Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2009, 09:20 AM

4,483 posts, read 5,328,940 times

Advertisements

Within the past decade, I was involved with a number of women. Most of them have moved on to marriage, and some of them, to motherhood.

It's amazing how people can change lookswise - or not - from their early/mid-20s to their early/mid-30s.

"Alexa" was a very thin woman I dated in early 2000. She measures about 5'4", and just didn't gain weight. She had actually been chubby in high school and college, and told me that once she got slim in her mid-20s, guys flocked to her. A sweetheart, we had a friendly breakup and stayed friends for a short time, but life changes on both sides - for her, more significant: she met the man she later married - made sure we eventually drifted away.

We found each other on a social networking site a few years later and stayed friends, but didn't talk other than holiday greetings. Then, I saw a photo of Alexa earlier this year. I was surprised... she was now quite round and her face, much chubbier. I don't know if she has become a mother, but she was a lot fatter. She looked a lot older than 37.

"Iris" is someone I dated also in 2000. She's very petite, about 5'2", and while not very slim, she was always in decent shape. She was only 23 when we broke up (also in friendly terms) and I managed to meet her once in late 2000. I then met her twice in 2003 (when she was already dating the man she married). She had barely changed, only a bit of weight.

Iris and I eventually lost touch... but again thanks to the miracle of the Internet, I found her. She's now a proud mom. We spoke on the phone and saw each others' pictures on Facebook. With the exception of a bit of weight, Iris has remained nearly identical to how she looked nearly 10 years ago.

Sonya is the 3rd girlfriend I had (yes, also...) in 2000. The most short-lived relationship, but thankfully, another clean breakup. We lost touch after we broke up. Then, on a stroll one day in late 2008, I saw a woman who looked oddly familiar. I went up to her, excused myself, and asked her if her name was Sonya. It was, and she looked at me oddly as if to say "who are you?"

I had put on considerable weight (fat and muscle) from the last time we'd seen each other more than 8 years before, so I had to tell her who I was. The surprise was palpable.

We spent several minutes catching up, asking each other how life had treated us, etc. Sonya was now married - she'd been married 5 (well, now, 6 years), and had not yet had any children. She remained elegant in her 5'8" frame, and had not gained any weight; her long legs remained attractive. But her face reflected her age. Life had taken its toll on her once clean, smooth, and pale complexion. Now there were wrinkles and her skin was nowhere as uniformly colored as it had been when we'd dated.

We shook hands and wished each other well, and walked off on our paths.

"Meeshy" was also around 5'8", very pretty... and somebody I broke up with rather bitterly. I ran into her, and her husband and baby, around the same period I ran into Sonya. It was rather awkward, as neither one of us made eye contact with each other, but her husband was polite to me and to my company, as I'd known him before he married Meeshy. Meeshy looked as good as she had when we were together in the mid-late 1990s, with the exception of a tad of added fat, presumably from motherhood.

There are other ex's, some from this decade. One of them looks even BETTER than she did when we were together because she took up martial arts (and is now a black belt)... and so is her husband. Another, also from the mid-late 1990s, was several years older than me, which would make her 40 right now... she was incredibly pretty, a bit chunky, but very curvy. I wonder how she looks now, but given our backgrounds, I doubt I'll ever know.

Given how, as I said, I've put on weight and changed my hair, I wonder what my ex's thought when they first saw me after all those years...
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2009, 09:33 AM

20,048 posts, read 18,299,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprawling_Homeowner View Post
Within the past decade, I was involved with a number of women. Most of them have moved on to marriage, and some of them, to motherhood.

It's amazing how people can change lookswise - or not - from their early/mid-20s to their early/mid-30s.

"Alexa" was a very thin woman I dated in early 2000. She measures about 5'4", and just didn't gain weight. She had actually been chubby in high school and college, and told me that once she got slim in her mid-20s, guys flocked to her. A sweetheart, we had a friendly breakup and stayed friends for a short time, but life changes on both sides - for her, more significant: she met the man she later married - made sure we eventually drifted away.

We found each other on a social networking site a few years later and stayed friends, but didn't talk other than holiday greetings. Then, I saw a photo of Alexa earlier this year. I was surprised... she was now quite round and her face, much chubbier. I don't know if she has become a mother, but she was a lot fatter. She looked a lot older than 37.

"Iris" is someone I dated also in 2000. She's very petite, about 5'2", and while not very slim, she was always in decent shape. She was only 23 when we broke up (also in friendly terms) and I managed to meet her once in late 2000. I then met her twice in 2003 (when she was already dating the man she married). She had barely changed, only a bit of weight.

Iris and I eventually lost touch... but again thanks to the miracle of the Internet, I found her. She's now a proud mom. We spoke on the phone and saw each others' pictures on Facebook. With the exception of a bit of weight, Iris has remained nearly identical to how she looked nearly 10 years ago.

Sonya is the 3rd girlfriend I had (yes, also...) in 2000. The most short-lived relationship, but thankfully, another clean breakup. We lost touch after we broke up. Then, on a stroll one day in late 2008, I saw a woman who looked oddly familiar. I went up to her, excused myself, and asked her if her name was Sonya. It was, and she looked at me oddly as if to say "who are you?"

I had put on considerable weight (fat and muscle) from the last time we'd seen each other more than 8 years before, so I had to tell her who I was. The surprise was palpable.

We spent several minutes catching up, asking each other how life had treated us, etc. Sonya was now married - she'd been married 5 (well, now, 6 years), and had not yet had any children. She remained elegant in her 5'8" frame, and had not gained any weight; her long legs remained attractive. But her face reflected her age. Life had taken its toll on her once clean, smooth, and pale complexion. Now there were wrinkles and her skin was nowhere as uniformly colored as it had been when we'd dated.

We shook hands and wished each other well, and walked off on our paths.

"Meeshy" was also around 5'8", very pretty... and somebody I broke up with rather bitterly. I ran into her, and her husband and baby, around the same period I ran into Sonya. It was rather awkward, as neither one of us made eye contact with each other, but her husband was polite to me and to my company, as I'd known him before he married Meeshy. Meeshy looked as good as she had when we were together in the mid-late 1990s, with the exception of a tad of added fat, presumably from motherhood.

There are other ex's, some from this decade. One of them looks even BETTER than she did when we were together because she took up martial arts (and is now a black belt)... and so is her husband. Another, also from the mid-late 1990s, was several years older than me, which would make her 40 right now... she was incredibly pretty, a bit chunky, but very curvy. I wonder how she looks now, but given our backgrounds, I doubt I'll ever know.

Given how, as I said, I've put on weight and changed my hair, I wonder what my ex's thought when they first saw me after all those years...
This has happened a lot for me with old school chums. What's weird is how so many of the ones who were considered good-looking turned into Jabba the Hutt-types.

And, there are some who weren't such great looking folks in school who look pretty darn good now. Of course, there are also some folks like me who in the words of so many, haven't changed a bit.

You guys will be glad to know that most of the Jabba the Hutt-types, have really just received a bit of poetic justice for their high school snobbery.

Last edited by picklejuice; 12-04-2009 at 09:46 AM..

Old 12-04-2009, 09:47 AM

20,048 posts, read 18,299,911 times

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vy9Lqq5Vs10

LOL!

Old 12-04-2009, 10:02 AM

138 posts, read 285,325 times
I Would like to see some of my EX's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! from behind !~

Old 12-04-2009, 10:10 AM

3,644 posts, read 10,937,498 times
The other day, I was on FB and my 7 year old dd came up to me. My friend list was up - thumbnail photos. My dd stood there for a second and asked, "Why do you have so many pictures of Daddy?"

Ummm... I guess I've always gone for a certain type of guy. And about 90% of them now have full beards, similar body types, similar hair, similar coloring/eyes. Probably only 25% of them had facial hair when we were together. They are married to women who look similar to me as well.

On the other hand, my dh's exes all look VERY different from me, and their spouses all look VERY different from him.

Old 12-04-2009, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by picklejuice View Post
This has happened a lot for me with old school chums. What's weird is how so many of the ones who were considered good-looking turned into Jabba the Hutt-types.

And, there are some who weren't such great looking folks in school who look pretty darn good now. Of course, there are also some folks like me who in the words of so many, haven't changed a bit.

You guys will be glad to know that most of the Jabba the Hutt-types, have really just received a bit of poetic justice for their high school snobbery.
I know two women who turned rather big, but I doubt they were high school snobs.

They are sisters and are about the same height, at about 5'2"... and my goodness, they have swollen.

The younger one was really cute in college. Slim, pretty face. If I didn't know her, I'd say she looks well into her 40s even though she's only 37. Her older sister is almost 40 and looks as if she's in her late 40s, and she's even fatter.

Because I go to the gym regularly, and am fairly well-informed on healthy eating, I find it hard to understand why some people get so careless with their own bodies in this manner.

Old 12-04-2009, 10:15 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,619,505 times
I've met up with two of my exes recently. One asked me to go out for coffee and we caught up on our crazy lives He still looks AMAZING, looks hardly a day over 25 and he just turned 33. He recently got married to a lovely girl and I'm getting married in the next few months, he's also been actively touring with a pretty well known band as their drummer. Both of our significant others met and I'm hoping that this may turn into a double date/double friendship type of situation because I still love him to death (non romantically, we were friends loooong before we dated).

The other one I actually saw at the store in which my sister works at. I was doing a bit of Holiday shopping and we ran into eachother. He used to be a very scrawny computer nerd. He actually cheated on me and moved to Vegas to be with his new 'girl' so we didn't end on good terms. He's bulked up quite a bit and is a metalworker/blacksmith for Renaissance faires. Still a nerd But it was nice seeing him nonetheless... even though he's now dating a crazy CosPlay girl who happens to be a furry. Google that if you want to be scarred for life.

Old 12-04-2009, 10:25 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,947,317 times
This thread made me laugh because thinking back to seeing some of my exes years later, almost all of them seem to have gotten fat and/or old looking. I guess they say the same about me.

My ex wife - ten years older than me, but we still talk on occasion via e-mail. After battling cancer and undergoing chemo and radiation, all of her hair has now grown back and she pretty much looks the same as she did in the early to mid 90s. Skin is still flawless with only a hint of crows feet around the eyes. She may be gearing up for marriage number five. I was husband #3. She's still very attractive and does not look her age one bit.

Ex GF #1 - this is the one I talk about a lot here who looks like Diane Lane. Heavier girl who would workout like an animal with her 2000-3000 situps crunches and 5k-10k runs and 2-3 cardio karate classes back to back. Saw her driving next to me a while back and we pulled over to chat. Her then 36-24-36 body is now 36-36-36 (and Im being generous) and her face really looked old for someone in her 30s. She said she's single and is still looking for Mr Right and made comment that we should have gotten married.

I dont want to go on and list other ex GFs, but thing is, Im sure they all had similar things to say about me - "Boy, he looks a lot older" "his hair is starting to gray". At least I can say that my body is in even better shape now than ever before but sadly they cant. I think time is much more forgiving to us men than it is to women.

Old 12-04-2009, 10:30 AM

9,444 posts, read 17,378,669 times
I don't know...all my ex's still look great. They were my boyfriends for a reason.

Old 12-04-2009, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
I think time is much more forgiving to us men than it is to women.
Unless men really let themselves go, I think this is at least partially true.

In early 2005, I ran into an acquaintance who said "I think you are getting younger."

In early 2009, I ran into someone I had not seen since 1996, and he said, "dude, you got younger!"

All it takes is a healthy diet and a strict exercise regimen. The wrinkles will come and the white hair will grow, but why not stay in shape?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships