Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 12:57 AM

9,912 posts, read 13,901,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
I wouldn't. I'd take a day trip to [insert location here] for me, i.e. to explore in order to expand my horizon, see new things, take in the environment, etc. If I found someone who interested me I'd talk to her. But I would not make 'practice flirting' my sole purpose of the trip. Be your own man first.
I'm with you on this!

Practice your interaction skills by all means (with both men & women) but I wouldn't make it the sole purpose of the trip. Focus on it too much and you're bound to come off uncomfortable and unauthentic. I can't see that getting you too far.

Does it have to be New York btw? I mean isn't there a town a few towns over that has some kind of attraction, a museum, fun park **insert whatever interests you here** where you can go and have a day to yourself, learn something new, practice your interaction skills with a wide variety of people, improve your confidence and maybe not freak people out? I mean New Yorks seems a little unrealistic as a first time practice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2009, 04:43 AM

2,115 posts, read 5,029,958 times
Wow, so apparently half of the guys on this forum are completely incompetent when it comes to the realm of holding a simple conversation with a decent looking girl.

I personally think that's a bit exaggerated. Go to NYC to soak in the city, hit up some museums, go to restaurants or Broadway, SOMETHING besides just simply wanting to practice hitting on girls.

Old 11-10-2009, 05:39 AM

10,363 posts, read 20,797,076 times
I think it sounds like a great idea too, but then I'm a traveler by nature, and who cares what the excuse for the trip is. Just go, have fun, take in several types of places, and flirt with lots of girls, whether they're attractive or not--just for the sheer joy of it. And then come back here and let us know how it went.

Old 11-10-2009, 05:49 AM

7,796 posts, read 16,399,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
I wouldn't. I'd take a day trip to [insert location here] for me, i.e. to explore in order to expand my horizon, see new things, take in the environment, etc. If I found someone who interested me I'd talk to her. But I would not make 'practice flirting' my sole purpose of the trip. Be your own man first.
What he said!

Old 11-10-2009, 06:54 AM

1,300 posts, read 2,572,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mango tango View Post
Wow, so apparently half of the guys on this forum are completely incompetent when it comes to the realm of holding a simple conversation with a decent looking girl.

I personally think that's a bit exaggerated. Go to NYC to soak in the city, hit up some museums, go to restaurants or Broadway, SOMETHING besides just simply wanting to practice hitting on girls.

Oh! Once again you hit the nail on that one. 2 REPS!!!

Old 11-10-2009, 07:28 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,730,722 times
I have "practiced flirting" before. I'm not too terribly embarassed to admit it, it is a skill, and I am very inconsistent with it - with some people I just drop the ball completely. I don't think there's anything wrong with hanging out in a bar, or something, just to talk to people.

I would not take a 2-hour trip for the purpose of hitting on women, though. It sounds like the real problem is that you are too afraid of failure with the 'handful of women' that are in your town.

Old 11-10-2009, 07:44 AM

29,745 posts, read 34,383,370 times
Do you have a job? If not, it might be worth it to get a part-time gig at a coffee shop or store or something that would force you to talk to people (not just hot chicks) for a few hours.

Old 11-12-2009, 10:22 PM

146 posts, read 462,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshadow View Post
I'm with you on this!

Practice your interaction skills by all means (with both men & women) but I wouldn't make it the sole purpose of the trip. Focus on it too much and you're bound to come off uncomfortable and unauthentic. I can't see that getting you too far.

Does it have to be New York btw? I mean isn't there a town a few towns over that has some kind of attraction, a museum, fun park **insert whatever interests you here** where you can go and have a day to yourself, learn something new, practice your interaction skills with a wide variety of people, improve your confidence and maybe not freak people out? I mean New Yorks seems a little unrealistic as a first time practice.
I don't think you understand what rural New York state is like. It's pretty desolate out here. I recognize people by their face and I don't know anything else beyond that. How can I possibly practice meeting girls around here without blowing my chances and being labeled as "that guy" with the few around here?

Old 11-12-2009, 10:27 PM

2,035 posts, read 5,035,606 times
Agree with Moonie..go to expand your horizons, and if you meet someone, things will happen...Have no expectations other than just enjoying what you are experiencing..and you won't need to practice anything..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships