Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 11:37 AM

4,941 posts, read 8,348,214 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
It may be selfish of me, but it's nice to know someone else is in a similar boat as me. I hope this economy picks up and I can get back on track. Even thinking of going back to school, changing my career, fashion is such a hard motherf.... somebody should have slapped some sense into me when I chose this career path for myself.
I am also looking to change careers. I have done real estate for over 7 years and I am ready for a change. Although I am finding it hard to transition out of it. I can't do the office thing anymore so.....I'll keep looking.

One day I will figure out what I want to be when I grow up!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2009, 12:15 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,121,447 times
We moved here 2 years ago and I was ready willing and able to work full time because my husband has a night job.

Well, the economy and my being at home as a mom for years has wrecked those plans.

I haven't worked since August 08 when I held a temp job for six months.

I want a job so badly to have my own money and own career.
I simply did not go to 6 years of college to clean the house and daydream about 'life outside the four walls.'

Prior to having my son, I ALWAYS worked. I worked 2 jobs to put myself through grad school.

This economy SUCKS.

Old 10-14-2009, 12:18 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,335,011 times
My daughter is 14 years old. I tell her all the time (without harping) that she needs to make her own way in the world. After all, even if she married a heart surgeon, any number of things could happen where she needs to make a living.

Old 10-14-2009, 12:49 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,427,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
My daughter is 14 years old. I tell her all the time (without harping) that she needs to make her own way in the world. After all, even if she married a heart surgeon, any number of things could happen where she needs to make a living.
That's a very good advice. Women need to be able to provide for themselves even if they don't have work at some point or the other in the lives.

Old 10-14-2009, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
We moved here 2 years ago and I was ready willing and able to work full time because my husband has a night job.

Well, the economy and my being at home as a mom for years has wrecked those plans.

I haven't worked since August 08 when I held a temp job for six months.

I want a job so badly to have my own money and own career.
I simply did not go to 6 years of college to clean the house and daydream about 'life outside the four walls.'

Prior to having my son, I ALWAYS worked. I worked 2 jobs to put myself through grad school.

This economy SUCKS.
I hear you. When is it supposed to improve anyway? I heard not until 2011.
We will get there, let's hope for a bright stable future.

Old 10-14-2009, 01:55 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,997,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
No, this is not another "is she a gold-digger" thread.

I wanted to know if there are any other women here who at some point in their lives were completely dependant on their husbands/partners financially.
Eversince I was a teenager in high school, I always worked. Sometimes even 2-3 jobs at a time. I've been with my husband for 10 years and most of the time I had a job. I took some time off when my son was born, but even then I knew that before I know it I will be back in a work force. Yeah, we have a joint bank account and money were never an issue with us.
Now, we have moved to a new state and he is the only one working. With bad economy, I still find myself unemployed. He has zero problem with being the only one working for now. He tells me to just relax and enjoy my time off. Something along the line: you worked for so many years, just enjoy this time, stay home for awhile.
I find myself in an unfamiliar territory. Why am I so uncomfortable being dependant so much on my husband making money? Why can't I put myself into a frame of mind of a traditional woman and just be a housewife for awhile? Why do I have to have that freedom and independence?

There probably will be women rolling my eyes reading my post like: "i wish i had your problems, I have to hunt for myself and my family". Yes, I completely understand that I should be grateful and I have it good, but I really am struggling now emotionally. Hopefully I will get a job soon, but I just wanted to hear if someone else can share their experience.

I have had years of my life where I have been completely dependent on my husband financially, especially as a young stay at home mom, but even later for other reasons. But I had NO PROBLEM with this. He may have taken care of me financially, but I took care of him emotionally, sexually and physically A good marriage is made up of teamwork!

Old 10-14-2009, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
I have had years of my life where I have been completely dependent on my husband financially, especially as a young stay at home mom, but even later for other reasons. But I had NO PROBLEM with this. He may have taken care of me financially, but I took care of him emotionally, sexually and physically A good marriage is made up of teamwork!
Truer words had not been spoken.

Old 10-14-2009, 01:59 PM

Quote:
I agree 100%. At the same time, that doesn't mean a woman should not, if worst comes to worst, have the education and training to support herself or her family.

Old 10-14-2009, 02:03 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,997,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
I agree 100%. At the same time, that doesn't mean a woman should not, if worst comes to worst, have the education and training to support herself or her family.
Agreed, and I do

Old 10-14-2009, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Agreed, and I do
Thanks. I just know too many women from my mother's--and even my--generation who are totally helpless. As in not knowing how to balance a checkbook.

I know one woman, a doctor's wife, who thought she had the golden ticket because she married a pulmonologist. She played lots of tennis and had four kids until, last spring, her husband walked in and said he was leaving her for his office manager.

This woman gets alimony and child support but, beyond that, all she knows how to do is swing a tennis racket. I mean, she has spectacular store-bought boobs, but no mom of four is going to make much twirling down a pole at the Kit Kat Klub.

Also, there is the case of my mother. My dad dropped dead at 56, and my mother had not worked since age 24, unless you count her hobby job as a realtor. My dad, an improvident spendthrift, left her with $10,000 in life insurance. So I had to work two jobs for two years. One check went to me, the other one to her, until she got on her feet. Even then, if my grandmother had not died six months after my father, she wouldn't have had a pot to **** in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships