Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2010, 01:28 PM

4 posts, read 24,006 times

Advertisements

Okay so basically I really am not good in relationships, at least not with girls my age I really cannot relate to them. I've never really been in a relationship with a girl where we just "clicked" so they always end up being over because of something stupid. I met this girl last summer though and she's basically the most awesome girl I have ever met, we have so many similar interests and we're really into each other. I think she loves me and I know I love her, but she said things would never work out because I'm too young. I had to agree with her because 19 years is a huge difference. I love spending time with her though. She's really worried because no guys her age love her and the one long term relationship she was in she was cheated on. She also is really concerned with her age all the time too. Oh yeah by the way I'm 20 and she's 39. I don't know if it will ever go anywhere because she cares about me too much and is bothered by her old age. Please let me know what you guys think about it, am I just insane for loving her or what?
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2010, 01:34 PM

5,143 posts, read 5,408,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt21 View Post
Okay so basically I really am not good in relationships, at least not with girls my age I really cannot relate to them. I've never really been in a relationship with a girl where we just "clicked" so they always end up being over because of something stupid. I met this girl last summer though and she's basically the most awesome girl I have ever met, we have so many similar interests and we're really into each other. I think she loves me and I know I love her, but she said things would never work out because I'm too young. I had to agree with her because 19 years is a huge difference. I love spending time with her though. She's really worried because no guys her age love her and the one long term relationship she was in she was cheated on. She also is really concerned with her age all the time too. Oh yeah by the way I'm 20 and she's 39. I don't know if it will ever go anywhere because she cares about me too much and is bothered by her old age. Please let me know what you guys think about it, am I just insane for loving her or what?
Do you want to get beaten up?

Old 02-11-2010, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSizzle225 View Post
Do you want to get beaten up?
Sorry I didn't mean to offend anyone, what I mean is she thinks she is old and constantly calls herself old. I'm not meaning to imply 39 is old. Sorry about the misunderstanding

Old 02-11-2010, 01:37 PM

3,993 posts, read 8,928,806 times
Firstly, don't let anyone tell you the age difference will be a problem.

When I was 38, I was dating a 20 year old.

It wasn't the age difference which broke us up.
It didn't interfere at all.
It may cause slight problems, because you may have a different worldview, and different cultures, but really, it will only be a major problem if you let it.

Your biggest problem might be if you suddenly want kids, and she's too old to have them, but there are ways around that.

Secondly.
Why the hell shouldn't you ??

Old 02-11-2010, 01:43 PM

557 posts, read 1,353,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt21 View Post
This is why it will/would never work. You are still in your teenage phase, while she is middle aged. She is not a girl, but a woman. But to her, you are just a boy, not a man.

You are probably just lonely. Do you have a good role model in your life as far as your mother goes? If so, then it's infatuation, not love. If you do not, then it's probably a subconscious way of seeking a motherly figure. Much like young women who do not have a father in their lives often tend to be attracted to much older men.

Old 02-11-2010, 01:47 PM

7,372 posts, read 14,682,794 times
Do what makes you happy. F everyone else

Old 02-11-2010, 02:04 PM

5,722 posts, read 5,802,199 times
I wouldn't worry about it when a 20 year old guy dates a 39 year old woman it's considered "cute" but when it's vice versa the older guy is considered "creepy" or a "pervert" . I say go for it noone says just because you date you have to marry her and have babies!!! Women in their late 30's are generally more down to earth than the fickle 20 year old girls you're used to talking to that think the guy with the sports car is cool. Like the guy above me said...do what you want to do it's noone's business if you like her that's all that matters.

Old 02-11-2010, 02:24 PM

3,849 posts, read 9,425,681 times
Having an intense connection with someone will not trump other issues which will come around later on down the road. It simply isn't enough to build a solid relationship.

If you think just having a connection with someone will permanently mask other differences, you're dead wrong.

I'm not just talking about age differences, fyi.

Old 02-11-2010, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAtheBanker View Post
Having an intense connection with someone will not trump other issues which will come around later on down the road. It simply isn't enough to build a solid relationship.

If you think just having a connection with someone will permanently mask other differences, you're dead wrong.

I'm not just talking about age differences, fyi.
Then could you give an example please?

Old 02-11-2010, 02:33 PM

622 posts, read 1,280,282 times
I think you should do what makes you happy. However to be honest I think the odds are stacked against you. Even in my case the age difference is a small issue and its only 8.5 years. Im 32 and she is 40.

Its not a big issue of a big promblem. But she is sensitive to it some. I look young for my age. And she worries about me leaving her for a younger woman. So I can imagine that 19 years would be a major issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships