Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 02:06 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,092,967 times

Advertisements

I was watching Oprah and they had on these poor women who got HIV from this guy...

Made me glad I am married and boring and so is my husband!!

I guess because I came of age in the 80s I never thought about STDs and so on.

But all these folks in their 50s, 60s and more who are going back into the dating game...they have no clue what these others are walking around with...people do lie as well.

I really find it kind of disturbing.

Maybe there is a reason to be 'sexually discreet' and not jump in bed with anyone.

Makes you realize cheating on someone can not only be horrible it can be deadly..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2009, 02:10 PM

196 posts, read 564,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
While awareness of this should be promoted often it seems advocates use scare tactics and inflate statistics to further a "safe sex" agenda. I guess they figuire if they scare you sexless that will be the best way of preventing a STD.
It si working!!!

Old 10-21-2009, 02:18 PM

26,142 posts, read 31,219,258 times
A listing of all STD's and statistics http://www.ashastd.org/learn/learn_statistics.cfm (broken link)

More than half of all people will have an STD/STI at some point in their lifetime. [1]

The estimated total number of people living in the US with a viral STD/STI is over 65 million.

[2] Every year, there are at least 19 million new cases of STDs/STIs, some of which are curable. [2,3]

More than $8 billion is spent each year to diagnose and treat STDs/STIs and their complications. This figure does not include HIV. [4]

In a national survey of US physicians, fewer than one-third routinely screened patients for STDs/STIs. [5]

Less than half of adults ages 18 to 44 have ever been tested for an STD/STI other than HIV/AIDS.

Each year, one in four teens contracts an STD/STI. [6]

One in two sexually active persons will contact an STD/STI by age 25. [7]

About half of all new STDs/STIs in 2000 occurred among youth ages 15 to 24. [8]

The total estimated costs of these nine million new cases of these STDs/STIs was $6.5 billion, with HIV and human papillomavirus (HPV) accounting for 90% of the total burden. [9]

]Of the STDs/STIs that are diagnosed, only some (gonorrhea, syphilis, chlamydia, hepatitis A and B) are required to be reported to state health departments and the CDC.[/LEFT]

]One out of 20 people in the United States will get infected with hepatitis B (HBV) some time during their lives. [10] Hepatitis B is 100 times more infectious than HIV. [11][/LEFT]

...Continued on page link

Worldwide HIV and AIDS statistics broken down by country Worldwide AIDS & HIV Statistics Including Deaths
Worldwide HIV and Aids Statisics broken down by country

Old 10-21-2009, 02:21 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,754,151 times
Does herpes simplex 1 count? Quite a lot of people have that. I do. I get a cold sore on my bottom lip about once every five years.

Old 10-21-2009, 02:25 PM

13,607 posts, read 21,419,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladybug24 View Post
It si working!!!

That is like saying I don't drive because look at all the car accidents out there. It may not be politically correct to say so but still the large majority HIV and Hep C of infected are Afirican American, gays and needle users.

Yes all types of people can or have a STD whether it is curable or not but when I read on this forum someone saying "STD's are everywhere" they are blowing it out of proportion.

Check sources and facts before you sware off sex all together. Of course one should use caution and be select but giving up sex all together specially if you are single is just extreme IMO.

BTW if you are worried about it there are other sex things you can do other than full intercourse. Oral sex is low risk, in fact there is not one reported case of getting HIV from oral specially for the receiver. Mutual masterbation is another alternative. You can do each other and gratify each other without actually banging each other.....

Old 10-21-2009, 02:26 PM

26,142 posts, read 31,219,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Does herpes simplex 1 count? Quite a lot of people have that. I do. I get a cold sore on my bottom lip about once every five years.

Check the link I posted above to see if it's on the list.

Old 10-21-2009, 02:29 PM

1,364 posts, read 1,931,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
No, it is not a sexually trasmitted desease. Also called "shingles", it is most prevelant in the elderly, but infects all age ranges.
It's the 'good herpes' strain.

Old 10-21-2009, 02:33 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,248,621 times
I think that's total BS. Of course, in some circles the ratio may be 1 in 1 ; however, I don't run in these circles and couldn’t care less.

Old 10-21-2009, 02:38 PM

8,410 posts, read 39,292,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amerifree View Post
No, it is not a sexually trasmitted desease. Also called "shingles", it is most prevelant in the elderly, but infects all age ranges.
IT can be an STD if you give oral to someone. There is no "good" herpes. HSV-1 cause even more health complications that type 2 like bell's palsy etc.

Old 10-21-2009, 02:42 PM

11,169 posts, read 10,661,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amerifree View Post
Chicken Pox and Shingles are both Herpes strains - Simplex 1, if you want to be cliche and call it, "good herpes."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships