Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 10:29 AM

24 posts, read 81,592 times

Advertisements

It's funny how some women want all the rights, but none of the responsibilities. The way I look at it, one family has one name, but then that was never an issue in mine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2009, 10:29 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,210,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IZthe411 View Post
Men- How would you feel if your wife to be didn't want to take your last name, or wanted to hyphenate it with hers?

Women- why would you not take his last name, or hypenate yours?

I had a discussion with some guys here at work yesterday, and they told me that if you meet a girl who had issues with taking your last name, RUN.

What do you think about it?
Any stories to share?
I have not changed my name since getting married. There are several reasons.
1. The paper work hassle (savings/checking accounts, drivers license, bills (mortgage, credit cards, etc), insurance, my job.

2. My husband had some debt before we married and we're paying it off bit by bit, but I'm not taking that name until he's in the clear.

3. My degrees are in my name, not his last name so...

4. I don't really like his last name. I'm Italian, not Irish. My dh doesn't really like his last name either. We've considered him taking my name or us making up a new name. I'd like us to have the same name if/when kids come along. Most likely I'll go the easiest route and keep my name professionally and take his name for at home use.

I was also very clear at my wedding reception that I would not be introduced as Mrs. John Mc". I didn't like that idea one bit. My name is not John.

Old 10-08-2009, 10:30 AM

4,941 posts, read 8,331,596 times
I took my husband's last name but it took 5 years before I changed my DL; bank info. etc.....had to make sure it was going to last before I did all of that pain in the *ss paperwork!

Old 10-08-2009, 10:30 AM

1,382 posts, read 2,387,501 times
Default cannibal bride

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmerkyGrl View Post
Pro-tip: If you let a woman feel empowered, she is more likely to act more feminine to you and do the things chauvinistic men compartmentalize in their miniscule minds about female roles. If you try to force traditional female roles on a woman, you'll not only get lashback but probably a stiletto heel shoved down your throat.
Ahhh .........
Todays woman.
Watch out guys.
She will eat your head.

Old 10-08-2009, 10:31 AM

1,776 posts, read 4,006,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_factory View Post
Indeed. Why should I buy a diamond ring, just because of some archaic tradition? I'll just twist some paper clips together, it's basically the same thing. I'm a modern man.

And tuxedos and dresses for the wedding? That's old-fashioned. We're going to wear matching neoprene unitards to celebrate our androgyny in comfort.

In fact, weddings themselves don't make any sense. Too stressful for my taste. We will just get some cases of natural light and go water skiing. The pastor can drive the boat. It makes more sense, since we'll already be in our neoprene unitards.

Modern life is gonna be AWESOME.
Nice One.

It's called consideration for your spouse, and respect.

Old 10-08-2009, 10:32 AM

2,482 posts, read 8,736,770 times
I find it amusing how this thread has somehow spiraled into one where somehow the posters assume they're about to spend the rest of their lives with each other so "as long as you can live up to these standards!" Pretty sure none of you are dating each other and never will marry each other.

As I mentioned in a previous post I would never allow anyone to have a say in whether or not I take my husband's last name. Anyone that tried to do so would definitely have my 3-inch heel shoved into one of their orifices.

With that said, I am a traditional woman that does everything (ok, except knit. I create string disasters) your 1940's woman does---the key thing is I do it willingly because it makes me happy to make my man happy. Being a traditional woman, white weddings, one-knee proposals, and a 2 ct diamond ring will also make me very happy. Would I ever demand that of my husband? Heck no. The only way I would want to have those things would be if he agreed to them out of his own willingness.

Moral of the story? Take care of your own shiat and the things you wish for will come to you. Stop making other people live to your standards. Make yourself live to your standards.

I'll get off my soap box now.

Old 10-08-2009, 10:33 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,752,634 times
Quote:
If that was the girl I was dealing with, we would have never made it to the alter. You sound like she's ripped your sac and had it brozed, on her desk.

That's the attitude my white-collar co-workers were talking about. It's important to you, because it defines your union. If she had issues with it, we would not have made it to the ceremony. It's not insecurity here. It's disregard for the other mate.

I can understand if a woman for professional purposes kept her last name at work, but outside of work in everything else she would have my last name.

It differs from man to man, but it's something that needs to be discussed. I would think for most men, if , outside of professional purposes, a woman refuses to change her name for me, she's not the woman for me.
In other words what's good for the goose isn't good for the gander. I think your whole argument just went down the tubes with that one comment.

Old 10-08-2009, 10:34 AM

2,482 posts, read 8,736,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertjohnson View Post
Ahhh .........
Todays woman.
Watch out guys.
She will eat your head.
About time today's man learned some respect

Old 10-08-2009, 10:35 AM

1,776 posts, read 4,006,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Dan View Post
Just curious. Do you think the tradition of a woman giving up her last name to take her husbands began when women were considered nothing more than a mans property?
No, it's the recognition that they are now a new family. That's one of the sacrifices a woman has to deal with. That's what a marriage is all about, right? Sacrifice and compromise.

Old 10-08-2009, 10:37 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,752,634 times
Quote:
No, it's the recognition that they are now a new family. That's one of the sacrifices a woman has to deal with. That's what a marriage is all about, right? Sacrifice and compromise.
But only where the woman is concerned ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships