Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2009, 07:06 AM

1,776 posts, read 4,010,318 times

Advertisements

I am good with faces, but BAD with names.

I meet people at work all the time, and the next time I see them they'll come up to me like "Hey IZ", and I'm like, "uh heyyyy....."

I hate this and I want to do something about it. I started saying the person's name like 10 times in my head or under my breath, each time associating their face with the name. It seems to work.

Anybody else have this problem? How do you deal with it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2009, 07:10 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,796,954 times
I remember female names. They're like microprocessor entries

Old 09-04-2009, 07:11 AM

5,077 posts, read 14,668,703 times
I'm good with names and numbers . I work for a military installation with everyone going by their last names but I've managed to remember all of their first names LOL
I also have an uncanny memory for numbers, any telephone number, any sequence of number - been like that since I was little.

Old 09-04-2009, 07:46 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,292,819 times
I used to be a lot worse at remembering names. But I started using tricks to help myself remember. For example, if someone introduces themselves to me, I ask for their name again as if I didn't hear it the first time. Then I try to use their name a lot in the conversation.

The hell of it is that I have quite a number of clients, and they have clients. So I have to keep the names straight, who they work for and what firms they are clients of. It makes my head hurt sometimes.

Old 09-04-2009, 07:54 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,796,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
I used to be a lot worse at remembering names. But I started using tricks to help myself remember. For example, if someone introduces themselves to me, I ask for their name again as if I didn't hear it the first time. Then I try to use their name a lot in the conversation.

The hell of it is that I have quite a number of clients, and they have clients. So I have to keep the names straight, who they work for and what firms they are clients of. It makes my head hurt sometimes.
You keep referring to clients in many threads. Just out of curiosity, what is your line of profession?

Old 09-04-2009, 08:02 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,292,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
You keep referring to clients in many threads. Just out of curiosity, what is your line of profession?
I am a strategic market planner, with specialties in banking, healthcare, real estate, and b-to-b. I'm the hired gun my clients take into meetings with their clients, and work with clients from New Hampshire to Colorado. I had a client in LA, but they were bought by somebody else.

Old 09-04-2009, 08:13 AM

1,776 posts, read 4,010,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreaspercheron View Post
I'm good with names and numbers . I work for a military installation with everyone going by their last names but I've managed to remember all of their first names LOL
I also have an uncanny memory for numbers, any telephone number, any sequence of number - been like that since I was little.
Yeah I'm great with numbers. A few of my friends have dubbed me "Rainman" because of it.

I even remember my driver's licence number. I've gotten out a few situations with cops where I didn't have it on me, and because I can spit it out at request, they let me go. I guess they were looking to make sure I had the right number of characters and the number sequence as well, that and the fact that anybody who remembers that number is probably harmless.

Old 09-04-2009, 08:17 AM

20,048 posts, read 18,366,893 times
Seems the older I get, the worse I get at remembering names. Try word/name association games for names.

Old 09-04-2009, 08:20 AM

29,783 posts, read 34,567,516 times
I remember faces and details, but have trouble with names unless I see it written down.

Old 09-04-2009, 09:23 AM

17,029 posts, read 31,002,871 times
I remember faces and most details of conversations. Where they went to school, kids, hobbies etc but names I have problems with. I guess I focus on remembering whats important to me. I have to use word association tricks to remeber names...unless you are an attractive woman.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships