Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Filthy rich and famous or a comfortable living?
Im female Filthy rich and famous 4 8.33%
Im female a comfortable living 25 52.08%
I'm male Filthy rich and famous 4 8.33%
I'm male a comfortable living 15 31.25%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 02:40 PM

138 posts, read 285,837 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgfurman View Post
Give me a Toyota Sequoia instead of a Rolls, where the papparazzi are taking shots of my crotch every time I step out onto the red carpet.

Just put on Panties if you do !!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2009, 02:56 PM

7,796 posts, read 16,416,723 times
I'm gonna' go with filthy rich and famous!!!! When does it start???

Old 12-04-2009, 03:31 PM

2,412 posts, read 7,184,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave nz View Post
Which would you rather...... Filthy rich and famous and the instrusion into your private life and media hounding or a comfortable living but not rich.
None of the above. I'd rather be filthy rich and relatively anonymous. I know a number of people who fit this category; they've hit the formula correctly. Their secret? They're rich and live well, but they eschew the mass-level pop culture icons of wealth.

Those who are rich and famous but bemoan the glamor of the spotlight are often full of baloney. These same people who supposedly want to avoid publicity seem to vacation in all the "right" (i.e. trendy) places, drive flashy cars, buy ostentatious homes in high profile spots, and spend their (supposed) leisure time at high-publicity events. In other words, the do everything to call attention to themselves. If you're doing that, then you really don't want privacy

Here's my advice for 'em: Wanna avoid the spotlight? Instead of vacationing in St. Barts or Ibiza, just get a nice hotel room at a middle of the road, quiet beachfront resort. Pass on the Beverly Hills mansion or Fifth Avenue co-op; buy a nice, comfortable house in Omaha or Atlanta. Don't get a beach house in The Hamptons; buy a condo at Rehoboth Beach, Delaware; pass on the Hollywood red carpet affairs and buy tickets to the Pittsburgh Symphony or Houston Grand Opera. Skip the flashy Mercedes, BMW, Cadillac Escalade, and don't even think about a Ferrari; drive an understated Lexus, Lincoln Town Car, or Chevy Suburban. Forget the VIP seats at the high profile, network TV sporting events; enjoy the game via season tickets to the Boston Red Sox.

Old 12-04-2009, 09:47 PM

5,648 posts, read 8,068,111 times
I vote rich because most rich men have more advantages with women. Plus, rich men have lower divorce rates.

I wish I was born in a rich family.

Old 12-06-2009, 08:20 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,239,516 times
Well I opted for not famous and comfortable but honestly I think you can be filthy rich, famous and still have a decent amount of privacy.
There are filthy rich and famous that manage to tone it down. And there is always a foreign country to move too, buy your own island.

Old 12-06-2009, 10:21 AM

1,501 posts, read 5,685,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by professorsenator View Post
Forget the VIP seats at the high profile, network TV sporting events; enjoy the game via season tickets to the Boston Red Sox.
Chit out of luck here if a Yankee fan -- can forget those Legends seats too

Give me filthy rich and famous. Best Friends Animal Sanctuary would be "set" and the worthless mediots would leave me alone anyway because the only issues I'd babble about would reflect too badly on "certain" precious advertisers of theirs; I'd still have the same friends.

I have known some of those filthy rich folks and they were usually more down to earth and just flat out nicer than most in my own tax bracket were. Have found that the more successful somebody is, the less need for them to put others down to make themselves feel bigger and better about themselves anyway. Wish I could surround myself with these all the time.

The people I'd try most to avoid would be the egomaniacs "not quite there", driving Jags but can't afford the Rolls -- they are the WORST and I'd find a way to get around them doing business if I was ever rich. Those selling the homes to the uber-successful will be snottiest to the working "staff" while the super-rich treat them like family/with respect. Same for secretaries and the like of the super-super successful -- just sad. They may make much more $$$ than I do but are the shallowest of suck-ups and nothing more. Maitre d's at fancy restaurants another good exhibit of this. Shallow suckups with their hands out and NOT discreet about it wouldn't get one cent from me!

Old 12-06-2009, 11:05 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,586,064 times
It's not the intrusion into my private life that would bother me. It's the responsibilty. If I were rich, I'd feel I was both a role model and responsible for doing something positive with my wealth and fame. I guess I just don't want to stand before God on judgement day and have to explain why I didn't start a charity, join greenpeace, whatever...Being busy earning a living excuses me from that higher responsibility.

My nightmare would be winning the lotto. I would feel an incredible responsibility to do something fantastic with the money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships