Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 08:44 PM

4,098 posts, read 7,112,240 times

Advertisements

I went through almost this exact same thing in 1979, the exception was my wife was having an affair with 4 other men and I didn't know it. When someone files for divorce and you don't want a divorce there is not one darn thing you can do about it, except put a smile on your face and continue to live life. And that is not easy to do. I think a divorce is worse than a death, with a death you know the person is gone and never coming back. During a divorce you always hope you can say something that will change their mind and cause them to come back. But, after the hurt she has caused you, and after you have seen her true cold, calculating side, would you really want her back. You will find friends and family won't take her place, no matter what. Time heals all wounds, and that is the only thing that will make you feel better, it took me two years to figure out that my ex wife did me a huge favor. It is not easy, but don't give up. Throw yourself at your job and excel in what you do for a living. One day you will look back on these days and be proud of yourself for holding your head high and doing your very best in spite of your hurt. Don't be afraid to get back on here in the future. and don't be afraid to direct mail some of the people on here that may have helped you the most, and ask questions. I would discount the advice of those who blame you for this breakup ( post #4), it can't be all your fault, but I suspect some of it is, and that is all in the past now. Good luck...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2012, 09:07 PM

379 posts, read 513,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloominscranton View Post
I was very happy to read your update! Good luck and God Bless on your future!
Thank you, and thank you for your blessing!

Old 01-26-2012, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImCurlybelle View Post
So sad, my heart goes out to you ...

I don't believe people can turn their feelings off and on like a water faucet, I believe somewhere along the journey things start to change, people start growing a part, and distance starts coming in-between 2 ... we don't always want to see, or hear it- but the writing is often on the wall It takes going through the hurt, pain, anger, before you finally say, "How did I miss that" ...

On another note, not sure where you live, but here in the North East, people are so into their career, and money ... Ugh ! Such a rat race, and so cut throat.
I'm in the same state as you, and I couldn't agree more. That's part of the reason I'm seeking to relocate. I can't afford this state, and my personality doesn't really jive with the overall rat race mentality.

My ex-wife worked 70+ hours a week. She spent far more time with the co-worker she cheated on me with than with me. No doubt that contributed to the way things went. So many couples I know here put their career first, and the acquisition of money before all else, and I know so many broken couples due to the mentality. And its true that I didn't see it- she always acted very innocent, religious, and conservative. I simply never, ever expected it, nor did anyone else close to her.

Old 01-26-2012, 09:22 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,433,178 times
I don't know where it's not a 'rat race.' It's a rat race everywhere.

Old 01-26-2012, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I don't know where it's not a 'rat race.' It's a rat race everywhere.
Yeah, but there's a palpable difference between the NYC metropolitan area and places like, say, Vermont.

Old 01-27-2012, 08:34 PM

1,602 posts, read 4,163,194 times
I don't know, I hear it's a better quality of life in the South - the Carolinas, Florida, West Virginia ... Anywhere far from the NYC area- I've had my fill and I'm ready to bolt !

Old 01-27-2012, 08:42 PM

527 posts, read 1,233,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Union Federal View Post
Yeah, but there's a palpable difference between the NYC metropolitan area and places like, say, Vermont.
I know right? Those crazy Subaru driving woodsmen!

Old 01-27-2012, 09:19 PM

1,180 posts, read 2,925,616 times
wow thanks for the update-I remember reading this a while ago and feeling bad for you. I wonder how many people leave their spouses for someone else but that person doesn't leave theirs- she got a taste of her own medicine- but WAY more humiliating-I'm glad you didn't have kids- now you'll never have to look at her again- good luck to you.

Old 01-27-2012, 10:30 PM

8,827 posts, read 7,334,551 times
to the OP, you sound like you are getting things sorted out and sound so much better than in your original post and that's a good thing! life is unfair, that's for sure but it does have its good times...

Old 02-03-2012, 06:39 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,740,842 times
I'd say, work on yourself. It's over. Set goals. Get out. Get away from the loneliness. Act like the person you want to be. Eventually, you'll find out why this happened, but first, dig out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships