend is in dire need of financial assistance.

If you want to be in equal footing as men, you have to do your part also, and "pay 'em bills" when his side of financial footing is down.
Agreed but I won't hold my breath for any changes especially when they know they have a good gig going......for now.

Old 09-01-2009, 05:10 PM

2,716 posts, read 6,904,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Men have been supporting women for years. Perhaps, in their drive to be "equal" they should turn it around?
How dare you say something so sexist.

Old 09-01-2009, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguy1 View Post
How dare you say something so sexist.
Yeah, now the feminist union (whoever belongs to it that is) of the relationship forum will come after him oh wait and me in that matter from my post.

Last edited by njguy; 09-01-2009 at 05:32 PM.. Reason: added to sentence

Old 09-01-2009, 06:53 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,230,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sms0511 View Post
Again, let's throw the shoe to the WOMAN: if she's been w/ her MAN for only 3 months, she got laid off, and she asks him for temporary financial support, would you expect him to say no? The original "person" that says she should be courted doesn't think so. She thinks that as a woman, she doesn't have to help out her BF of 3 months, but if she needs help from her BF of 3 months, you bet your arse she expects him to help out.

Hypocrisy, anyone?
I agree that she shouldn't expect it either. If that's the case, it's certainly hypocrisy.

Old 09-01-2009, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njguy View Post
Yeah, now the feminist union (whoever belongs to it that is) of the relationship forum will come after him oh wait and me in that matter from my post.
What does anything of this have to do with feminism?

Old 09-01-2009, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Men have been supporting women for years. Perhaps, in their drive to be "equal" they should turn it around?
I'll bite. Exactly what man has been supporting me for years? Is he an imaginary friend? cuz, I don't see him.

Old 09-01-2009, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
What does anything of this have to do with feminism?
The liberal thinking that has come with it as well as the empowerment that takes an initiative to change things within a "herd mentality" to benefit their whole.

What do I mean? That paragraph from which why you're asking the question.

Old 09-02-2009, 04:55 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,722,083 times
I don't know--perhaps your father? If the system in place hadn't gotten screwed up by then.

Old 09-02-2009, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njguy View Post
The liberal thinking that has come with it as well as the empowerment that takes an initiative to change things within a "herd mentality" to benefit their whole.

What do I mean? That paragraph from which why you're asking the question.
That paragraph, IIRC, had nothing to do with feminism.

Quote:
I don't know--perhaps your father? If the system in place hadn't gotten screwed up by then.
My mother took care of me when I was a kid, tho I got my first job at 13 yrs old. My parents divorced and my dad could not afford child support and my mother didn't ask for it. They are good friends to this day and he chose to retire in the same community as her since he considers her to be his family. Before her, my grandmother came to this country at 17 yrs old during or just prior to WWII. She did marry, but worked all her life (at Bell atlantic making telephones) and bought her home with her own money. Now, she was not able to purchase her home without her husband's signature, which she forged, given the sexist laws back in the day, but there was no man taking care of anyone. So, we're going back to the early 1900's in my family and the women have always been the providers/head of household. Keep in mind that I'm speaking of real life as opposed to what you may see on an old TV show.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships