Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2009, 06:49 PM

1,125 posts, read 2,193,424 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
As a mod in Relationships forum I can say it is pretty even handed distribution of gender bashing
I wouldn't call it bashing. I'd more say that women in general love to tell men what a definition of a man is.

Old 12-11-2009, 07:00 PM

12,585 posts, read 16,959,573 times
Default Where have all the good black men gone?

To get penis reduction surgery.

Old 12-11-2009, 08:13 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,764,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
I had no father, and I was born a real man. That is no excuse, for fathers, for sons, or for mothers and daughters. You don't need to be taught how to be a father.
No baby is "born a real man" And all research would certainly disagree with your opinion.

Boys have to LEARN how to be men. Most times that works best with a father or other male role model in the picture. (Though sometimes a mother can be strong enough to guide a boy where he needs to be if he's lucky)

Old 12-11-2009, 08:24 PM

4,379 posts, read 5,386,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
"Good Black women" need to spend less time looking for "good Black men" and focus on:

-Having a pleasant attitude
-Managing weight in a healthy range
-Get the financial house in order
-Not expecting "Prince Charming" to pay for trivial things like nail and hair salon visits, cell phone, electric bills because you will reduce yourself to being trivial as well
-Stop following "ghetto" trends in style and fashion - just because its cute in the hood doesn't mean that the rest of us think so
-Building their self esteem (not over compensating for a lack there of with attitude)
-Understand that you can not use sex to buy love - initimacy should be reserved for men who have proven that they are worthy of such special step in a relationship
-Not being overly materialistic (seeking the value of good quality over a quantity of brand name labels)
-Stop dismissing good men as "corny" or "punks" because they aren't "hard" "roughnecks" "thugs"
-Step outside of the current comfort zone and explore new things (skiing, travel, hiking, etc.)
-Learn how to relinquish "control" over each and every situation and let the man in your life to be a man
-Open up to the possibility of finding love with a "Good Man" of any race, this maybe the blessing that God really has planned for you

Signed,

A Really Good Black Woman
I thought the "angry black woman" thing was just a stereotype?

Old 12-11-2009, 08:33 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,541,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samston View Post
I thought the "angry black woman" thing was just a stereotype?
No one mentioned anything about an "angry Black woman" stereotype.

Old 12-11-2009, 08:36 PM

844 posts, read 1,280,987 times
This thread WREAKS of white nationalist race baiting. Take a gander over into the P and C section to see more "Why are black men all criminals

Blacks are all racist

Blacks are all dangerous

Blacks are lazy and unemployed

--and similar threads posted by 'newcomer's to the forum. Gimme a break.

Old 12-11-2009, 08:49 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,663,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
No baby is "born a real man" And all research would certainly disagree with your opinion.
Research?
What is your point?

Quote:
Boys have to LEARN how to be men. Most times that works best with a father or other male role model in the picture. (Though sometimes a mother can be strong enough to guide a boy where he needs to be if he's lucky)
Actually, when a boy is 18 he becomes a man. What he learns in terms of how to be a husband or father, and how he learns it can all vary in quality and effectiveness. I had no help in becoming the type of man who functions fairly well in society. I depended on instinct and basic logic. It has worked well, as far as I know.

I had a mother who taught me all she knew, and she was a very, very good role model. But I became a biological man, and a "real" man on my own.

Old 12-11-2009, 08:49 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,764,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tindo80 View Post
This thread WREAKS of white nationalist race baiting. Take a gander over into the P and C section to see more "Why are black men all criminals

Blacks are all racist

Blacks are all dangerous

Blacks are lazy and unemployed

--and similar threads posted by 'newcomer's to the forum. Gimme a break.

Well, yes, that does reek

But generalizations on any one group of people are never accurate.

Old 12-11-2009, 09:46 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,495,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
"Good Black women" need to spend less time looking for "good Black men" and focus on:

-Having a pleasant attitude
-Managing weight in a healthy range
-Get the financial house in order
-Not expecting "Prince Charming" to pay for trivial things like nail and hair salon visits, cell phone, electric bills because you will reduce yourself to being trivial as well
-Stop following "ghetto" trends in style and fashion - just because its cute in the hood doesn't mean that the rest of us think so
-Building their self esteem (not over compensating for a lack there of with attitude)
-Understand that you can not use sex to buy love - initimacy should be reserved for men who have proven that they are worthy of such special step in a relationship
-Not being overly materialistic (seeking the value of good quality over a quantity of brand name labels)
-Stop dismissing good men as "corny" or "punks" because they aren't "hard" "roughnecks" "thugs"
-Step outside of the current comfort zone and explore new things (skiing, travel, hiking, etc.)
-Learn how to relinquish "control" over each and every situation and let the man in your life to be a man
-Open up to the possibility of finding love with a "Good Man" of any race, this maybe the blessing that God really has planned for you

Signed,

A Really Good Black Woman
I think I'm in love! But I'm also married Guess it's good thing that I'm in love with my wife!

Old 12-11-2009, 09:48 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,213,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Actually, when a boy is 18 he becomes a man. What he learns in terms of how to be a husband or father, and how he learns it can all vary in quality and effectiveness. I had no help in becoming the type of man who functions fairly well in society. I depended on instinct and basic logic. It has worked well, as far as I know.
Legally he does become a man but I have rarely seen an 18 YO who is actually a man mentally.

A man (and most women) is not truly fully developed until at least the ages of 24 to 27 years old.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.