Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 01:36 PM

17 posts, read 29,547 times

Advertisements

My husband is depressed and out of work. He watches TV all day and all night and he doesn't come to bed until the middle of the night. Our marriage is dead. I wonder when I'm home why I'm not at work.

Old 06-29-2010, 03:19 PM

2,788 posts, read 5,094,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
What do you do if you are married to someone who is content to watch TV from 4 pm til bedtime everyday. And all weekend...

Job hunting hasn't been successful because he is only 1/2 way looking.

I know he is depressed but when does a wife quit trying to cheer
a husband up..never helps anyway...

If I suggest things to go do he always has reasons why it isn't a good time.

We haven't used the boat all summer because it was too hot..
now it is too cold...

I used to sit in the TV room with him just to be together but I can't
anymore..my brain is turning to mush...

I would love for someone who is like my husband to tell me what
I should do...

I am tired and could really use his help ...

I suggest stop doing it all
He sounds lazy and he does nothing because he knows you will tolerate it and d0 everything yourself

Old 06-29-2010, 05:03 PM

1,994 posts, read 3,214,778 times
Quote:
I used to sit in the TV room with him just to be together but I can't anymore..my brain is turning to mush...
I hear you.

With us it's my bf constantly on the computer, me usually cooking, washing up or watching tv. We hardly interact all night and 99% of the time I go to bed alone and he stays up on the computer.

Old 09-21-2011, 04:41 AM

1 posts, read 2,144 times
Hi kelly237,

I know this may look odd as a comment after 2 years, but what happened with your TV-husband issue? I really need to know I am going through the exact same thing now.
To be more specific, my husband has been without a job for 2 years and a half, the first 2 years I was so supportive, i would do anything to cheer him up and I kept on encouraging him and saying money doesn't matter I have a good job and it was enough to live well for both.
But I guess my excessive support transformed him in a very lazy person, and he watches TV all day, doesn't even bother doing a minor thing at home and not even talk to me when i am back from work, tired while he's been just watching TV all day. I have asked him to take just any job to be able to get out of home but nop ........Mr husband needs to have an offer better than what he had before to accept it.
I believe I have tried everything with him from being the nicest wife on earth to being a demanding one recently, I just need to know how this will end up.
I'd appreciate if you can let me know.

Old 09-21-2011, 05:37 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,742,360 times
Kelly may see this and reply but on a thread on another CD forum last month, she advised that she was widowed this past Spring.

Old 09-21-2011, 02:17 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,052,656 times
Plan something with him. Anything. Something fun or a home improvement project you want to work on. Negotiate the date and the activity. Then make sure it happens.

You probably have to take the lead here and spearhead the project. Start small with one activity at a time and make sure it's fun and you accomplish something. Life is hard these days and lots of people are depressed. Watching TV is enough to depress almost anyone.

The economy is awful and millions are out of work or underemployed. But try to make home a happy place. That doesn't have to cost much.

Old 09-21-2011, 02:44 PM

538 posts, read 1,522,811 times
Quote:
I know he is depressed but when does a wife quit trying to cheer
a husband up..never helps anyway...
Well, it's all in the way you are being supportive (e.g. trying to cheer him up). Are you supportive, or just disgusted by it? Start there.

Old 09-21-2011, 05:19 PM

5,460 posts, read 7,765,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I agree about depression. Sometimes when people are afraid of failure, they quit trying. It can be very scary to try absolutely as hard as you can and STILL fail, because what are you supposed to do then? So they hide.
Your words above are so very true, friend Julia...and I've definitely been there; done that...

To OP: I think that many of the posters here have provided excellent suggestions

Old 09-21-2011, 05:51 PM

1,204 posts, read 2,528,697 times
I would get him to the doctor and to a therapist for help. He won't get any better sitting around and if you don't light the fire under him, who will?

Old 09-21-2011, 06:43 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,295,393 times
kelly237...keep trying to get him off that couch...even if it's just to go for a simple walk together...tell him you miss him, and you'd love to do something together, especially now that he has the time....dress real fine, and try to lure him away!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.