Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2010, 07:48 AM

7,915 posts, read 18,626,210 times

Advertisements

ChessieMom wrote:
Quote:
Something you both are missing is that there are many professional people online, that deal with the public. And they simply don't want their clients or business acquaintances finding them on a dating site.
I think I understand what you're getting at but at the same time it also seems to suggest that there's something to be ashamed about if you're using online dating sites and that there is some sort of stigma attached to it. My point is that there shouldn't be anything to be embarrassed about in any way and if their clients or business acquaintances happen to see them there then they must be using them too so what's the problem with that?
I know that a professional wouldn't feel awkward if a client happened to see them at a restaurant or movie theater on a date so why should this be any different?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2010, 09:39 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,435,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophialee View Post
Wait a minute...I know this is totally OT, but I thought you were only getting divorced so your wife could get insurance? Now you're putting up a profile on Match.com???
Please cut him some slack, sophia. If you've read his story over the past year or more, you know how hard he's had it. Yes, his wife has had it hard too but he's healthy and has emotional and physical needs.

Old 03-25-2010, 09:52 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,011,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
ChessieMom wrote:

I think I understand what you're getting at but at the same time it also seems to suggest that there's something to be ashamed about if you're using online dating sites and that there is some sort of stigma attached to it. My point is that there shouldn't be anything to be embarrassed about in any way and if their clients or business acquaintances happen to see them there then they must be using them too so what's the problem with that?
I know that a professional wouldn't feel awkward if a client happened to see them at a restaurant or movie theater on a date so why should this be any different?
It's not so much "embarrassment" -- it's that problems can occur in business. As one professional put it to me (in explaining why he didn't post pics), "it would be awfully awkward to meet potential clients and have them ask why I didn't respond to their winks or contacts at a dating site." No pics -- no problem.

Old 03-25-2010, 10:00 PM

37,617 posts, read 46,006,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpacker View Post
It's fun and interesting. Just got to be patient and realistic.

Thanks for the tips. Do you find that guys still have to "Chase" or does internet dating make women more likely to wink (you kind of have to if you have if your private)? How often do you look at the "who's viewed you" profile? Also, if you add something to your favorites, even if you clean them out later, do they know?

"Chasing" is still, and always has been, done by both genders. I have both received and given winks...but frankly, winks are not given too much notice by a lot of folks. A well-written email, is the best way to go.

I used to look at my viewed list every time I logged on. Why on earth wouldn;t you? And yes...if you add someone to your favorites, they see that they have been made a favorite...of you. And if you remove them, then that is visible too. Funny, but one of the nicest guys I dated, only got my attention because I had added him to my favorites....but never heard anything from him (I thought maybe he'd take the hint) and so I deleted him. The very next day he emailed me asking what he did to get that kind of treatment. We dated for a few months. Nice guy...but he was still in love with his ex.

Old 03-25-2010, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
ChessieMom wrote:

No, it doesn't. It suggests that some professional people prefer to keep their dating/personal lives private. I think you are making incorrect assumptions here. Having a public profile is far more "information on display" than simply being seen in a restaurant with someone. Don't get me wrong...I have done the online thing for years, with my profile public, and I am very comfortable with it. But I have no problems with those that prefer to keep them private.

Old 03-25-2010, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
It's not so much "embarrassment" -- it's that problems can occur in business. As one professional put it to me (in explaining why he didn't post pics), "it would be awfully awkward to meet potential clients and have them ask why I didn't respond to their winks or contacts at a dating site." No pics -- no problem.
Yup.

Old 03-25-2010, 10:10 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,170,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
No, it doesn't. It suggests that some professional people prefer to keep their dating/personal lives private. I think you are making incorrect assumptions here. Having a public profile is far more "information on display" than simply being seen in a restaurant with someone. Don't get me wrong...I have done the online thing for years, with my profile public, and I am very comfortable with it. But I have no problems with those that prefer to keep them private.
I can definitely relate to this. That's why I don't think profiles without pictures are necessarily worthless.

Old 03-26-2010, 10:03 AM

22,339 posts, read 29,439,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasfirewheel View Post
Please cut him some slack, sophia. If you've read his story over the past year or more, you know how hard he's had it. Yes, his wife has had it hard too but he's healthy and has emotional and physical needs.

Yes 100%%% I've known his story for a while as we both lived in Charlotte, NC so I know what he's been through. He's really had it rough and is a good guy!!! I hope he finds whatever he is looking for, seriously!

Old 03-26-2010, 10:09 AM

1,196 posts, read 1,805,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
"Chasing" is still, and always has been, done by both genders. I have both received and given winks...but frankly, winks are not given too much notice by a lot of folks. A well-written email, is the best way to go.

I used to look at my viewed list every time I logged on. Why on earth wouldn;t you? And yes...if you add someone to your favorites, they see that they have been made a favorite...of you. And if you remove them, then that is visible too. Funny, but one of the nicest guys I dated, only got my attention because I had added him to my favorites....but never heard anything from him (I thought maybe he'd take the hint) and so I deleted him. The very next day he emailed me asking what he did to get that kind of treatment. We dated for a few months. Nice guy...but he was still in love with his ex.
Interesting. If your profile is private, can they still see your profile (if you add them to favorites)?

Any tips for the first e-mail?

Old 03-26-2010, 10:18 AM

6,777 posts, read 13,554,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
Yes 100%%% I've known his story for a while as we both lived in Charlotte, NC so I know what he's been through. He's really had it rough and is a good guy!!! I hope he finds whatever he is looking for, seriously!
I live in Charlotte. I know about his wife. I just thought he was getting divorced so he could get her insurance. That's all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships