Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2010, 03:10 PM

1,679 posts, read 2,543,991 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeetMeinSTL View Post
Nobody said they were abnormal. Why are you refusing to acknowledge that many suffer from black self hatred? To deny that is foolish. Not all of them are self loathing, but many are. Willful ignorance on your part.
Is there some research regarding them having self hatred or are you just assuming this is how they feel? If a qualitative research study was done and they said something contradictory to what you believe, would you tell them they are lying?

Old 01-01-2010, 03:12 PM

52,291 posts, read 52,734,263 times
Quote:
Nobody said they were abnormal. Why are you refusing to acknowledge that many suffer from black self hatred? To deny that is foolish. Not all of them are self loathing, but many are. Willful ignorance on your part.
Couldn't we just agree that maybe, perhaps, it could be just a self-esteem issue, not necessarily a cognitive thought process that says. "I hate myself because I'm black."

As a white guy I don't feel any self hatred cause I'm white. I would think this same thought process would apply to non-whites.

Old 01-01-2010, 03:19 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,191,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
Please present statistics that state that BM "abandon" their children at higher rates. Thanks.
This subject is not a personal battle for me at all, but there are plenty of statistics proving these rates.

Depending on whose statistics you believe, anywhere from 70 to 85% of black kids are now being raised by single-moms. This suggests that African-American males raised during the heyday of misogynistic gangsta rap might be unwilling to shoulder their fair share of the burden when it comes to parenting.

Be a Father to Your Child

A good portion of the male Black population also ends up in prison, which complicates the problem further.

BLACK MEN - Left out and locked up

Old 01-01-2010, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Couldn't we just agree that maybe, perhaps, it could be just a self-esteem issue, not necessarily a cognitive thought process that says. "I hate myself because I'm black."

As a white guy I don't feel any self hatred cause I'm white. I would think this same thought process would apply to non-whites.
One of the initial questions I ask my youth is, "Do you love yourself." Now granted many of them probably have no idea what loves means in it greatest form, but they all say they do and that they want to be successful, but without the proper supports they do not know how to achieve the level of success they desire.

Old 01-01-2010, 03:23 PM

6,454 posts, read 7,014,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
This subject is not a personal battle for me at all, but there are plenty of statistics proving these rates.

Depending on whose statistics you believe, anywhere from 70 to 85% of black kids are now being raised by single-moms. This suggests that African-American males raised during the heyday of misogynistic gangsta rap might be unwilling to shoulder their fair share of the burden when it comes to parenting.

Be a Father to Your Child

A good portion of the male Black population also ends up in prison, which complicates the problem further.

BLACK MEN - Left out and locked up
Please provide a statistic that says abandonment. Children being raised in single-parent households DOES NOT equate to men having NO interaction with their children at all. There is no telling what percentage of those children have joint custody with their fathers and what percentage of them also receive child support. Playing the ghuessing game isn't substantive enough.

Advice from Steve Harvey isn't credible and neither is it from some random black female author.

As far as prison is concerned, BW have higher rates of incarceration compared to women of other races. Perhaps this is why a dispproportionate number of black children are either abused, neglected and/or in foster care? I guess Barack left that part out on mother's day

"The quantum leap in black women behind bars has had devastating impact on families and the quality of life in many poor black communities. Thousands of children of incarcerated women are raised by grandparents, or warehoused in foster homes and institutions. The children are frequently denied visits because the mothers are deemed unfit. This prevents mothers from developing parenting and nurturing skills and deeply disrupts the parent-child bond. Many children of imprisoned women drift into delinquency, gangs and drug use. This perpetuates the vicious cycle of poverty, crime and violence. There are many cases where parents and even grandparents are jailed"

Why So Many Black Women Are Behind Bars
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/earl-o...a_b_35409.html

"The U.S. war on drugs has become a war on women, specifically women of color. According to a Department of Justice Report, since federal drug laws ushered in mandatory sentencing in 1986, the incarceration rate for women has increased 400 percent, and the figure for black women is 800 percent"

Women and the prison industrial complex
http://www.kersplebedeb.com/mystuff/...n_pic_oob.html

Last edited by itshim; 01-01-2010 at 03:43 PM..

Old 01-01-2010, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Please provide a statistic that says abandonment. Children being raised in single-parent households DOES NOT equate to men having NO interaction with their children at all.

Advice from Steve Harvey isn't credible.

As far as prison is concerned, BW have higher rates of incarceration compared to women of other races. Perhaps this is why a dispproportionate number of black children are either abused, neglected and/or in foster care? I guess Barack left that part out on mother's day
Any solutions you could offer, since you seem hell bent on speaking to the problems we are well aware of.

Old 01-01-2010, 03:36 PM

266 posts, read 464,500 times
Quote:
Please provide a statistic that says abandonment. Children being raised in single-parent households DOES NOT equate to men having NO interaction with their children at all.

Advice from Steve Harvey isn't credible.

Still in denial. This thread may as well be locked. People are refusing to discuss the issues at hand. You know a great number of black men abandon their children and don't support them emotionally, financially, etc. Google it and look at all of the topics that pop up. You know it's an issue in the black community, but congrats, you're perhaps the first I've seen that is so not willing to address it.

Old 01-01-2010, 03:40 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,191,027 times
Quote:
Child support statistics are probably not easy to be found and I don't care to spend my time doing so, but you can look at the quotes below. Does it sound to you like these children in a single-parent (let's face it - that translates to a single mother) household are taken care of?

What do you mean by "interaction"...? You "interact" with a video game, let's say. You can't even interact with a pet because pets are also responsibility and need to be fed, walked, and otherwise taken care of!

You just can't demonstrate this deep denial when there are facts and observations proving the state of these affairs left and right.

Fifty percent of black children in single-parent homes are poor compared to just 11 percent in married families.

Add to this the notion that many black men are not paying child support for many reasons – mothers refuse to take them to court, men may lack sufficient employment to make a difference and fathers go underground in order not to be tracked down or traced – and you have many ingredients for an all-out disaster for the most innocent individual involved: the child.

Most Black Married Mommas Could Have Been Statistics | The LA Progressive (http://www.laprogressive.com/2009/11/05/most-black-married-mommas-could-have-been-statistics/ - broken link)

Old 01-01-2010, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Still in denial. This thread may as well be locked. People are refusing to discuss the issues at hand. You know a great number of black men abandon their children and don't support them emotionally, financially, etc. Google it and look at all of the topics that pop up. You know it's an issue in the black community, but congrats, you're perhaps the first I've seen that is so not willing to address it.
We know this to be truth, but we also know that we as a community need to prevent these ongoing behaviors. The discussion is about what the original poster created, not black men abandoning their children or black women being in jail. It appears that you enjoy speaking to some of our negative aspects in our community and I do not think there is one black person who would deny that some of your statements are true. Is that what you need to hear, that we do agree with some of your statements. Well let me the first to say that I do believe that many black men have abandoned their children, do not support them emotionally, financially, etc.

Old 01-01-2010, 03:50 PM

266 posts, read 464,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaveno View Post
We know this to be truth, but we also know that we as a community need to prevent these ongoing behaviors. The discussion is about what the original poster created, not black men abandoning their children or black women being in jail. It appears that you enjoy speaking to some of our negative aspects in our community and I do not think there is one black person who would deny that some of your statements are true. Is that what you need to hear, that we do agree with some of your statements. Well let me the first to say that I do believe that many black men have abandoned their children, do not support them emotionally, financially, etc.

I enjoy speaking of the positives of Black culture (because I know our culture is rich and we have a lot to be proud of), however, if we don't openly speak of the negative, how can we begin to correct it? Ignoring it doesn't make the problem go away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships