Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 04:24 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,668,826 times

Advertisements

Same job, same company. I don't believe that we should TRY to own things, myself. If you took an inventory of things I actually "own", you'd find clothing and toiletries. Everything else in this apartment belongs to my room mate. Even if she purchased it with my income, it was her desire to own it, so it's hers when she leaves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2009, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAtheBanker View Post
So THAT is your mentality, that makes sense now. Of course it's not just a place to live in, it's an investment. Pay rent for 10 years or buy something that's going to give you back twice what you paid for it, and thereby allowing you to buy something else? Hmmm...
Why would you want to bounce around like that, instead of setting down roots?

Old 09-02-2009, 04:45 PM

3,849 posts, read 9,425,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Why would you want to bounce around like that, instead of setting down roots?
Oh please, I've got more roots then you EVER will.

Old 09-02-2009, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Same job, same company. I don't believe that we should TRY to own things, myself. If you took an inventory of things I actually "own", you'd find clothing and toiletries. Everything else in this apartment belongs to my room mate. Even if she purchased it with my income, it was her desire to own it, so it's hers when she leaves.
You find the fact that you own absolutely nothing in life a good thing? To me that's just SAD. But hey, whatever floats your rented boat.

Old 09-02-2009, 04:53 PM

Yes, possession is theft. Material goods are unnecessary and evil.

Greed doesn't enter into MY life.

Old 09-02-2009, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Oh please, I've got more roots then you EVER will.

So you live in the town you were born in?

Old 09-02-2009, 05:03 PM

Quote:
So you live in the town you were born in?
I lived in the same exact house for 18 years.

Old 09-02-2009, 05:28 PM

7,829 posts, read 11,792,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
I'd be more inquisitive about how she racked up 80 grand and did her parents help her at all with this and if not?
A lot of people galavant around the world under the guise of educational experience.

I know one woman I dated had almost $100,000 of loans, she was pursuing her PhD in Theology or something like that, she had traveled all over the world for "research", of course all expenses added to the loan.

Old 09-02-2009, 09:11 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,124,725 times
Quote:
I lived in the same exact house for 18 years.
That's great if you can make that work and WANT to do that. But home ownership is not for everybody just because they can afford it. Remember you have $3k minimum closing costs plus any realtor commision when you buy and sell a home.

Whenever you pay cash for a house you are forfeighting the interest that capital could have gained you in the stock market. And historically, the stock market outperforms the real estate market. It isn't like you live there for free. Dave Ramsey is full of pig ___ if you ask me.

Personally I've about had it with home ownership. I dont collect junk, dont need the room, am tired of fixing and mowing and shoveling, and would like to move more often than every 5 years. I'm going to lose out big now if I transfer to another job because I am on the wrong end of the housing market curve.I know, I know, this is the time to buy...

Old 09-03-2009, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zz4guy View Post
That's great if you can make that work and WANT to do that. But home ownership is not for everybody just because they can afford it. Remember you have $3k minimum closing costs plus any realtor commision when you buy and sell a home.

Whenever you pay cash for a house you are forfeighting the interest that capital could have gained you in the stock market. And historically, the stock market outperforms the real estate market. It isn't like you live there for free. Dave Ramsey is full of pig ___ if you ask me.

Personally I've about had it with home ownership. I dont collect junk, dont need the room, am tired of fixing and mowing and shoveling, and would like to move more often than every 5 years. I'm going to lose out big now if I transfer to another job because I am on the wrong end of the housing market curve.I know, I know, this is the time to buy...
Homeownership isn't for everyone, absolutely. If you don't think it's a worthy investment and don't want to deal with fixing things yourself, then don't get into it. The point in my posts earlier was to prove that just because you're renting, doesn't mean you're debt free. For people that have bad credit and can't get approved for a mortgage, then renting is the only option. But to be naive and say that you're saving money, have more freedom from debt, and life is just peachy being a renter--that's what I have a problem with. Trust me, I've been a renter. I'd take my $540/mo. mortgage payment over dealing with a landlord any day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships