Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2010, 10:57 AM

5,143 posts, read 5,406,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest that I'd rule out "Nice rack!" unless you're referring to the bicycle rack on her car. On second thought I don't even think I'd even say it then because she might think you were referring to something else.
If a compliment comes across like a pickup line from a drunk in a bar it's going to fall flat on it's face. I would also recommend not drooling when you say it and try not to have shifty expression on your face.
As others have said it must be genuine and not sound like you're coming on too strong. I also think that it would be a mistake to feel like you need to look for something to compliment her on. It should be something that happens naturally or it's going to sound phony.

Note to self: I give such good advice, I need to ponder why I'm still single!
I'd date you if I were a chick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2010, 10:59 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,628,555 times
Sincere. Funny. Sweet. Trying too hard is a no-no as are comments about breasts or bum... A woman usually knows whether it's just a line or you mean it.

I actually think some men are more endearing because they are unable to flirt. It lends them a certain charm. I loathe men who are lecherous, that is such a turn off. A woman wants to be wooed not assaulted with bad pick up lines...

Old 02-19-2010, 10:59 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,162,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSizzle225 View Post
If a guy were going to ask you out, which types of compliments do you like the best? Cute? Nice rack? Sweet? Funny? Interesting? Genuine? Lots in common?
Please tell me you're kidding!

I prefer compliments on something more specific as far as appearance goes (other than the example above!) – say smile, eyes, dimple, etc. The personality compliments sound fine to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
Nice Rack and Back seems to work. Try it.
It does...?!

Old 02-19-2010, 11:02 AM

740 posts, read 1,233,255 times
I like tailor made compliments, like most women said. Everyone and their dog like my hair and eyes. The compliments that get me are anything that show that you know something about me. My ex-husband said, "I love your hands, they look so capable, and you are so capable at everything". This works if you know someone (we knew each other for a year before dating)

Someone you don't know, in say a bar setting, is different. Pick something non obvious. Like if she has great hair, say she has a friendly smile. She has heard about her hair 10,000x, smile maybe less so

Old 02-19-2010, 11:08 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,485,841 times
Tell her that your heart rate seems to increase everytime she's near you!

Old 02-19-2010, 11:10 AM

5,143 posts, read 5,406,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Please tell me you're kidding!

I prefer compliments on something more specific as far as appearance goes (other than the example above!) – say smile, eyes, dimple, etc. The personality compliments sound fine to me.

It does...?!
Of course I'm serious. I'm hopelessly single and tactless...I need advice, woman.

Now I think you guys should tell me some tailor made, sincere, genuine compliments to tell the ladies.

Old 02-19-2010, 11:18 AM

7,915 posts, read 18,624,668 times
typhoidmary wrote:
Quote:
"I love your hands, they look so capable, and you are so capable at everything"
That one strikes me as a little bit peculiar. It sounds like he's saying you'd be a good mechanic, carpenter, or maybe working in a machine shop. I guess I would have to have been there to appreciate it.

Old 02-19-2010, 11:20 AM

6,777 posts, read 13,553,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
typhoidmary wrote:

That one strikes me as a little bit peculiar. It sounds like he's saying you'd be a good mechanic, carpenter, or maybe working in a machine shop. I guess I would have to have been there to appreciate it.
Yeah...I'm gonna be honest, that one would probably **** me off.

Old 02-19-2010, 11:22 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,485,841 times
" I love your arm pit braids!"

Old 02-19-2010, 11:23 AM

740 posts, read 1,233,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSizzle225 View Post
Of course I'm serious. I'm hopelessly single and tactless...I need advice, woman.

Now I think you guys should tell me some tailor made, sincere, genuine compliments to tell the ladies.
Telling a woman she is smart is a good thing. But this has to be after you get to know her, because from across a bar how the f*** would you know

In my experience, the most successful guys talking to women they did not know already were the ones that started out asking for advice (e.g. "Hey, you have _____ phone/mp3 player/e-book reader/running shoe et al, do you like it? I've been thinking of getting one"). After the ins and outs are detailed, then a "Thanks! You really know a lot about X/Y/Z. That is so cool" and then go to discussion of other stuff she knows

Women get a bunch of compliments on looks, less on what we know, so the ones appreciating knowledge are memorable. Now you meet a girl with no knowledge, it is up to you to decide to compliment her
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships