Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2009, 09:36 AM

84 posts, read 268,265 times

Advertisements

I call myself a brainy intellectual type on this board because it is true. When I was in high School and College, I got straight A's without trying very hard. I score very high in a IQ test. I had great SAT and GRE scores. Up to recently I worked in an academic environment in research. I am usually the smartest woman in the room.

I find in general people do not like smart women or men. The most popular kids are usually into beer, sports and carrying on. That seems to be the case in the adult world also. I run into very few people who really follow current events or read non fiction books. Most people are intellectually lazy and uninterested.

If you were looking for a friend or a spouse, would you want the smartest person in the room or someone who is just about average? What do you think about brainy intellectual types?

(This question is not about me or my silly questions or posts, just the concept of friendships with really smart people)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2009, 09:41 AM

748 posts, read 1,314,024 times
I like guys that are smart but not uptight. Some intellectuals I have known were too into their smarts and cared little to build a relationship.

So... I go for smart guys, but not necessarily intellectuals, guys that I can carry a conversation with, that know about current events as well as what bar is showing the next MMA fight lol...

Old 10-16-2009, 09:44 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,180,768 times
I wouldn't consider my friends childish or children into drinking beer or partying, (so I question how old you are) but rather smart and savy. Some know things I don't and I learn and I know some things they don't - it's an even exchange, but different subjects.

But the issue comes down to not how much a person knows, but how they execute that knowledge and being intelligent can work against a person if they look down their nose at everyone or correct people constantly or act superior. I have one friend that just blows me out of the water with the things he knows, but also makes me comfortable enough to say, 'how so?' or 'I don't understand?"

There are plenty of intelligent people out there who don't feel the need to over execute it.

Old 10-16-2009, 09:52 AM

84 posts, read 268,265 times
I know many very intelligent (high IQ) academically gifted people who hate learning and only go to school because they have to and have no interest about anything beyond the scores of a football game.

I agree, intellectual snobs are a real bore also. But I like the type of person who does well on the TV Show "Jeopardy" vs Jerry Springer.

Old 10-16-2009, 09:52 AM

4,483 posts, read 5,329,437 times
I would love to have friends who are on an intellectual level more comparable to mine.

I am most probably not as smart as you. I didn't get straight As and had to work for the A's I got, but I consider myself fairly intelligent, and love to read.

Unfortunately, some of those who are close to me are not that intelligent. Average or slightly above average, but I've realized that a pet peeve of mine is proper written and spoken grammar, and some folks I know fail miserably on those counts.

AS LONG AS this intelligence comes without arrogance and comes with social grace, sense of humor, and character, I would love "brainy intellectual" people as friends, lovers, etc. I really hope that if I do get married, that I don't marry a woman who isn't that smart. It'll drive me crazy.

Old 10-16-2009, 10:49 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,725,973 times
Thank you for the offer, but no.

Best of luck.

Old 10-16-2009, 12:06 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,563,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainy Intellectual Type View Post
I score very high in a IQ test.
In my book, you just lost about 40 points.

Old 10-16-2009, 12:08 PM

6,777 posts, read 13,550,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
In my book, you just lost about 40 points.
Lol

Old 10-16-2009, 12:09 PM

5,077 posts, read 14,641,594 times
I find that people who are cultured and intellectual along with having a sense of humor and being open-minded are the sexiest. I find it hilarious when people compare their number IQ to their intellect when the two although related really don't go hand-in-hand. A person can be very intellectual through having travels, reading, writing, etc and may not score as high as an IQ as someone else. Intellect is a total picture, not just the numbers.

Old 10-16-2009, 12:16 PM

2,191 posts, read 4,806,016 times
I want someone who is intelligent but not to the point where they over analyze everything or don't have an active imagination. Its also a turnoff when they avoid having fun and just attempt to further their mental conglomerate of knowledge by reading and studying things. There needs to be a point in between where they are smarter than average, but also enjoy all the fun stuff of normal life. Sophistication at times, and at others they get dirty. I also don't like it when very intelligent women attempt to put up some type of pride shield to make themself feel more important than everyone else, what a turnoff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships