Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2010, 02:26 PM

2,954 posts, read 2,907,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabee View Post
Should it have gone like this?

He: If you're not busy Friday night how's about dinner?

She: I'm not busy this Friday. I'd love dinner! But WAIT...there is something you do not know about me...I am a mother of one.

He: Oh, then...never mind. <Click>
LOL...

I know you wrote that as a joke but sadly I've done that...

That's not right, not right at all...lord forgive me...

Old 01-23-2010, 02:28 PM

7,796 posts, read 16,419,412 times
Quote:

She: I'm not busy this Friday. I'd love dinner! But WAIT...there is something you do not know about me...I am a mother of one.

I can understand a single mom or dad's hesitation to announce they have a kid(s), but don't you think both parties would be better off knowing from the get go? Why waste each other's time if you're not on the same page or even the same chapter?

Last edited by TheImportersWife; 01-23-2010 at 02:39 PM..

Old 01-23-2010, 02:30 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,180,843 times
Quote:

This is a very unrealistic scenario. Most moomies cannot carry on a conversation for more than five minutes without talking about their child/children. Most of them are incapable of talking about anything else.

It would be extremely unlikely that she could "keep it" from him.

20yrsinBranson

Old 01-23-2010, 02:35 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,782,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robee70 View Post
I think you have every right to not want to be with a women with kids and she has every right to not want to date a guy who will be accepting of the fact that she has kids.

Since this is such a major dealbreaker - why didn't you iron this out before you went over?
If the OP feels so strongly about not wanting to be around kids, theres only one reason i can think of as to why he would want to go round to the gals house (and it aint to play Tidliwinks) .

Old 01-23-2010, 02:38 PM

1,252 posts, read 3,488,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansProof View Post
LOL...

I know you wrote that as a joke but sadly I've done that...

That's not right, not right at all...lord forgive me...
It may not be nice but at least you didn't waste each others' time.

Old 01-23-2010, 02:51 PM

437 posts, read 675,686 times
These women made a decision to be single mothers, barring widowhood and the man initiating a divorce (which only happens about 30% of time time).

We should respect their decisions and let them remain single.

To the men, if you are ever introduced to a single mother and later are asked, "doesn't she deserve a good husband (hint, hint)?" say "no," and walk away.

Similarly, if asked: "doesn't that little child need a father?" comment, "she/he already has one, the biological one," and walk away.

It's ok to date single mothers but NEVER meet the kid. Be clear that you are neither going to be daddy nor husband.

Old 01-23-2010, 02:58 PM

7,796 posts, read 16,419,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameiko View Post
These women made a decision to be single mothers, barring widowhood and the man initiating a divorce (which only happens about 30% of time time).

We should respect their decisions and let them remain single.
Bit of a chauvinistic view don't you think?

Ok, so let's say a woman ends up marrying an abusive (whether mentally or physically) man and decides to divorce him, she should forever be banished to life of being single? Same could be asked in the case of infidelity (the husband, not the wife)?

And should the single men with children, regardless of whether it was out of wedlock or who initiated the divorce, remain single as well?

Old 01-23-2010, 03:05 PM

12,974 posts, read 34,001,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
What if she's single with children and divorced? Does that change things for you?
A "divorced mom" is different than a "single mom". Also, a single child is different than having multiple children. When people are married, its usually a joint decision to have children. Its almost never a "well Im pregnant and Im going to have your baby". When folks are married, its cause for celebration on everyones part. Its a wonderful occasion where family, friends, etc. all say how wonderful it is. If the woman is single (i.e., not married to the father), usually the father isnt thrilled about he child, nor are her family or friends.

If she's divorced, this usually means the child actually has HIS/HER biological father playing an active role (which is great) and 9 times out of 10 will have them 3-4 days of the week, thus allowing the mom (and potential dates) the flexibility to do whatever, wherever during that time.

Old 01-23-2010, 03:10 PM

8,003 posts, read 11,740,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
A "divorced mom" is different than a "single mom". Also, a single child is different than having multiple children. When people are married, its usually a joint decision to have children. Its almost never a "well Im pregnant and Im going to have your baby". When folks are married, its cause for celebration on everyones part. Its a wonderful occasion where family, friends, etc. all say how wonderful it is. If the woman is single (i.e., not married to the father), usually the father isnt thrilled about he child, nor are her family or friends.

If she's divorced, this usually means the child actually has HIS/HER biological father playing an active role (which is great) and 9 times out of 10 will have them 3-4 days of the week, thus allowing the mom (and potential dates) the flexibility to do whatever, wherever during that time.
And we all lived happily ever after in our sugar coated castle with gumdrop shrubs.

Old 01-23-2010, 03:10 PM

2,529 posts, read 4,357,272 times
Wow. Some of the posts on here are either from very ignorant men or very immature men.

Every man has a right to not date women with kids. When you meet a woman, if she doesn't volunteer the info, ask her. It's that simple. Then just let her know you prefer not to date someone with children. If she's mature, she'll thank you for your honesty. I know I would.

I would not want to date a man that feels that way, since I have two little ones still home. I tell men right off the bat that I have children. It's then their prerogative to either stay or go. No hard feelings if they go.

I do have to say to the OP though...you've obviously talked to her before going to her house. Did you not know she had a child? Since you're one of those that feel so strongly about the situation, you need to ask first thing.

I think you were hoping for a booty call, and she tested you. (Which, btw, some of the men on here would've condemned HER for later had she had the one night stand and ended up pregnant!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships