Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2017, 09:55 PM

2,547 posts, read 4,229,741 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinhood View Post
My husband and I couldn't be considered as equal intellectually, but our intellects do compare. His expertise would be in science, and mechanics. Where as mine would be in literature, history and philosophy. I guess we are equal, but in opposite areas. I'm not sure this is great for making a couple closer though, because we have trouble conversing about topics other than our children and day to day family issues. This is why I spend much time on City-Data!
Same here! Hubby is a techie software engineer and loves science and technology; I'm a writer who loves literature, film, art, etc.; we both have university degrees and neither knows much about the other's field. However, I think being matched intellectually plays a huge role in our connection. It's not like we discuss literature or science on a daily basis, but we can discuss other issues and topics intelligently and on a similar level. We both have a similar view of the world, are open-minded, and can talk about topics where we have different stances, calmly debate our opinions and see each other's point of view. We share a similar dry and sometimes dark sense of humor. I find that among people I know, the less intelligent also tend to be more close-minded, inflexible, and easily offended. That does not refer to level of education or career btw, but more to an innate intelligence, which I have sometimes witnessed in people with little formal education.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2017, 10:04 PM

5,466 posts, read 3,065,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Blue View Post
I let him assume that he is. Maybe that is the secret to a long marriage...
Yep, my wife is Chinese, her idea of diplomacy is she lets me have everything her way.
Later on I realize I've been fooled again.

Old 05-20-2017, 11:30 PM

8,779 posts, read 9,454,139 times
In some aspects yes, in others no.

It's not an apples to apples situation.

Old 05-21-2017, 03:37 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,227,645 times
its never fair to judge a mans intellect,,,, a woman should be "smarter"

men think about sex ... as one magazine said every 7 seconds.... ,,even if that sounds too frequent its easy to conclude we think wayyyyy too much about sex or picturing women naked..
so its a wonder most men can tie our own shoes .... or function at all..

and yes most women are pretty damn smart......
except for one common default in the female gene sequence

a woman can spot a dust ball on the floor from 3 rooms away but cant remember where she parked a 3000lb car in a parking lot....

Old 05-21-2017, 08:03 AM

9,375 posts, read 6,980,084 times
I'm likely smarter than my wife but she is equally as intelligent if not slightly more so.

I'm strong to very strong in math and history where she is strong in science and medicine. I'm far better at tests especially standardized but she is much better at practical application formats. I work with somewhat sophisticated modeling and master data management where she is focused on cell cultures and null testing.

Anyway it's good to know your strengths and where you fall down along with your partner's.

Old 05-21-2017, 08:14 AM

9,375 posts, read 6,980,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesg View Post
Yep, my wife is Chinese, her idea of diplomacy is she lets me have everything her way.
Later on I realize I've been fooled again.
Yes indeed a pyrrhic victory. I've had many of those to only find that I indeed lost.

Old 05-23-2017, 02:11 PM

5,189 posts, read 5,336,773 times
My wife is superior to me in every way that matters.

Old 05-23-2017, 02:40 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,029,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Londoncowboy30 View Post
Thank god there is no one dumber/sillier than me! LMAO

Personally I like one that can match a few traits I've got

You're not dumb. I've been on this forum long enough, to know THAT. Silly? I like silly. Silly is fun.

Old 05-23-2017, 03:23 PM

15,675 posts, read 11,529,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
You're not dumb. I've been on this forum long enough, to know THAT. Silly? I like silly. Silly is fun.
That's very kind of you to say thank you

But I'm smart with the wit, common knowledge and can hold my own with quite a variety but a few subjects/situations I'm sure I wouldn't be considered clever shall we say

But it's horses for courses my love as we can't attract and intrigue them ALL so it's upwards and onwards in finding who we're compatible with which oddly enough I find most fun and intriguing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships