Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2010, 02:12 PM

4,164 posts, read 6,312,593 times

Advertisements

First of all...How would you define arrogance? This can be tough because people with good self esteem may seem arrogant at times....AND people with low self esteem can also come across as arrogant too...How do you feel about it? Modest and humble people are able to admit that they still have a lot to learn...versus acting like know-it-alls all the time...AND they seem less inclined to brag and boast and show-off....How do you feel about all of it? Please share your views too. THANKS.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2010, 02:23 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,670,625 times
Default I am shy and humble

and on Sundays I am the supervisor in charge. During the week I am also in charge but there is also an office manager so less is on me. On Sundays when the young girls work with me I am especially humble and shy with them because I have mild to moderate social anxiety and i also think they are evaluating me. When I have to ask one of them for a favor, often i come away with feeling like she thought I was a know-it-all or arrogant. Maybe she didn't think that but it's just how I feel. And it's tough to explain who i am because I don't feel like should have to get into soul bearings with anyone so it can be very uncomfortable with those who don't really know me

Old 02-06-2010, 02:24 PM

404 posts, read 701,434 times
I think it all comes to whether you like someone or not. Often, for the same behaviors you get the following:

If you like them, they are confident. If not, they are arrogant
If you like them, they are attentive. If not, they are stalkers
If you like them, they are original. If not, they are weird
If you like them, they are generous. If not, they try to buy your affection

And so on...

Old 02-06-2010, 02:26 PM

3,378 posts, read 5,007,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CArizona View Post
First of all...How would you define arrogance? This can be tough because people with good self esteem may seem arrogant at times....AND people with low self esteem can also come across as arrogant too...How do you feel about it? Modest and humble people are able to admit that they still have a lot to learn...versus acting like know-it-alls all the time...AND they seem less inclined to brag and boast and show-off....How do you feel about all of it? Please share your views too. THANKS.....
I think you have it right, I myself am quite a smart feller, and at a young age as well but I do know that I have ALOT to learn. All bragging and cockyness does is drive people off (or it might attract people of that likeness), but I don't personally do it. And I've known quite a few arrogant people in my life, and I am very thankful that they are ancient history.

Old 02-06-2010, 03:52 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,134,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carra View Post
I think it all comes to whether you like someone or not. Often, for the same behaviors you get the following:

If you like them, they are confident. If not, they are arrogant
If you like them, they are attentive. If not, they are stalkers
If you like them, they are original. If not, they are weird
If you like them, they are generous. If not, they try to buy your affection

And so on...
Quote of the freaking day.

Old 02-06-2010, 04:00 PM

4,164 posts, read 6,312,593 times
I have to keep bringing myself back down to earth so I won't end up with a big head or inflated ego....How do I do this? I keep reminding myself of all of the areas in my life that need more work...And I still have a ways to go yet when it comes to pleasing myself and becoming skilled in more areas. How about you?

Old 02-06-2010, 04:10 PM

5,879 posts, read 9,247,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CArizona View Post
IMO, people with a lot self confidence and esteem come across as arrogant to some people? I always admit when I have made a mistake and need to learn from it. I will not however, buckle under pressure and lose what confidence I have because someone took offense to me. If you are good at something, whatever that may be, let others know. You don't have to show off, but I believe you should do your best at all times. It is only inevitable the people who don't have the same skills will be jealous. Don't dwell on it and let them get to you. The best people at their craft don't doubt their abilities ever!

Old 02-06-2010, 04:12 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
self esteem is permanent and fixed, very little room for adjustment.
the trick is learning to work around it and know what you are full of baloney or writing yourself off too quickly.
being laid back is good, laying down is not.
i prefer to let others-- trusted sources-- define me.
my own ego driven behavior (laugh at me will you) or hyper self critical nature ---can do alota damage.

Old 02-06-2010, 04:50 PM

3,337 posts, read 7,117,533 times
If people want to mistake self confidence/high self-esteem for arrogance, that's their problem not mine. What...I, and others like me are supposed to downplay our esteem to please others so they won't think we're big-headed? You got me tore up from the floor up. I know what I'm good at and I'm not afraid to let it be known, within reason of course. Also I'm the first to admit I don't know everything.

Old 02-06-2010, 05:02 PM

3,301 posts, read 11,712,491 times
There's a difference between self-confidence and arrogance. It can be a fine line, but I think it usually has to do with judging others as being "below" you. Sometimes it's an outright statement, sometimes it's just a condescending tone, but it's easy to spot.

Actually, I feel like a lot of arrogant people I've met usually have low self-esteem. They're far too concerned with what someone else thinks of them rather than just being happy with themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships