Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 04:29 AM

3,993 posts, read 8,927,861 times

Advertisements

yeah, despite us not seeing each other so often, we get on well, more on a friendship level.

it was a boy and a girl she lied about, it's been 6 or 7 years, so i've pretty much come to terms with it now.

sometimes i still miss them a little, but i'm satisfied i made the right choice.

nice kids, shame about the mother !!

#
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
Yea, that's how it goes during the teen years. Things will probably change as he gets older, tho. It's too bad about your daughter or ex-daughter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2009, 06:15 AM

37,619 posts, read 46,006,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobman View Post
i can relate to the story.

my ex wife had 2 kids by someone else, while pretending they were mine.
the first one, i suspected, but the second, i was pretty sure.

however, there's a little bit of you which wants to believe they are.

i was good to them, even stopping work to look after them. after we split, i continued access visits, taking them out at the weekends.

then, 2 years later, she found out i had a new girlfriend, and it all started to go horribly wrong. despite the fact she was remarried herself, she couldn't accept that i'd moved on.
to cut a long story short, i got a text message one day which said "they aren't yours, you'll never see them again".

they were 5, and 6 at the time, and, despite pretty much knowing they weren't mine, i grew to love them like they were.

i continued to see my son, who WAS actually mine, but after some time, she'd split up with her new guy, and must have been wanting a cheap babysitter, because she suddenly decided that "i'd always treated them well, and they missed their daddy". she wanted me to start visitations again !!

to date, probably one of the hardest decisions i've made, to say no.
i wanted to see them, but knew she was such a cow, they could be taken away again at any time.
Were you their legal father? I'm not talking biological here...did they know you, as their father?

Old 12-03-2009, 06:25 AM

i am named on their birth certificates as father, and i raised them as mine, they did call me "dad".
once i found out, there would have been legal avenues i could've taken to still see them, but they're pretty much unenforceable without jailing the mother, and i was advised that not many judges would even consider that.

plus, i'd then have found myself paying maintenance towards someoe else's kids, while she probably claimed from their biological father.
also, after i knew for definite, i could never have treated them the same. it was hard enough when i only suspected

it was hard, but i learned a big lesson !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Were you their legal father? I'm not talking biological here...did they know you, as their father?

Old 12-03-2009, 06:35 AM

Quote:
i am named on their birth certificates as father, and i raised them as mine, they did call me "dad".
once i found out, there would have been legal avenues i could've taken to still see them, but they're pretty much unenforceable without jailing the mother, and i was advised that not many judges would even consider that.

plus, i'd then have found myself paying maintenance towards someoe else's kids, while she probably claimed from their biological father.
also, after i knew for definite, i could never have treated them the same. it was hard enough when i only suspected

it was hard, but i learned a big lesson !!!
I guess I don't get that. If they knew you as their father, and you loved them, then why not get parental rights? You make it sound as if it really IS about the money. It might be for her, but is that a reason to make it so, for you? Or for the kids? They are the ones that lost here. Big time.

Sorry - I'm not judging here...I just couldn't let go of a child in that situation. Everyone is different.

Old 12-03-2009, 06:54 AM

i understand what you mean.

if i'm being entirely honest, the money was a consideration, when i left, i had pretty much the clothes i stood up in, and not much else.
i had one chair i got from my parents, and a tv. no curtains, or carpets, nothing.
by the time she dropped the bombshell, i was rebuilding things, but was still struggling financially.
i wasn't in a well paying job, and couldn't really have afforded to pay a quarter of my income to support someone else's kids.
it's sometimes hard enough making ends meet paying support for my boy.

but the main factor was their mother. she had already proved how horrible she was, i didn't realise it until later, but it was actually what would be classed as an abusive relationship. she was a bit of a sociopath.

she'd already shown how she was willing to use them as pawns.
she would've kept doing that when it suited her, it wouldn't have been fair on me, or them to put everyone through that.
else everytime we got close, she'd take them away.
that also affected my parents too. they loved the kids as much as anybody.

a clean break was probably the fairest all round. they were still young enough that they could hopefully forget about me and move on.

they already called her new man "daddy".

believe me, it wasn't easy to let go, but after 5 years of pretty much knowing they weren't mine, there was also a sense of relief it was finally over.

Quote:
I guess I don't get that. If they knew you as their father, and you loved them, then why not get parental rights? You make it sound as if it really IS about the money. It might be for her, but is that a reason to make it so, for you? Or for the kids? They are the ones that lost here. Big time.

Sorry - I'm not judging here...I just couldn't let go of a child in that situation. Everyone is different.

Old 12-03-2009, 07:00 AM

Quote:
i understand what you mean.

if i'm being entirely honest, the money was a consideration, when i left, i had pretty much the clothes i stood up in, and not much else.
i had one chair i got from my parents, and a tv. no curtains, or carpets, nothing.
by the time she dropped the bombshell, i was rebuilding things, but was still struggling financially.
i wasn't in a well paying job, and couldn't really have afforded to pay a quarter of my income to support someone else's kids.
it's sometimes hard enough making ends meet paying support for my boy.

but the main factor was their mother. she had already proved how horrible she was, i didn't realise it until later, but it was actually what would be classed as an abusive relationship. she was a bit of a sociopath.

she'd already shown how she was willing to use them as pawns.
she would've kept doing that when it suited her, it wouldn't have been fair on me, or them to put everyone through that.
else everytime we got close, she'd take them away.
that also affected my parents too. they loved the kids as much as anybody.

a clean break was probably the fairest all round. they were still young enough that they could hopefully forget about me and move on.

they already called her new man "daddy".

believe me, it wasn't easy to let go, but after 5 years of pretty much knowing they weren't mine, there was also a sense of relief it was finally over.
I'm sorry - that sounds like a terrible situation all around. I agree it is a difficult thing to have ties to such a person, for a lifetime. I'm glad you are content with things now though. Regrets suck.

Old 12-03-2009, 07:06 AM

thanks, i am happy i made the right choice.

although i don't ask, my son still talks about them, it seems they've grown into relatively normal kids, despite what they've been through.

probably their happiness was the most important consideration.
adults can heal much better than children, they could've wound up damaged forever !

as it is, their mother isn't exactly the best role model, if any of them take after her, god help them !!

Quote:
I'm sorry - that sounds like a terrible situation all around. I agree it is a difficult thing to have ties to such a person, for a lifetime. I'm glad you are content with things now though. Regrets suck.

Old 12-03-2009, 07:07 AM

3,065 posts, read 8,900,057 times
My wife already had our daughter when I met her. My biggest fear, and one thing I've always wondered, if something was to happen to my wife, would I be able to retain custody of her? I can't adopt her b/c the biological father won't reliquish his parental rights. Even though he doesn't pay child support and has never seen her.

Old 12-03-2009, 08:30 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,706,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macjr82 View Post
My wife already had our daughter when I met her. My biggest fear, and one thing I've always wondered, if something was to happen to my wife, would I be able to retain custody of her? I can't adopt her b/c the biological father won't reliquish his parental rights. Even though he doesn't pay child support and has never seen her.
I would look into that if I were you. That's a valid concern. And what if something happened to the both of you? You'd want your daughter raised by your families, not some stranger she has never met.

My sister-in-law had to go through a lengthy process to get her ex-husband's parental rights revoked (or whatever the proper terminology is), so that he would not have any claim on their son. He never paid child support or had any interest in his son, other than to threaten to take him away from her. I think your wife could do the same with your daughter, and then you could adopt her.

Old 12-03-2009, 12:13 PM

1,342 posts, read 2,162,506 times
Quote:
i still see my son, but not so often.

every time it suited her, she would stop me seeing him, often for a year or two at a time.

children were nothing more than a tool she could use to hurt me when she felt like it.

he's 17 now, and i see him as much as i can, but the relationship might be irreparably damaged.
all the times i wasn't seeing him, i was trying to arrange stuff to take him out, but she was apparently telling him i hadn't been bothering to get in touch at all.

now he's getting older, he understands more, because i can explain stuff, and he can understand it on an adult level, but at 17, he's got more important things to worry about than seeing his old dad !!
it's cool tho, when i was 17, the last thing i wanted to do was hang with my parents !!
Google Parental Alienation Syndrome. She's liable to spend some time in jail if the state has enacted the laws against it yet and you are also likely in for some money if you were to sue her for what she did to you with the boy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships