Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2009, 10:51 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,503,830 times

Advertisements

I think JET JOCKEY is a wonderful name and she should be allowed to keep it. Even if she has terrible taste in beer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2009, 10:51 AM

29,762 posts, read 34,469,808 times
Quote:
They aren't my standards, they're the standards that have been established throughout history.
And standards should never change or evolve with the times. Back to separate drinking fountains and child labor!

Old 10-08-2009, 10:54 AM

1,776 posts, read 4,007,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
And standards should never change or evolve with the times. Back to separate drinking fountains and child labor!
Kill the dramatics. Please.

Old 10-08-2009, 10:55 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,219,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Dan View Post
Just curious. Do you think the tradition of a woman giving up her last name to take her husbands began when women were considered nothing more than a mans property?
Yep, that is the case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IZthe411 View Post
Most men won't stand for it. Some don't care, and that's their right, but to me it says a lot about a woman's attitude towards the institution.
Half correct. It's an attitude about the institution when it involves specific types of men, tho, not across the board.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McNed View Post
It's funny how some women want all the rights, but none of the responsibilities. The way I look at it, one family has one name, but then that was never an issue in mine.
Want all the rights? You mean the same rights as a man? But, none of the responsibilities? Since when have men (in general) taken on the responsibility of name changing?

Quote:
No, it's the recognition that they are now a new family. That's one of the sacrifices a woman has to deal with. That's what a marriage is all about, right? Sacrifice and compromise.
Why shouldn't the man change his name?

Quote:
Then don't get married if your identity is that important to you. The purpose of marriage is to take two lives and roll them into one. The more identity you want to keep, the more you show that you aren't really into the relationship for the right reasons.
Um, I shouldn't have gotten married, then? Really? We have several people in this thread that have been married/divorced a few times, but the clincher is a matter of names, rather than quality marriages.

A more reasonable approach, imo, is to not assume that any of us know anyone else well enough to determine who should or shouldn't marry. Frankly, it would make more sense to tell the divorced folk in this thread that should have not re-married given past troubles.

Old 10-08-2009, 10:55 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,842,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
You're single...big surprise...

Old 10-08-2009, 11:01 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,660,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Dan View Post
I think JET JOCKEY is a wonderful name and she should be allowed to keep it. Even if she has terrible taste in beer.
HEY!

I have fabulous taste in beer! In fact, it was a rule at my old house that beer in an aluminum can wasn't allowed. People who brought can-beer had to sit out on the driveway and drink it.

Old 10-08-2009, 11:01 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,783,131 times
Quote:
Yeah and by looking at your profile, I see that the goose has been cut loose. I can understand why.
Because my profile states that I'm divorced? You wouldn't be so rude if you knew why, but making assumptions seems to be your forté!

Old 10-08-2009, 11:02 AM

4,941 posts, read 8,334,537 times
Quote:
Then don't get married if your identity is that important to you. The purpose of marriage is to take two lives and roll them into one. The more identity you want to keep, the more you show that you aren't really into the relationship for the right reasons.
So you are of the belief that women who have created an identity in a professional capacity are not worthy of marriage because of not taking a man's last name? That is ridiculous thinking.....

NEWSFLASH TO ALL WOMEN WHO HAVE PAID THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS AND SPENT COUNTLESS HOURS MAKING A NAME FOR YOURSELF IN YOUR PROFESSION....PREPARE TO BE OLD, UNMARRIED MAIDENS WITH 80 CATS IF YOU DO NOT TAKE THE MANS LAST NAME!!!

Old 10-08-2009, 11:05 AM

1,776 posts, read 4,007,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Because my profile states that I'm divorced? You wouldn't be so rude if you knew why, but making assumptions seems to be your forté!

Like you entered this thread assuming that taking a man's last name is the equivalent of being reigned over, Goose!

Old 10-08-2009, 11:07 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,219,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seeniorita View Post
So you are of the belief that women who have created an identity in a professional capacity are not worthy of marriage because of not taking a man's last name? That is ridiculous thinking.....

NEWSFLASH TO ALL WOMEN WHO HAVE PAID THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS AND SPENT COUNTLESS HOURS MAKING A NAME FOR YOURSELF IN YOUR PROFESSION....PREPARE TO BE OLD, UNMARRIED MAIDENS WITH 80 CATS IF YOU DO NOT TAKE THE MANS LAST NAME!!!
I know. It's pretty silly. I'm grateful that my husband is not this goofy. If he were, of course, he would not be my husband.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships