Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2009, 12:03 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,635,440 times

Advertisements

Because there is a tremendous amount of money to be made in keeping women critical of their bodies and appearance in general.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2009, 12:09 AM

4,837 posts, read 8,861,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by solytaire View Post
One of the ways that I arrived at this conclusion is that, previously, I would hear women complain and whine about their bodies, and how they were trying to lose weight or whatever. And then when I would watch men make advances or pay compliments to them. They either rejected those advances for the most superficial reasons, felt harassed and didnt want to be bothered, or retorted with no gratitude. So I started to figure out that, if those same women were genuinely conflicted with such a poor self image of themselves their own, they wouldnt have the confidence to so boldly berate others. Im not even really just speaking about my own personal experiences. Because more frequently, I have observed this from afar.
Well stated.

If someone has something to sell and its not the product that will get the top dollar, it stands to reason that they will not be completely enamored with it. Of course settling for "payment" that is less than "top dollar" is just too terrible to contemplate. Time to lash out.

Old 11-16-2009, 12:31 AM

4,751 posts, read 5,446,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Because there is a tremendous amount of money to be made in keeping women critical of their bodies and appearance in general.

There it is, right there. Don't like your hair, skin, nails, etc? Buy something to change your appearance. Don't like your body? Buy this new, fake diet pill/weightloss plan. Big date, class reunion, wedding to attend? Go buy more new stuff....it goes on and on and we are bombarded with it every day.

Men, just for a moment, watch your favorite movie or tv show (commercials included) and count how many *average* women you see. You won't see many.

Old 11-16-2009, 02:18 AM

15,639 posts, read 41,063,131 times
I haven't read all the posts, so I may be the "lone ranger" here, but I am completely happy with my body. I honestly believe that all the hard work I put into maintaining it has paid off. I have no complaints. Yeah, I know, some of you are going to think I'm conceited. Oh well.

Old 11-16-2009, 03:30 AM

9,230 posts, read 16,558,694 times
We are our worst critics. Some women have low self-esteem and some women simply let themselves go. They can still be sexy even if they don't have the ideal body, it is truly all in the confidence.

I do believe that it does matter what our men (not all men) think of us. If I were 50 lbs. overweight and my guy still wanted me all the time, I'd feel sexy though I'd still lose the weight for my own reasons.

Old 11-16-2009, 04:11 AM

4,379 posts, read 5,389,137 times
this is not to be controversial, but why not ignore what the media say?

If women in general chose not to buy Vogue or Cosmopolitan, would they continue to produce it? In life you should always take responsibility for your actions.

Old 11-16-2009, 04:36 AM

10,398 posts, read 572,679 times
Because we are constantly bombarded with size 6 models who have pert perfect breasts, legs, airbrushed flawless complexions, flat abs, bubble butts, long luxurious hair and the best clothes! How can we compete with this vision of The Perfect 10 when we are just trying to make it through to the next day... working full time, raising our children and having such busy lives. It's not real life but we still measure ourselves against this perfect model woman. It's in our magazines, on Billboards & TV. It's starting to change but not enough to make an impact. Lets hope our Daughters don't have to endure this. We have to help change this perception.

Old 11-16-2009, 05:58 AM

4,379 posts, read 5,389,137 times
then don't buy the magazines, or listen to what the media outlets say.

the way i see it is thus - either the media inculcate these ideas into women (which women can still dismiss, if they choose), or the media produce this stuff because they know people are willing and able to buy it.

Old 11-16-2009, 06:26 AM

7,796 posts, read 16,410,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladeebug59 View Post
Because we are constantly bombarded with size 6 models who have pert perfect breasts, legs, airbrushed flawless complexions, flat abs, bubble butts, long luxurious hair and the best clothes! How can we compete with this vision of The Perfect 10 when we are just trying to make it through to the next day... working full time, raising our children and having such busy lives. It's not real life but we still measure ourselves against this perfect model woman. It's in our magazines, on Billboards & TV. It's starting to change but not enough to make an impact. Lets hope our Daughters don't have to endure this. We have to help change this perception.
It always amazes me when Perfect 10s are critiqued and ripped apart! (by both men & women) I see that a lot on messageboards and I always want to ask the posters "WTF do you look like?!" LOL

I pray my daughter doesn't feel the pressure that I feel. In fact, I was considering a tummy tuck & breast lift/reduction, but then I kept asking myself, "what kind of message am I sending my daughter?!"

And think about the sheer number of women with breast implants! It's gotten to the point where natural breasts don't look like the norm.

Old 11-16-2009, 07:06 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,747,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
I haven't read all the posts, so I may be the "lone ranger" here, but I am completely happy with my body. I honestly believe that all the hard work I put into maintaining it has paid off. I have no complaints. Yeah, I know, some of you are going to think I'm conceited. Oh well.
Actually we all know why you are proud of your body
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships