Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you cheat on a cheater?
Yes, it'll give them a taste of their own medicine 6 25.00%
No I won't 15 62.50%
Maybe, depends who is my SO and if it's worth the effort 3 12.50%
I don't know... 0 0%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2009, 10:34 AM

12,573 posts, read 15,565,273 times

Advertisements

If I cheated, then my SO cheated back, and then left, I would have to laugh. Totally juvenille.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2009, 10:34 AM

9,230 posts, read 16,548,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
First of all it's only cheating if it's adultery which is when a vow has been made and broken. You can't break a vow you never made. I think it's silly to include dating relationships in with cheating. If a guy has two dates with a girl and decides to go out with someone else that's not cheating no matter how much the first girl wants to believe it.

Often people believe someone who has never made any committment at all, never has proposed, even discussed marriage is "theirs" and that isn't the case. BF-GF relationships break up all the time. To call that cheating is silly. To even think it's some kind revenge to find someone else, because a bf or gf or previous date decided to have a date with someone else is juvenile.
If two people agree to be together exclusively and one breaks that commitment, it is cheating. We're not talking about crazy people who think they're in a relationship when they're not.

Old 11-22-2009, 10:38 AM

1,571 posts, read 2,813,862 times
To me cheating is when someone (either married or in a committed relationship) leads the other person to believe they're the only one they're with while doing any outside type of hidden pleasure with someone else.

That sort of reasoning as malamute suggested would make me think if the guy really cares about me in the first place and if he's cheating which would be a deal-breaker as well.

Old 11-22-2009, 11:19 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
If two people agree to be together exclusively and one breaks that commitment, it is cheating. We're not talking about crazy people who think they're in a relationship when they're not.
I suppose - if the two actually came out and swore fidelity forever with each other it could also be cheating even if there was no marriage or formal commitment.

I think more often one assumes the other has secretly and non verbally vowed some kind of commitment when the other never did. Even people shacking up tend to do this, there was no committment ever made, but one believes in his or her heart there is one, the other sees it as a temporary fling all along until someone better comes along.

Or some people think that the agreement to have sex without a formal commitment like marriage means the other feels the same way. I know in this age of STD's like HIV, monogamy is the better way to go but too often it's assumed but not actually discussed.

I've known plenty of couples where one thinks living together means permanent commitment while the other believes the exact opposite, that living together means just that, marriage is a long ways off.

Old 11-22-2009, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I've known plenty of couples where one thinks living together means permanent commitment while the other believes the exact opposite, that living together means just that, marriage is a long ways off.
It's the lying and deceiving which is not fair for the other person.

I wouldn't mind an open relationship but what is disgusting is when one person knows fully well that going outside the relationship whether married or in a committed one will hurt the other person (the other person having no prior knowledge to it) and yet still does it. That's what bothers the most, the secrets, the lies, the surprise when we didn't expected it...

Old 11-22-2009, 11:48 AM

8,064 posts, read 18,011,851 times
If you're going to leave him anyway, what's the point? You'd still see "the look on his face" when you told him you were leaving and moving on to greener pastures.

Old 11-22-2009, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
If you're going to leave him anyway, what's the point? You'd still see "the look on his face" when you told him you were leaving and moving on to greener pastures.
I don't know. I guess it's a way to make fun of someone that careless about you. In a way you're teaching them on how to treat someone the way they would like to be treated...

Old 11-22-2009, 01:55 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,676,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunflower_lol View Post
To me cheating is when someone (either married or in a committed relationship) leads the other person to believe they're the only one they're with while doing any outside type of hidden pleasure with someone else.

That sort of reasoning as malamute suggested would make me think if the guy really cares about me in the first place and if he's cheating which would be a deal-breaker as well.
No. Unless you are married, there is no "leading" a person to believe it is a monogamous relationship. Either a person expressly says they are committed to you, or they aren't. When you get into a "you led me to believe _____ " you are only looking at things through your own eyes, and aren't considering the way the other person views things. Either you explicitly say you are committed, or you aren't. This is not a mind-reading subject. I think a lot of people, probably mostly women, make this mistake.

Old 11-22-2009, 02:22 PM

4,941 posts, read 8,327,271 times
Quote:
Seriously how many would consider this before leaving him/her for good. Me and b/f had a talk about this. Obviously I would leave him but he also knows I would cheat back on him before breaking up.
So let's say the BS wants to work out the relationship/marriage, why not give them a taste of their own medicine first. That should work so then it would be even.
I would do that. Cheat on me, I'll cheat back at you as well. Then off course leave him but not after giving him that bitter taste. That's the only sole reason I would thus consider cheating..
This is what my b/f did to an ex and she still was all shock but he was like ''Well never do to others what you wouldn't like them doing to you''.
If he cheated on me then he obviously didn't care about me or my feelings so why would he care if I cheated or not? If he is anticipating your forgiveness and getting back together, doing this could be dangerous so why risk it. You have made the decision to move on, why stoop to his level...just to prove what point?? I don't play games.

Old 11-22-2009, 02:46 PM

52,272 posts, read 52,700,922 times
Quote:
Seriously how many would consider this before leaving him/her for good. Me and b/f had a talk about this. Obviously I would leave him but he also knows I would cheat back on him before breaking up.
So let's say the BS wants to work out the relationship/marriage, why not give them a taste of their own medicine first. That should work so then it would be even.
I would do that. Cheat on me, I'll cheat back at you as well. Then off course leave him but not after giving him that bitter taste. That's the only sole reason I would thus consider cheating..
This is what my b/f did to an ex and she still was all shock but he was like ''Well never do to others what you wouldn't like them doing to you''.
Kind of verging on getting a little childish here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships