Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2010, 07:35 PM

2,163 posts, read 4,344,430 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
I had an interesting experience this weekend at eHarmony. A new match initiated communication. I got the email Friday, but I really didn't have a chance to take the time to read his profile completely and respond. I went back to do that today and discovered he closed the match, citing the reason as I never responded to his communication. Sheesh!

No biggy, but I had mixed emotions. I didn't want him to think that I intentionally ignored him BUT I was also a bit miffed that he demanded an immediate response and reacted so definitively when he didn't get one. Is this sort of thing typical, as in if you don't respond immediately they think you're not interested? Or should I be glad that he closed the match because he might be a really demanding sort of person?

I'm getting to know a few other matches and have been communicating with one in particular for three weeks. If it develops into a relationship, obviously I'll put my profile on hold or cancel the membership but, until then, I'm open to reviewing other matches. Is that problematic?
On POF, a guy sent me two e-mails on a Friday night. I was out that night and didn't get home until 11pm. The first was sent around 8pm and was a pleasant enough e-mail stating his interest and he hoped to hear from me. About two hours later he sent a second e-mail going on this crazed rant about how he knew online dating was a waste of time, and that women never write back, and that I think I'm so great that I can be rude to people It went on and on and on. What a nutcase
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2010, 07:49 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,230,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropical Trouble View Post
On POF, a guy sent me two e-mails on a Friday night. I was out that night and didn't get home until 11pm. The first was sent around 8pm and was a pleasant enough e-mail stating his interest and he hoped to hear from me. About two hours later he sent a second e-mail going on this crazed rant about how he knew online dating was a waste of time, and that women never write back, and that I think I'm so great that I can be rude to people It went on and on and on. What a nutcase
2 HOURS?! WTH is wrong with people?!

Old 03-22-2010, 07:54 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,027,868 times
Quote:
OMG!!!! Wow, what a psycho! Good thing his true colors came out so quickly -- and before you could even consider writing back to him! That is one angry, scary individual!

Old 03-22-2010, 08:04 PM

2,163 posts, read 4,344,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
2 HOURS?! WTH is wrong with people?!
Quote:
OMG!!!! Wow, what a psycho! Good thing his true colors came out so quickly -- and before you could even consider writing back to him! That is one angry, scary individual!
Yup! I didn't even hesitate to block him.

Another guy e-mailed me about four times on OK Cupid. I didn't respond to any of them because he just seemed really strange based on his profile. After the fourth e-mail, I blocked him as well.

I've blocked more guys than I've answered.

Old 03-22-2010, 08:10 PM

3,576 posts, read 10,666,358 times
Hey Himain, hope your move from Charlotte back to Miami is going well.

I'm going to be a match.com novice for a while. I need to finish up my profile, and then schedule a session with a good photographer for some photos (I've got absolutely nothing of me). I know that you need to somehow "market" yourself, but I really don't want to be stretching the truth too much. I hope that doesn't kill my chances, but if it does, I'll just look into other options.

My concern is that I'm basically really boring. After 20 years of marriage, being a spousal caregiver, and now trying to come out of complete financial ruin, I haven't been anywhere or really done anything of note.

Old 03-22-2010, 08:13 PM

6,776 posts, read 13,564,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by superk View Post
Hey Himain, hope your move from Charlotte back to Miami is going well.

I'm going to be a match.com novice for a while. I need to finish up my profile, and then schedule a session with a good photographer for some photos (I've got absolutely nothing of me). I know that you need to somehow "market" yourself, but I really don't want to be stretching the truth too much. I hope that doesn't kill my chances, but if it does, I'll just look into other options.

My concern is that I'm basically really boring. After 20 years of marriage, being a spousal caregiver, and now trying to come out of complete financial ruin, I haven't been anywhere or really done anything of note.
Wait a minute...I know this is totally OT, but I thought you were only getting divorced so your wife could get insurance? Now you're putting up a profile on Match.com???

Old 03-22-2010, 09:44 PM

37,661 posts, read 46,099,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpacker View Post
I am a newb.

I just find the whole hiding profiling thing interesting. Hard to date when someone can't find you.

If you view their profile or add them to your favorite, it will show up even if they have a hidden profile (and you don't)?
Yep. It will stay there, but you won't be able to view them. If they actually delete their profile however, you will be able to tell that. In your favorites you see a blank box, with some little note that the profile no longer exists.

Some people prefer to do the looking rather than being "looked for". Nothing wrong with that. That's why there are all these options on the site...everyone has their own preferences.

Old 03-22-2010, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Thanks, CESpeed. I'm just unsure about the online dating "protocol." As for the other issue, I get new matches every day -- a lot of times it's 8-10 in a day. It's hard to keep up with it. I'd think the guy who was upset that I didn't respond right away would understand that, unless he's new at this, too, or doesn't receive many matches.
I've not used eHarmony myself, but that does sound odd for someone to shut a door that quickly. Probably not someone you need to worry about.

Old 03-22-2010, 09:49 PM

Quote:
You know I had a few nutcases on POF as well. But I also met two great guys there....so just throw the rotten ones back and fish for someone else.

Old 03-22-2010, 11:05 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,698,861 times
Quote:
I am starting to believe there are a lot of mental people out there. Not a few, but a lot.

Nutcase probably doesn't even start to describe that clown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships