Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 02:15 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,784,725 times

Advertisements

I can honestly say there were times in my life I should have sought help but didn't. Not so much because of stigmatism's but because I chose to tough it out and cope. In hindsight that probably wasn't the best way to cope with some of the tragedies in my life. I agree with another poster who said that a therapist should be a good fit for you. There was one time I was recommened to see a therapist by my First Sgt. She didn't feel I was coping with the loss of a loved one in a healthy manner and encouraged me to at least try. I gave it a shot and it was a train wreck. First and foremost I wasn't open to therapy so I put up a wall from the start. But that could have been resolved had I been in the room with a competant psychologist. Instead I got some flake who tried to compare the dying of a desert flower to that of my loved one. The analogy angered me and I told him off and walked out of his office. So shop around until you find someone you feel is on the same page and is offering you some sound advice that can be gauged over a reasonable amount of time. Nothing wrong with seeking help. When you have a cavity you see a dentist, when you have a rash you see a dermatologist, when you have primary and secondary ego diffusion you see a psychiatrist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2010, 02:26 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,663,996 times
While it is possible that they may help some people, I would never go to one.

Old 01-07-2010, 02:33 PM

2,976 posts, read 13,375,504 times
Finding the right person is key. The right therapist will educate you about yourself and enable you to see other aspects of your life. More often than not, we seek counseling on x when y was the actual reason we went. This is really a simplistic answer and may not apply to most people.

This I will say - it has been a positive experience for me.

Old 01-07-2010, 02:39 PM

12,963 posts, read 13,679,366 times
If you think you need a therapist don't hesitate. People are afraid of therapy because they don't know what kind of relationship between the therapist and them selves will manifest. Some people know ahead of time they want a Guru, teacher or best friend in the therapist. I think all those things are wrong. I think a therapist is an interpreter if you will, They are there to help you understand how you are responding to your environment.

They will find things that are going well in your life and channel those appropriate modes of responses to the things you would like to work on. I had a friend who seem to go through life having experimental relational ships with people. she would let her therapist know how things are going. If a relationship bombed, Oh well , she and her therapist would try another approach. she did seem happy and I believe she was indeed because people liked to be around her.

Old 01-07-2010, 02:48 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,952,004 times
Why does the client need help in "interpreting" how he or she is responding to the environment. The client already knows he or she is depressed or anxious. Circular thinking seems to be a major problem in therapy and with clients. It's like a trap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
If you think you need a therapist don't hesitate. People are afraid of therapy because they don't know what kind of relationship between the therapist and them selves will manifest. Some people know ahead of time they want a Guru, teacher or best friend in the therapist. I think all those things are wrong. I think a therapist is an interpreter if you will, They are there to help you understand how you are responding to your environment.

They will find things that are going well in your life and channel those appropriate modes of responses to the things you would like to work on. I had a friend who seem to go through life having experimental relational ships with people. she would let her therapist know how things are going. If a relationship bombed, Oh well , she and her therapist would try another approach. she did seem happy and I believe she was indeed because people liked to be around her.

Old 01-07-2010, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Why does the client need help in "interpreting" how he or she is responding to the environment. The client already knows he or she is depressed or anxious. Circular thinking seems to be a major problem in therapy and with clients. It's like a trap.
If I have a loss in my family and I am depressed and I know I am depressed. How do I draw the line between my depression and the loss of a loved one? If I just take my pill will it keep me from mourning this loss? but I need my pill for my depression.

Old 01-07-2010, 03:28 PM

I hope to God that you are being flippant. Because you just described circular thinking.

Quote:
If I have a loss in my family and I am depressed and I know I am depressed. How do I draw the line between my depression and the loss of a loved one? If I just take my pill will it keep me from mourning this loss? but I need my pill for my depression.

Old 01-07-2010, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
I hope to God that you are being flippant.
This is a real life scenario some one close to me is dealing with that a professional is there to sort out .

Old 01-07-2010, 05:01 PM

No. That is circular thinking. Please research circular thinking. It isn't beneficial to think in circles. We all know that.

Quote:
This is a real life scenario some one close to me is dealing with that a professional is there to sort out .

Old 01-07-2010, 05:39 PM

4,895 posts, read 14,142,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFOR View Post
What is your opinion on counseling? Whether it be for marriage or just to help figure out some issues that you had.

Or if you've never been, but know of others that have. Did they have a positive or negative experience from going?

I am almost tempted to go, just to talk to someone about me and my marriage. And also, would like to get some help with my self diagnosed ADD.
I went to one 10 years ago prior to getting divorced. I was not impressed or maybe I chose the wrong counselor. She told me that going to counseling without my husband (at the time) was like a bird trying to fly with one wing...as well as everything I had already discussed with girlfriends...I came out of the session going WTF? I could have charged for that....so...either I'm insanely smart or got the feeling at the time I was insanely stupid.

No worries...I think, in the long run, I'd rather pay my friends (after they've listened way past time necessary).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships