Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2007, 03:29 PM

786 posts, read 4,734,240 times

Advertisements

What would you think about being married to someone who was not as smart as you are? Does your husband or wife have the smarts you have? Do they challenge you intellectually?

The reason I ask is many of the women I know tell me they do not want to marry a smart man but someone sexy. (Not that someone can not be both). A number of women at the office was talking about the Men on the TV Show "Lost" and who they most wanted to marry. Was it Jack the smart Doctor? Or Hurley the soft and sweet man-child? Or Sawyer, the brunting, dark (in mood) macho type- who is not so bright. Most of the women wanted to get married to the Macho dark and dangerous Sawyer.

Brains are out, Macho and Dark at in.

Last edited by Dingler; 05-04-2007 at 03:41 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2007, 03:32 PM

942 posts, read 2,584,658 times
I could be wrong but Sawyer isnt dark. He's light skinned (tanned because of the island) and blonde. Very easy on the eyes.

Anyhow, I find my husband intelectially equal to me and we have a wide range of topics we discuss, with diferent opinions. I would not be able to marry someone that is not inteligent and I believe he wouldn't have either. We do enjoy each others company.

Old 05-04-2007, 03:58 PM

926 posts, read 1,460,639 times
Quote:
Is your husband or wife your INTELLECTUAL EQUAL?
My ex wife wasn't, but my 4 year old grandson is...although he may be insulted by my saying that.

Old 05-04-2007, 04:36 PM

3,106 posts, read 9,127,271 times
Even though my husband did not attend college he is able to hold his own in any almost any conversation. In fact, the other day at a birthday party, he got cornered by my friend's dad - a research physicist who works with the Dept of Defense on military sono technology. My eyes glazed over pretty quickly as they discussed the "square root of the blah-blah-blah" and "cavitating...on the subs (-marine)".

My friend pulled me aside to apologize for her dad. She said that her dad won't dumb down for anyone (he doesn't know how) and will keep going on even if he gets no response.

I laughed & said, "Do you know what cavitating is? No? Well apparently my husband does and they are getting along just fine!"

DH is my intellectual equal on many subjects but at the same time I trump him when it comes to the arts/classical music and he trumps me on audio technology. We balance each other nicely.

Old 05-04-2007, 08:41 PM

485 posts, read 1,648,748 times
My husband and I couldn't be considered as equal intellectually, but our intellects do compare. His expertise would be in science, and mechanics. Where as mine would be in literature, history and philosophy. I guess we are equal, but in opposite areas. I'm not sure this is great for making a couple closer though, because we have trouble conversing about topics other than our children and day to day family issues. This is why I spend much time on City-Data!

Old 05-04-2007, 09:12 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,518,681 times
I let him assume that he is. Maybe that is the secret to a long marriage...

Old 05-04-2007, 09:47 PM

6,351 posts, read 21,541,581 times
I have a two-year college degree, am well-read, and have LOTS of "life experience". My lovely wife has her Master's plus other specialized education and training. We're fairly evenly matched when it comes to ideaology (as long as "gun control" isn't the topic... ) both love travel, photography and fine dining. She's put up with me for 23 years so I NEVER question her judgement!

Old 05-05-2007, 01:00 AM

4,273 posts, read 15,256,733 times
If we took an IQ test, I would be "average" and my husband would either be "high average" or a "genius" so intellectually, I would say no, we're not equals. However, I manage the household, pay the bills, get our lives in order and he reads comic books and plays on his Playstation. Go figure!

We do hold wonderful conversation and I believe my DH has both brains and looks!

Old 05-05-2007, 03:41 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,050,321 times
Yes, I believe hubby and I are intellectual equals. There are things that he is more knowledgeable about than I am and vice versa. We each have our own hobbies, which makes the relationship very interesting.

Old 05-06-2007, 07:53 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,636,683 times
Absolutely or it would very dull indeed. We have different areas of expertise but our brains are pretty well matched.
We enjoy a healthy exchange of sometimes very varying views and opinions and that is what makes our relationship interesting. We are best friends and though I sometimes feel like slapping him with a wet fish when we have serious disagreement, I would find it very difficult to converse with someone I did not respect intellectually. Most of all he is fun to be with and I have never been bored with him in 18 years which is good !
He is far better than I am though with things like car and DIY stuff. I have butter fingers and am hopeless with manual things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships