Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 07:50 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,871,065 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Not every female doctor or lawyer WOULD keep her name, but many would not want to give it up if they thought doing so affected their name recognition in their career/field.

Ideally, I think it's nice when couples share a last name once kids come along (just makes it easier on kids and gives the family a sense of identity), but plenty of professional woman wouldn't agree with me I'm sure
Your first point above, I disagree with....if they are really a great doctor or lawyer, a name change will not matter. Plus, their patients or clients will continue to come to them if they change their last name. What also irks me is when female TV news reporters and anchors on my local TV stations and don't change their name. They think they're some kind of celebrity when the reality is that they're on the news in Scranton/Wilkes-Barre, PA, nobody outside of this small area knows who they are anyways. And, once again, if they're so great at their job or well-known, a name change should not affect their career.

Your last point I agree with 100%. We have enough crap these days with unmarried parents and remarried parents and kids having different last names from the parents...we don't need to add to that because mom refuses to give up her maiden name.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2009, 07:52 AM

4,539 posts, read 8,367,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stac2007 View Post
It was never the issue with my wife. She wanted my last name and no other. I am glad for it because it represented our union.
Same with my wife. She wanted my last name.

Old 10-08-2009, 07:55 AM

2,984 posts, read 5,869,960 times
I recall my sister in-law saying to my wife to be you are going to hypenate your name like mine? I got very angry at her and told her to bud out and get lost. She had no right to ask such a question. I told her my mother loved her married name and Cindy had wanted the same since I asked for her hand.

Old 10-08-2009, 07:55 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,871,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
You "wouldn't stand for it"?? LOL, you sound like a real catch to me!
Not that I would be marrying anyone who would even be thinking about hyphenated names and the like anyhow. I run the other way from radical feminism.

Old 10-08-2009, 07:56 AM

2,482 posts, read 8,747,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
Your first point above, I disagree with....if they are really a great doctor or lawyer, a name change will not matter. Plus, their patients or clients will continue to come to them if they change their last name. What also irks me is when female TV news reporters and anchors on my local TV stations and don't change their name. They think they're some kind of celebrity when the reality is that they're on the news in Scranton/Wilkes-Barre, PA, nobody outside of this small area knows who they are anyways. And, once again, if they're so great at their job or well-known, a name change should not affect their career.

Your last point I agree with 100%. We have enough crap these days with unmarried parents and remarried parents and kids having different last names from the parents...we don't need to add to that because mom refuses to give up her maiden name.
Well I'm just thankful that you're not running the show for marriage/social laws, then!

Old 10-08-2009, 07:56 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,117,330 times
One of my friends kept her last name or hyphenated it I think because of her profession--she was known as "Amy Smith" and didn't want to change.

However, I believe because her husband has a silly last name ripe for mockery, she uses the above as an excuse.

My husband had a silly last name people always make fun of but I took it anyhow because I like having an English last name.

Old 10-08-2009, 08:01 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,971,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post

Try really hard for a minute to put yourself in a woman's shoes. Suppose you were REALLY good at what you do. Maybe you are a master carpenter or you discovered a cure for cancer. EVERYONE in your city and maybe even your state, knows your name. Your name is synonymous with your accomplishments.

Now, suppose after 10-20 years of using that name of yours to further your career and advance yourself financially, someone comes along that you fall in love with, someone you want to spend the rest of your life. Imagine how disheartening it would be to discover their inflexibility regarding you keeping your own name - your brand, so to speak - just because you two got married. Come on, be fair.

A person who has worked hard and accomplished much has the right to keep their good name without being judged a "feminist" for pete's sake If they have slaved to get that phD or MD behind their names, you as their beloved would be selfish to try to take that away from them.

Old 10-08-2009, 08:02 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,459,068 times
My last name is hyphenated. My dad passed away about four months before I got married and I decided to keep his last name.

My exdh never said he had a problem with it but when Brad Paisley got married and his wife either did the hyphenated or just kept hers, he was all bent out of shape and said it was so stupid.

I imagine he was also talking his true feelings about what I had done as well.

But dag on if he was going to tell me I couldn't. If he were to tell me he wouldn't stand for it he could have kissed me goodbye and that would be that.

And I am so not a feminist. When my kids were young my place was in the home and that is just how it was. No one told me to do it either. It was my choice.

Wow.

Old 10-08-2009, 08:03 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,459,068 times
I will say that with the hyphenated last name there is a great deal of difficulties in the drs office. No one knows what to do with it!

Old 10-08-2009, 08:06 AM

24,644 posts, read 38,747,121 times
I have no problem with any of the options. My wife took my name.

I know couples where he has his name, she has hers, and the kid has his. I know couples where he has his, she has hers, and the kids have both hyphenated. I know one couple where they both share both names, hyphenated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships