Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2007, 12:39 PM

107 posts, read 690,101 times

Advertisements

I am in a sticky situation and do not know how to proced, any advice would be so helpful!!! We are planning on moving to another state. And buy our first home. We are getting a little bit of money from my mother when we sell the house we are currently in. But what happened was when we first talked about looking to move my wealthy great aunt said when your ready to move auntie will help you out. That was in like jan/feb as time goes on were getting closer to be ready to move (our house is on the market etc) now during this time the amount I’m supposed to get form my mother has gone way down b/c of market times we’ve had to list way lower then originally thought. We were originally going to get about 60,000. and now were getting 25-30,000. which is still a lot but not really enough we are looking at neaeding
20,000 to put down on a house
8,000 to pay off our car
3000 credit card debt
4000 for moving
5000 f urniture
2000 (at least to put in savings)

Which equals roughly 40,000 + that we would ideally need. Now I’ve kept in touch with my great aunt sporadically (every few weeks) the last time we spoke I was very upset (when we learned that we were only getting 25-30,000) I was worried about being able to afford everything. She said to give her some time so she can figure out hwo much she could help me with.

Well I didn’t hear from her for about 3 weeks after that. I sent 2 letters and left a message. I got a message to day that said oh I got yoru pictures the kids and everyone is beautiful . I’ve just been very busy. But we’ll keep in touch don’t worry.

Now I’m not sure how or if I should bring up the money and seeing if shse is able to help me now I am NOT money hungry and don’t wan tto appear that way be we need to know how much we have when considering the house we’ll buy etc. so I ‘m not sure if I should wiat until we get an offer on our house for sale then bring it up or just bring it up. Or just leave it? Any suggestions on how to deal with this??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2007, 12:41 PM

117 posts, read 215,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdwmom2 View Post
I am in a sticky situation and do not know how to proced, any advice would be so helpful!!! We are planning on moving to another state. And buy our first home. We are getting a little bit of money from my mother when we sell the house we are currently in. But what happened was when we first talked about looking to move my wealthy great aunt said when your ready to move auntie will help you out. That was in like jan/feb as time goes on were getting closer to be ready to move (our house is on the market etc) now during this time the amount I’m supposed to get form my mother has gone way down b/c of market times we’ve had to list way lower then originally thought. We were originally going to get about 60,000. and now were getting 25-30,000. which is still a lot but not really enough we are looking at neaeding
8,000 to pay off our car
3000 credit card debt
4000 for moving
5000 f urniture

Which equals roughly 40,000 + that we would ideally need. Now I’ve kept in touch with my great aunt sporadically (every few weeks) the last time we spoke I was very upset (when we learned that we were only getting 25-30,000) I was worried about being able to afford everything. She said to give her some time so she can figure out hwo much she could help me with.

Well I didn’t hear from her for about 3 weeks after that. I sent 2 letters and left a message. I got a message to day that said oh I got yoru pictures the kids and everyone is beautiful . I’ve just been very busy. But we’ll keep in touch don’t worry.

Now I’m not sure how or if I should bring up the money and seeing if shse is able to help me now I am NOT money hungry and don’t wan tto appear that way be we need to know how much we have when considering the house we’ll buy etc. so I ‘m not sure if I should wiat until we get an offer on our house for sale then bring it up or just bring it up. Or just leave it? Any suggestions on how to deal with this??
Yall have to stop relying on getting things given to you damn. Rely on yourself and straight up hard work for once.

Old 05-21-2007, 12:45 PM

We have worked hard. we put ourselves through college raised 2 kids. and if we didnt get money we'd have to rent and not buy. which is fine but she offered an di didnt know if i should follow up. its not about having it handed to us before you say that you should realize people have gone through alot we've done so much to make it . but this is the situation were in now and i just wanted some advice.

Old 05-21-2007, 12:50 PM

also the reason that we are getting money from my mother selling her house is because of two things 1. we did kind of like a rent to own senario and 2. my DH did all the repairs himself and we paid for supplies to get the house ready to be on the market both of which total about 70,000.00

Old 05-21-2007, 03:34 PM

5,981 posts, read 18,277,272 times
Ignore Flipper, he's having a bad life.

I think I'd wait until you have an offer and then I would only mention the offer and your potential earnings from it - if auntie doesn't come back with anything, for whatever reason she has decided to back out.

Not sure of your expectations, though...

8,000 to pay off our car
3000 credit card debt
4000 for moving
5000 f urniture

You will have the money to move and to put down on a house - why do you also have to pay off your credit card, and can't you take your car note with you? $5000 for furniture but $4000 moving expenses anyway?

Why are you moving, and how far? I will be honest - at first glance I have to ask if this is a good time for you to move....if your house proceeds have declined by half and you feel you have to pay off all this other stuff, maybe you should wait on a market upswing and pay this other stuff off in the meantime and get your funds together.

The only .02 cents I will give Flipper is that this was a gift that was offered at one time, but it's certainly not great aunt's place to HAVE to come through with any funds whatsoever.

If you feel that you HAVE to move, your best bet might be to rent for a while. Home ownership does have it's drawbacks, and you may find on second glance you bought in the wrong neighborhood for you.

If you've got $70K tied up in the house you're in and you're only getting $25-30K, that's a MAJOR loss...

Old 05-21-2007, 03:48 PM

Thanks for your advice. the whole situation is very complicated. first we want to move far away becuase florida has gotton bad at least where were from and our family is in texas where we want to move. It was not our decision to move at this time my mothe rowns the house and shes getting older and really wants to retire and move asap so she decided to put it up. were kinda stuck.and have to move when it sells. i know we could dtake our credit cards and car payment but thats what we had intially planned with the amount of money we were going to be given the furniture an dstuff we oculd always due without. I am not expecting the money my aunt said shed give but if shes willing to i'd be very thankful! otherwise we'll redo our numbers only put 15,000. etc we'll work it out

I just didnt know how to rebring it up to her without sounding rude or anything. shes offered twice but we dotn speak of it everytime we talk.

thanks again!

Old 05-21-2007, 05:23 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,845,945 times
How the heck can anyone have 3 grand credit card debt? Cut that thing in half right now!
Then wait and see what happens with the house. If it sells...sure bring it up...but in a nice polite way. But I would be prepared to "not" get it. Just in case.

Old 05-21-2007, 05:34 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,045,611 times
$3000 in credit card debt is probably lower than the national average, unfortunately. Gotta keep up with the Joneses.

Maybe you shouldn't put so much down on the house. Most lenders don't require that much anymore. It probably makes more sense to pay off your credit cards and vehicles first, then you'd have more money monthly to make your house note. Just my .02.

I wouldn't ask/remind Auntie about the money. But that's just me.

Old 05-21-2007, 05:40 PM

5,981 posts, read 18,277,272 times
I think you have to have mortgage insurance if you put less than 20% down on a house now.....and I could only WISH to have $3K in credit card debt after putting a kid through law school!

Here's my honest take - if you have to have the money just to do the move, you really don't need the joys of home ownership. It sounds like your finances could be a little precarious, and it's always SO wonderful when the air conditioner blows up in July....there goes your savings account and then some. Rent cheap, get your finances together, and don't worry about your aunt - plan on doing it yourself. If a gift comes through, great...if not, you will be prepared when the right deal comes along and have a nest egg, too.

Old 05-21-2007, 06:21 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,845,945 times
You mean to tell me people across America have on average +/- 3 grand credit card debt? What the heck people? What are you buying? I don't think mines been over a grand in the last 5 years. I cannot fathom having that much. I'm not normal am I?
And good luck to you wdwmom2...I hope things go your way soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships