Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 03:43 PM

3,301 posts, read 11,726,634 times

Advertisements

Direct eye contact makes me a little uncomfortable, even with people I know. It's a "shy" thing, I guess. However, if I am talking to someone I've gotten myself accustomed to looking them in the eye (or sometimes at their eyebrows, since that's less intimidating and it looks like I'm looking at their eyes).

Then there is also the "don't want to encourage" or "oh no, I was caught looking" thing, which does happen as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2010, 03:54 PM

52,349 posts, read 52,808,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Your first guess is the correct one

Some of us want to be friendly but at the same time not encourage some guy to come on to us, you know? It's hard to find a balance sometime.

In addition, when a guy is good-looking (as I know YOU are) we want to be careful not to be seen drooling too much!
You know the funny thing about guys hitting on women. I've always be a mellow guy and soooo not into hitting on chicks. I've usually had to have the women beat me over the head before I "got" that they liked me.

Thanks for the anti-Quasimodo complement.

Old 01-09-2010, 03:56 PM

52,349 posts, read 52,808,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juniperbleu View Post
Direct eye contact makes me a little uncomfortable, even with people I know. It's a "shy" thing, I guess. However, if I am talking to someone I've gotten myself accustomed to looking them in the eye (or sometimes at their eyebrows, since that's less intimidating and it looks like I'm looking at their eyes).

Then there is also the "don't want to encourage" or "oh no, I was caught looking" thing, which does happen as well.
I'm pretty shy too and don't like to stare into people's eye that much either.

Which make my question even weirder, because it ain't like I'm staring a lot.

Old 01-09-2010, 04:05 PM

2,754 posts, read 6,106,476 times
LOL--you're just now noticing women do this? Especially young women? Dude, this has been going on since Moby Dick was a minnow, and it's getting worse because young women are so dependent nowadays on their cells that they're losing any shred of social skills they ever had. (I've seen women pretend to talk on their cells when a man was approaching them, say, on the sidewalk, or even in store parking lots; they quickly snatch the phone like a lifeline and begin their faux convos. It's hilarious, but really kinda sad.
Also, no..you're probably a decent-looking guy. I've noticed women for some wweird reason act more timid and childish around handsome guys. Many of them simply lack self-confidence, depsite what the "I am woman hear me roar" types would have you believe.

Old 01-09-2010, 04:09 PM

5,879 posts, read 9,260,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
You know the funny thing about guys hitting on women. I've always be a mellow guy and soooo not into hitting on chicks. I've usually had to have the women beat me over the head before I "got" that they liked me.

Thanks for the anti-Quasimodo complement.
Me too, buddy! Grab my butt ladies, then I'll know for sure?LOL........

Old 01-09-2010, 04:13 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,818,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2RUGGED4YOU View Post
Me too, buddy! Grab my butt ladies, then I'll know for sure?LOL........
hahahahahahaha - well, that SHOULD do it!!

Old 01-09-2010, 04:21 PM

5,879 posts, read 9,260,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
hahahahahahaha - well, that SHOULD do it!!
Like I said, I'm dumb to know when a woman is hitting on me? I try to leave them alone also. Yeah ladies, you can go to the grocery store and not have at least one guy hit on you!

Old 01-09-2010, 04:51 PM

2,954 posts, read 2,905,867 times
Ding-ding, the number one indicator of confidence...

I keep telling my gf's (just friends), if you like a guy hold the eye contact!

"Then he might think I'm interested!"

Yeah...we don't want him thinking that do we

These women want men to chase them BUT fail to realize that men aren't going to chase you if you act like you're not interested. I mean wow!

I'm hard pressed to think of the last time I was actually, outright turned down. I'm not going to take a crap shot, or even feel the need to, on a woman that has been oblivious to my presence all night. That, and I know for a fact that women confident enough to hold eye contact are almost always comfortable in conversation and contributing to it. Wow, with some women, they are so nervous it is like pulling teeth trying to get anything out of them. I pride myself on being able to read women but I'm no expert and shy women are just too hard to read and not worth the effort imo<--flame away.

Once, I was talking to one of these women for the simple fact that she was sitting beside me at the bar. Very shy and I'm basically asking and answering my own questions! Of course five minutes into it I thought screw it, I guess I bombed here. Can't win them all. So I excuse myself and go mingle around all night dancing, talking, having fun, etc. Come the end on the night, she finds me and gives me her number! lol

Old 01-09-2010, 04:56 PM

1,054 posts, read 3,863,475 times
I think your first guess is correct. I look away because I am tired of guys coming onto me when I'm not interested in them and would like to be left in peace while I shop or eat out. After a woman has had a few men who won't take no for an answer stalk her at work, at the laundrymat, church and all over town then it kinda changes a woman's viewpoint IMHO. It got so bad one summer I couldn't go out to eat because nearly every place I went the waiters wanted to sit and talk to me and give me free drinks and they were 20 years younger! I'm not even attractive for crying out loud and am overweight, so I sometimes feel sorry for what really pretty women must go through as far as unwanted attention. Believe it or not guys not every woman who is out alone is single, looking for someone or enjoys men staring at her breasts. Or wants to talk to you. Some of us are tired and want to shop and get home as soon as possible.

Another possibility, though I may be going out on a limb here, is that lesbians probably also look away when guys try to make eye contact with them because they don't want to encourage the men for obvious reasons.

Old 01-09-2010, 04:59 PM

754 posts, read 1,924,526 times
Eye contact is a very intimate thing. The longer you hold eye contact the more intimate so that is why most women and men will avoid direct eye contact with complete strangers. This is different than brief eye contact and a smile and then the look away. Eye contact can also be misunderstood to mean agression, attraction or ill intentions.

On another note, if you want to drive someone to think of you constantly, during a conversation, hold their eye contact until they look away. Then, let it drop, don't over do it and don't follow up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships