Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2009, 01:24 PM

888 posts, read 886,775 times

Advertisements

Ok, I know a lot of women, they are not super models, but they're very attractive and sexy. They have nice bodies (in my opinion).

But they hate their bodies...
What's up with that?
The more I know women, the more I think that the majority of women hate their bodies.

Everything...
facial features
breasts
tummy
thigh/legs
the garden (so many women find it ugly... that's totally stupid, especially when so many guys just think it's fantastic)

what is it?
and when will women become more intelligent about analyzing their body?
or we, as men, will have to suffer, because the woman is immature in her appreciation of her feminin phsyical features, we have to put up with her insecurity, her low self-esteem...

what's the deal?

my girlfriend has an awesome body, she looks great in a bikini and jean shorts, her breasts are awesome, the garden is beautiful, and yet all she can do is COMPLAIN!

tummy too fat, thighs too fat, knees look strange, arms are flabby, breasts average, etc...

she works out almost everyday! the woman has a body to die for...

the whole thing is totally ridiculous.
women need to get it together in their brains...
they can be really messed up
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2009, 03:17 PM

2,035 posts, read 5,036,028 times
You know, ive also wondered the same thing.. i wonder if part of it is reaction to the media..or if it stems from something on a personal level..And im sure there are those women who are super OCD..as im sure there are guys when it comes to their Physical apperance..look at some of these people we have all seen on talk shows or the news who have had a zillion plastic surgeries..and 8 times out of 10, the surgery does not wave the magic wand results that was hoped for..Michael Jackson being a stand out example of this..

Old 11-15-2009, 03:24 PM

6,749 posts, read 22,082,223 times
Because women in general will never ever look like those models they see in magazines because those models don't even look like that...it's amazing what a computer can do. Women in general think that is the ideal.. and will never measure up. Change that and you'll change women's point of views.

Old 11-15-2009, 03:30 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyDaysCopenhagenSkoal View Post
Ok, I know a lot of women, they are not super models, but they're very attractive and sexy. They have nice bodies (in my opinion).

But they hate their bodies...
What's up with that?
The more I know women, the more I think that the majority of women hate their bodies.

Everything...
facial features
breasts
tummy
thigh/legs
the garden (so many women find it ugly... that's totally stupid, especially when so many guys just think it's fantastic)

what is it?
and when will women become more intelligent about analyzing their body?
or we, as men, will have to suffer, because the woman is immature in her appreciation of her feminin phsyical features, we have to put up with her insecurity, her low self-esteem...

what's the deal?

my girlfriend has an awesome body, she looks great in a bikini and jean shorts, her breasts are awesome, the garden is beautiful, and yet all she can do is COMPLAIN!

tummy too fat, thighs too fat, knees look strange, arms are flabby, breasts average, etc...

she works out almost everyday! the woman has a body to die for...

the whole thing is totally ridiculous.
women need to get it together in their brains...
they can be really messed up

Sadly, as long as magazines like Playboy and Penthouse remain big sellers some women will ALWAYS feel inadequate.

Don't get me wrong, women need to take responsibility for their own self-esteem, but men in their lives could help by not reinforcing the idea that Playboy bunnies are the ideal

Old 11-15-2009, 03:54 PM

6,034 posts, read 10,683,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
Because women in general will never ever look like those models they see in magazines because those models don't even look like that...it's amazing what a computer can do. Women in general think that is the ideal.. and will never measure up. Change that and you'll change women's point of views.
No you won't. Anyone with even moderate intelligence knows that what we see in the media is not what your average woman looks like, and we can never expect to look like that. Changing what the media shows will not change any woman's mind who is unhappy with her body -- they will still be insecure and unhappy -- even though most of them will never do anything about it.

Personally, there are things I don't think are fantastic about myself, but it's only in a passing "oh well" kind of matter. Overall, I feel great about myself, and even if I had the money to make physical changes through plastic surgery, I wouldn't bother because it just doesn't concern me enough. What I've got works great for me, and I know how to make it work for my man too.

Old 11-15-2009, 04:07 PM

3,424 posts, read 5,975,456 times
IDK...But I, and the majority of my friends, have concluded that most of the women who exhibit this type of behavior, are mainly fishing for compliments. We could be wrong. However I kind of quit listening to those old lines about how displeased women were with their bodies. I admit, that, I at one time, I could be pretty easily manipulated by pretty women, and I still struggle with it from time to time. When I was younger I would casually send women compliments and one time, among others, got told that I was shrek, in return...(literally) lol

So while I always appreciated the beauty of different women, at the same time, Im not crazy, and they arent either. Most women who are even marginally attractive know that they are sexy, and will work your conscious, seeking round the clock ego boosts. I have found, in my experience, that the vast majority of those complaints about themselves are artificial. The grown women that I know, already know and can see by the reactions they get from men, that most men dont give a flyin furball about the little petty things they supposedly beat themselves up over.

They are well aware that men arent just hitting on them everyday because they want to play a good game of Uno. And they are aware that their looks and bodies actually attract quite a few people.

One of the ways that I arrived at this conclusion is that, previously, I would hear women complain and whine about their bodies, and how they were trying to lose weight or whatever. And then when I would watch men make advances or pay compliments to them. They either rejected those advances for the most superficial reasons, felt harassed and didnt want to be bothered, or retorted with no gratitude. So I started to figure out that, if those same women were genuinely conflicted with such a poor self image of themselves their own, they wouldnt have the confidence to so boldly berate others. Im not even really just speaking about my own personal experiences. Because more frequently, I have observed this from afar..

But I do get tired of women whining about the media pressure and the pressure they feel to be thin...especially when they have entire clubs and websites dedicated to men's infatuation with voluptuous and full figured women. Now if they dont want these men, thats fine, and thats one thing. But they cant blame the media and everyone else for that. So yeah, no one can tell me that by now, women dont know that men like women in virtually all shapes and sizes.

Old 11-15-2009, 04:25 PM

1,549 posts, read 2,583,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by solytaire View Post
IDK...But I, and the majority of my friends, have concluded that most of the women who exhibit this type of behavior, are mainly fishing for compliments. We could be wrong. However I kind of quit listening to those old lines about how displeased women were with their bodies. I admit, that, I at one time, I could be pretty easily manipulated by pretty women, and I still struggle with it from time to time. When I was younger I would casually send women compliments and one time, among others, got told that I was shrek, in return...(literally) lol

So while I always appreciated the beauty of different women, at the same time, Im not crazy, and they arent either. Most women who are even marginally attractive know that they are sexy, and will work your conscious, seeking round the clock ego boosts. I have found, in my experience, that the vast majority of those complaints about themselves are artificial. The grown women that I know, already know and can see by the reactions they get from men, that most men dont give a flyin furball about the little petty things they supposedly beat themselves up over.

They are well aware that men arent just hitting on them everyday because they want to play a good game of Uno. And they are aware that their looks and bodies actually attract quite a few people.

One of the ways that I arrived at this conclusion is that, previously, I would hear women complain and whine about their bodies, and how they were trying to lose weight or whatever. And then when I would watch men make advances or pay compliments to them. They either rejected those advances for the most superficial reasons, felt harassed and didnt want to be bothered, or retorted with no gratitude. So I started to figure out that, if those same women were genuinely conflicted with such a poor self image of themselves their own, they wouldnt have the confidence to so boldly berate others. Im not even really just speaking about my own personal experiences. Because more frequently, I have observed this from afar..

But I do get tired of women whining about the media pressure and the pressure they feel to be thin...especially when they have entire clubs and websites dedicated to men's infatuation with voluptuous and full figured women. Now if they dont want these men, thats fine, and thats one thing. But they cant blame the media and everyone else for that. So yeah, no one can tell me that by now, women dont know that men like women in virtually all shapes and sizes.
I will put myself out there and say I genuinely have issues with disliking my body and it's not because I am fishing for compliments. I do compare myself to women on tv, in the media, etc. and I know that I will never measure up, but I also compare myself to women on the street as well. I think its a self-esteem issue that is brought on by the media, but made worse by my own feelings of inadequacy. I DO think men judge women harshly and I often feel I don't measure up. My point in all this is to not assume that these women are manipulating you for compliments. I think women have a ton of pressure on them and I think that the media and many (not all) men make this harder. Women make it harder too. Women are hard on women. It's not easy being a woman in this society. I'm sure I'll get flamed and picked apart for this but it is a stuggle of mine and many women I know.

Old 11-15-2009, 04:36 PM

1,417 posts, read 2,180,909 times
To the OP:
I love it when a man wants to make his partner feel valued.
You can see how women have gotten the mixed up body images we have.
Just start with all the threads on CD posted by men stating their "ideal woman's build", and how they "don't like women with small/big/flabby whatever".
Add to that- most men's FIRST and MOST IMPORTANT criteria when dating is a woman's looks.
You find your girlfriend amazing, but chances are - no matter how good looking she is- she has felt inadequate in the past.
When so much importance is put on looks, it's hard not to tie your self-worth to that.
If you want your girlfriend to feel confident- treasure her mind and her sense of humor and the other ways she pleases you besides the physical.
If she knows you think the REST of her is amazing- she won't be so paranoid about her looks.

Old 11-15-2009, 04:36 PM

3,424 posts, read 5,975,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsRiss7383 View Post
I will put myself out there and say I genuinely have issues with disliking my body and it's not because I am fishing for compliments. I do compare myself to women on tv, in the media, etc. and I know that I will never measure up, but I also compare myself to women on the street as well. I think its a self-esteem issue that is brought on by the media, but made worse by my own feelings of inadequacy. I DO think men judge women harshly and I often feel I don't measure up. My point in all this is to not assume that these women are manipulating you for compliments. I think women have a ton of pressure on them and I think that the media and many (not all) men make this harder. Women make it harder too. Women are hard on women. It's not easy being a woman in this society. I'm sure I'll get flamed and picked apart for this but it is a stuggle of mine and many women I know.

Thanks for your well put together response to my thoughts...but I think this is really the source of the problem. It is common knowledge that women dress to please themselves, and shop to compete with and spite other women...Men pretty much, for the most part, are going to like whatever women wear unless she makes a conscientious effort to dress like a lumberjack...and even then, she may still get some advances. If the woman is full figured, and can dressed well, and feminine, then there are more than enough men who are attracted to that, and even prefer it.

But the biggest problem, as I see it, is definitely the pressure women put on themselves out of sheer spite and competitiveness WITH ONE ANOTHER...not for any man's attention. Which seems both sad and silly, if they are trying to make life easier for themselves. So that I may better understand your position, in what ways are men harsh on women?

Old 11-15-2009, 04:38 PM

2,035 posts, read 5,036,028 times
while i agree with 98% of these opinions, no one on earth won't convince me that it doesn't work both ways..Maybe not as far as sans woman's man needing to look like Brad Pitt or that young dude from desperate house wives but the whole list of needs to have lots of money, toys, a perfect job, come from a perfect background, etc.. It isn't always a mans fault when a woman doesn't like what god gave her..she has to take responsibility for her lack of self esteem..not find the nearest scape goat.. No, the media and mags. don't help with this (both ways) but aren't we intelligent enough as humans to understand what make sense and what makes sense to someone else..or does not at all??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships