Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 03:08 PM

52,207 posts, read 52,636,749 times

Advertisements

Sometimes when I'm out in public I notice that women seem to do this. I'll be say for example at the grocery store, and might happen to meet a woman's eyes, they seem to look away really quick. I notice that sometimes a woman might even try to avoid eye contact. IDK, maybe they do this or not.

I thought that maybe they would do this because they perhaps are afraid to be friendly and smile cause maybe they are afraid to "encourage" men. Meaning that the guy would take it as a cue to hit on them??

I've thought perhaps maybe it's just me.

Maybe I look like I could be related to Quasimodo?

Maybe I have some crumbs on my face and they are too shy to tell me??

So ladies, what could be a possible answer.

(Hopefully it's not the Quasimodo thing. )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2010, 03:11 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,694,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Sometimes when I'm out in public I notice that women seem to do this. I'll be say for example at the grocery store, and might happen to meet a woman's eyes, they seem to look away really quick. I notice that sometimes a woman might even try to avoid eye contact. IDK, maybe they do this or not.

I thought that maybe they would do this because they perhaps are afraid to be friendly and smile cause maybe they are afraid to "encourage" men. Meaning that the guy would take it as a cue to hit on them??

I've thought perhaps maybe it's just me.

Maybe I look like I could be related to Quasimodo?

Maybe I have some crumbs on my face and they are too shy to tell me??

So ladies, what could be a possible answer.

(Hopefully it's not the Quasimodo thing. )
Your first guess is the correct one

Some of us want to be friendly but at the same time not encourage some guy to come on to us, you know? It's hard to find a balance sometime.

In addition, when a guy is good-looking (as I know YOU are) we want to be careful not to be seen drooling too much!

Old 01-09-2010, 03:11 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,227,984 times
I never avoid eye contact. I guess some people are just shy.

Old 01-09-2010, 03:19 PM

865 posts, read 2,431,265 times
I'm guilty of that! I usu. catch someone's eye, b/c I'm looking b/c I find them attractive. But then I look away, b/c I think that they'll think, "Oh God, she's checking me out!!!!", and I don't want them to think that, even if it's true. I'm trying to work on keeping longer eye contact, and add a smile, just to see what happens....

Old 01-09-2010, 03:27 PM

3,284 posts, read 3,523,939 times
I know when I'm checking a girl out I will look away for two reasons. One, because staring is disrespectful and two, I get embarrassed sometimes when I get caught.

If it's a nightlife type environment, getting caught looking is what you want. ;-)

Old 01-09-2010, 03:32 PM

11,865 posts, read 16,996,281 times
In public I'm pretty oblivious to people around me. I just want to get on with my business and not be distracted. If by chance I do meet someone's eyes, I look away - don't really think about it.

So if some dude is quasimodo-like, I wouldn't notice.

Old 01-09-2010, 03:35 PM

5,879 posts, read 9,248,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgfurman View Post
I'm guilty of that! I usu. catch someone's eye, b/c I'm looking b/c I find them attractive. But then I look away, b/c I think that they'll think, "Oh God, she's checking me out!!!!", and I don't want them to think that, even if it's true. I'm trying to work on keeping longer eye contact, and add a smile, just to see what happens....
Due that and you won't have any problems with men. That is if you are available and looking? FYI, most men don't care if you check them out, in fact most like it!

Old 01-09-2010, 03:36 PM

2,529 posts, read 4,350,291 times
I think most are probably just shy and embarrassed to be caught staring. If I'm looking at a man, and he looks back, I just smile.

Old 01-09-2010, 03:37 PM

2,382 posts, read 4,590,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Your first guess is the correct one

Some of us want to be friendly but at the same time not encourage some guy to come on to us, you know? It's hard to find a balance sometime.

In addition, when a guy is good-looking (as I know YOU are) we want to be careful not to be seen drooling too much!
Yep....this ^

Old 01-09-2010, 03:42 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,205,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgfurman View Post
That's me in a nutshell. I think I will add one second more of eye contact and see what happens

I doubt it is the Quasimodo thing Chow- when I am caught looking at someone BC their unusual appearance caught my attention, I will usually just smile at them nicely if they see me looking at them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships