Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2012, 12:24 AM

1,201 posts, read 1,579,050 times

Advertisements

My mom had them often (dated my dad from her freshman year in high school), and I have never got them. I always found that weird, but never thought about it being inherited.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2012, 12:40 AM

17,869 posts, read 20,999,231 times
hahahaha. Ohioans are a weird bunch.

Old 12-15-2014, 04:49 PM

3 posts, read 3,464 times
Up to 80% of US population has the virus. Eastern Europe where I'm from has even higher percentage and I got it from my parents as a kid.

If you had more than 5 sexual partners or kissed more than 10 people, or your parents kissed you as a kid while they had an outbreak, chances are - you already have it.

HSV 1 and 2 are virtually the same, with the 2nd actually being less dangerous in terms of potential side effects.

I have lived in committed relationships for 9 years and my partners never got an outbreak. Which means they either didn't catch it, or their immunity took care of it. We never kissed while I had an outbreak though.

From what I've seen, the worst outbreaks happen to people who are like me and got it in childhood. It's definitely unpleasant, but not disastrous and quite normal (common). The worst discomfort comes from stress of being misunderstood.

If you meet someone who has herpes (which you do all the time), there is no reason to disregard them as potential partners.

Old 12-15-2014, 04:50 PM

3 posts, read 3,464 times
Up to 80% of US population has the virus. Eastern Europe where I'm from has even higher percentage and I got it from my parents as a kid.

If you had more than 5 sexual partners or kissed more than 10 people, or your parents kissed you as a kid while they had an outbreak, chances are - you already have it.

HSV 1 and 2 are virtually the same, with the 2nd actually being less dangerous in terms of potential side effects.

I have lived in committed relationships for 9 years and my partners never got an outbreak. Which means they either didn't catch it, or their immunity took care of it. We never kissed while I had an outbreak though.

From what I've seen, the worst outbreaks happen to people who are like me and got it in childhood. It's definitely unpleasant, but not disastrous and quite normal (common). The worst discomfort comes from stress of being misunderstood.

If you meet someone who has herpes (which you do all the time), there is no reason to disregard them as potential partners.

Old 02-25-2017, 03:08 PM

1 posts, read 889 times
Yesterday, my doctors nurse called me about mid afternoon notifying me that I had hsv1 (oral).For the past 6-month or so I've never had any sexual interaction since my last ex, nor have I kissed anyone. I don't kiss any girl I see if I have sexual intercourse it's always protective but I don't kiss cus I choose not to and I haven't had any symptoms I haven't even gotten sick not even a cold or any cold sore...I did have a canker sore under my tongue that only lasted a week. I have a healthy life style I work out 2hrs mon- fri sticking to my old high school wrestling work outs...I've told the girl that I have been seeing and she was very understanding about it, we haven't kissed yet or had sex.
I thought it could have been smoking hookah but it always with family members, having an idea from who cus the lifestyle that he tells me and unprotective sex figuring it could be from them.

Old 12-25-2017, 03:02 PM

6 posts, read 11,855 times
The funny thing is in other nations, like China, 90% of the people have the hsv1 igg positive , and for people aged 40, 100% people have it, and a lot don't show any symptoms, and it is not an issue at all in China, we deal with it like cold flu...it is really not even a thing we will discuss much...recently I am dating a guy and he talked about STDs, so did a full panel STD test and found I have hsv1 igg positive, I never has had cold sire I then talked with my best friend in China, who is a doctor in a very good hospital, and she investigated it and talked with other doctors and told me if it was just igg positive, it should not be contagious...but after I told my bf I had hsv1 positive, I can sense he is so scared and he even avoided kissing me, which is reasonable , but certainly it affects our relationship, I was kinda sad about this, as he is the kind of man I want , and our relationship was going pretty well, we called each other Perfect , while, I certainly won't be with someone who dont accept me, even I have to end up being alone forever...

People here get panic about it so much , I guess also because a lot of people here get genital herps because of HSV1,
reason 1, less kids have exposed the virus here, and they dont have the antibody when they grow up, so when they grow up, they get genital herpes through oral sex,
Reason 2, sex is much open here, I am 30, and my generation, a lot of us never have had sex in high sex, me, I had never had a date before high school , and a lot of us are the same in my generation, my majority of good friends just have had sex with the same man and got married, it would be the case to me if I didn't come here in USA, my ex and I broke up after 3 years long distance relationship ...

Old 12-25-2017, 03:13 PM

16,960 posts, read 17,345,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CortlandGirl79 View Post
Do you get cold sores? Are you afraid to date anyone who's had one? Is he freaking out for no reason?
I cant recall getting a cold sore, ever.

Afraid, no, but I'm highly unlikely to kiss a woman with a cold sore outbreak.

Old 12-26-2017, 09:15 PM

2,947 posts, read 5,193,788 times
Long passage ahead...

I am 57 and a gay male. I have a cold sore now. I don't recall getting it last year but could be wrong. But over the years, yes, it appears for maybe a week or two? And using "Abreve" seems to have mixed results in quick healing. That's over $21 for a petite tube (over-the-counter); Carmex lip balm, not specifically for cold sores, (the petite cannister, perhaps a bit different texture than the small tube of goo), for just a couple of dollars, seems it may have helped with healing in the past at times. Not sure, though.

Not sure when the lip sore actually became apparent to me. Decades ago? Did people in the1930s or even the 50s and 60s have them to the extent apparently seen now in some Americans, promiscuous or not? Can you get it simply by drinking from a friend's beer bottle?

I didn't know that it's a form of herpes until decades ago when a straight female acquaintance of mine educated me, telling me she had a sore that day during one of our social outings; I didn't believe it, that it could be "that" nasty word, herpes! "Cold sore" sounds more innocent, perhaps. She didn't seem embarrassed about the sore.
Sexually, she was single and a bit *loose," I believe, as she had a drinking problem, and seemed to meet guys at bars randomly and sometimes go home with them. I'm not in any position to judge! (She had never married, even into her 50s. Somewhat attractive, Bachelor's degree, health conscious and a runner, fun, etc.) But... perhaps a bit "loose" when drinking? Well, maybe not more so than other woman her age then back in the 80s and 90s?

Anyway...

So, genital herpes burst onto the scene in the early 80s? What about cold sores...long before?

I have never had it diagnosed but maybe I should ask my doctor. Didn't know it could be diagnosed if no symptoms (which for most, I believe, is most of the year).
But, doctors and nurses have never asked me or educated me; was it even mentioned in sex ed class in 1977, or was I not paying attention that day? For public safety, shouldn't they ask all patients, as well as perform a test during a physical? Is there a vaccine, like for HPV, they can give young people nowadays? Above, a poster said he had a test to confirm it, so I assume it can be detected even without symptoms.

I don't do much or any kissing in most "encounters" for some reason. I have met some guys (they're usually drunk) who tried kissing me when I had no interest -- and their breath often smelled horrible! But in these situations, gay or straight, cold sores can and will be passed? Some, for some reason, perhaps may not get infected, though their friend, with the same recent partner, could!?

Whether I am having an outbreak or not, with my condition, I should never kiss anybody on their lips or their privates -- or even their nipples or anywhere else? -- without warning them? Let them decide if
they wish to reconsider?

I have never sought out a prescription for it, just always bought the $21+ petite tube of Abreve, or a $5.99 slightly larger tube of the Walgreen's version yesterday.

Do cold sores generally bleed at times? Not always? It seems to me that blood can at times be present over the years but I don't usually check in the mirror.

It's just not something most people discuss or ask a random hookup about, correct? But everybody is and must be honest about it? Can one sue a partner for not disclosing this lifelong, no cure ailment?

Is it really true that almost half of Americans have/have had a cold sore -- or at least carry the virus? Even if a virgin, if a relative gives you a quick Christmas kiss greeting at the front door, you may get infected? It's so transmittable, it seems, but does not imply promiscuity?

Sorry for the questions and confusion, but it's not something most of us discuss freely with family, friends or, unfortunately, hookups?

Old 12-27-2017, 03:56 AM

314 posts, read 439,918 times
I get a cold sore about once a year thanks to my grandma kissing me when I was little.....long story.

Anyhow, I was with my ex for 18 years and whenever I felt a cold sore tingle, I stopped all physical contact with my ex until I was healed and she never contracted the virus in the 18 years we were together.

Also, I would like to say to you as a fellow sufferer of this virus, about two years ago I read an article and whenever I feel a cold sore coming I immediately get ice on it and keep it on it until it is numb and then I keep ice on it throughout the day. and in most cases it never flared up into a blister.

Good luck!!

Old 12-27-2017, 07:15 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,350,394 times
I'll get a cold sore once or twice a year during stressful times. I can usually count on one near Christmas as I'm eating more foods that tend to bring one on, am usually stressed and the air is pretty dry.

Abreva doesn't work for me. If I catch it right away, I use zinc oxide (sunscreen), take a bunch of l-lysine, and ice it. It usually will clear up pretty quickly provided I get treat it immediately. I will also dab it with milk to help dry it quickly. I used to have a prescription for a anti-viral lip ointment. It's become way too pricey (over $150 for a small Abreva like tube).

My husband has never had a cold sore. I made a point when my kids were little to not kiss them when I had one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships