Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2009, 06:50 PM

9,230 posts, read 16,544,998 times

Advertisements

Mackenzie Phillips's new revelation got me to thinking. She stated that her father was a good man despite all he did to her. I have heard this from many people about their abusive partners (note this is not just about women being abused). I have heard friends of these couples say the same thing. Heck I just said it in another thread about my friend's guy. "He/she has a huge heart, is a sweet person, is a nice guy/gal, but....he beats his wife/she's hooked on drugs and lost custody of her kids." I could give various examples, but I think you get the hint.

I prefer to think that most people are good and but can cross over given an extremely trying situation. I know people have flaws and are normally good but do really stupid things (my friend's boyfriend). Then there are people who are bad, with the capacity to be good. It is with these people that I become the most frustrated when I hear those statements.

Assuming Michelle's claims are true, do you think that her father was a good man who was troubled? Does the fact that he did not do this to his other girls re-enforce that he was good man? Would you say that people who abuse/neglect their kids, beat their spouses, commit violent crimes (like armed robbery) are good despite their actions?

I believe they have good in them only when they do what they can to end the behavior, like counseling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2009, 06:56 PM

11,864 posts, read 17,000,344 times
Hmmm. I think good people make mistakes, but I don't think good people keep repeating them over and over. Good people can make bad decisions, but I also think good people recognize their bad decisions and do what they can to rectify things.

Old 09-26-2009, 06:59 PM

16,224 posts, read 25,664,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post

I believe they have good in them only when they do what they can to end the behavior
Or something that is totally out of their control....

I think that even though he may be a "good man" on the outside, he`s not such a good man on the "inside."

Old 09-26-2009, 07:00 PM

105 posts, read 250,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinx View Post
Hmmm. I think good people make mistakes, but I don't think good people keep repeating them over and over. Good people can make bad decisions, but I also think good people recognize their bad decisions and do what they can to rectify things.

I agree with you Spinx. If they don't do anything to rectify the situation, then its hard for me to still think their a good person.

Old 09-26-2009, 07:06 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
1990 total recall
kuato

You are what you do. A man is defined by his actions, not his memory.

Old 09-26-2009, 07:17 PM

7,136 posts, read 12,673,848 times
I believe that good people make mistakes, but do not believe an abuser fits into the "good person" category. Abuse leaves permanent scars on the victim.

Old 09-27-2009, 09:09 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,034,466 times
I think when the abused refer to their abuser as a 'good' person it is an attempt to rationalize what happened to them.

Old 09-27-2009, 09:21 AM

9,230 posts, read 16,544,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
I think when the abused refer to their abuser as a 'good' person it is an attempt to rationalize what happened to them.
Definitely. Mackenzie Phillips actually accepts part of the responsibility for her relationship with her father because it was consensual. It's so sad.

Old 09-27-2009, 09:27 AM

Location: I never said I was perfect so no refunds here sorry!
6,489 posts, read 7,181,213 times
There really is no excuse!

Old 09-27-2009, 09:27 AM

1,057 posts, read 2,011,504 times
I found her honesty brave and frankly refreshing, BUT...

She said many times that her stepmother "accused" her of having a mental illness. She stated, "I was addicted to drugs, I did not have a mental illness, they are two totally different things".

No, they're not. Addiction is a mental illness, a disease. It's in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, it's treated with medications and therapeutic modalities. She did millions of people a disservice by saying that she was "only an addict" and did not have a mental illness. I think she is still using "addiction" as a defense to not only exonerate her father but herself. I am not judging her or her father. What a terrible, unbelievably difficult childhood (or lack of one).

I think there is still some pathology there...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships