Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 11:22 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times

Advertisements

That was so touching and beautiful. Heh, I'm all teary now. :sniff:

I'm sure that they have their private moments of difficulty, but I love that Ebert seems to be happy and even still humorous. I love that neither of them seems to feel self-pity or resentment.

This is wonderful. This is everything I believe about marriage. We should all be so lucky.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2010, 11:58 AM

7,364 posts, read 14,675,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMoon View Post
Good point. He did struggle with drugs, womanizing etc. But he doesn't strike me as a particularly nice person either. Rather politically entrenched and entitled despite his relative success as a painter. Still, not a way to end one's life with a harradin at your throat. But he chose unwisely.
Well... I wouldn't be too quick to call his wife a name like that. You don't know what has gone on between the two of them, nor do I. Filing for divorce right after you've been told you have a month to live is rather unusual... Let's not speculate the reasoning as I can easily see it being because she's a shrew, or because of he's a foul husband, or possibly even his own greedy kids manipulating a dying man to ensure they get their cut.

I think its best to not pass judgment, and do our best to ensure we aren't in the same situation.

Old 03-06-2010, 06:10 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,532,193 times
The Eberts are a beautiful example of a truly loving and committed married couple.

(and please forgive me but I must say it....)

(Many) Black women are very loyal and dedicated wives and this woman is just one example of the depth of love that we have for our husbands and families.

Old 06-04-2010, 08:45 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
The last clip, where he says, "This is the way I look, and my life is happy and productive," chokes me up. And the way they look at one another with kindness and affection. The two of them are an inspiration.

Old 06-04-2010, 10:51 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,628,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onglet39 View Post
I just watched those clips again, and mostly watched him, his eyes. They still light up as though there were nothing wrong with him. How the hell did he do it, make that level of peace with himself and his condition? He shows no signs of feeling sorry for himself. How? I don't think I could do it.
You have your good days, and you certainly have your bad days. I have a life threatening genetic disorder and I definitely go through periods of denial and self pity, but they become fewer and fewer, especially when you have people around you that love you, as his wife obviously does.

My hubby loves me unconditionally, scars, missing organs and all and that is the helpful thing of all.

Old 06-04-2010, 12:41 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onglet39 View Post
There's just no way around it, we all should be so lucky to have someone at our side like this... in sickness and in health.

Gaining A New Voice: Roger Ebert On Oprah - Roger Ebert Oprah - Jezebel

This is what true love looks like

I wish the women haters posting recently would read about Roger's devoted wife and learn something.

Old 06-04-2010, 01:32 PM

3,085 posts, read 5,239,673 times
Even a cynic like myself couldn't help but be moved by this. I've always been a fan of Mr. Ebert. How fitting that this beautiful marriage would pretty much amount to life imitating art; i.e., unwavering commitment, lasting devotion in the face of adversity...just like in the movies.

Whatever misfortune could be had by his degraded physical condition is quickly counterbalanced by the emotional and spiritual good fortune found in the love and care of such a special woman. If true love exists, this is it.

Old 06-04-2010, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
You have your good days, and you certainly have your bad days. I have a life threatening genetic disorder and I definitely go through periods of denial and self pity, but they become fewer and fewer, especially when you have people around you that love you, as his wife obviously does.

My hubby loves me unconditionally, scars, missing organs and all and that is the helpful thing of all.
congratulations, I envy you for having someone so special and loving in your life.

Old 06-04-2010, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
This is what true love looks like

I wish the women haters posting recently would read about Roger's devoted wife and learn something.
They will not do so because she is everything those guys ridicule on this forum when it comes to selecting a mate: she's fat, middle aged, and black, three types a man with financial means is supposed to avoid. To express admiration for Ebert's wife would essentially be admitting they are all WRONG about the qualities which make a woman a great partner. That's why they ignore this type of story.

Old 06-07-2010, 06:35 PM

367 posts, read 415,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by typhoidmary View Post
It restores my faith in humanity to see such couples.

Professorsenator told me about another couple that is inspiring: Sandra Day O'Connor and her husband Husband of Sandra Day O’Connor finds love at Alzheimer’s facility. : Blisstree - Family, Health, Home and Lifestyles
When my eyes quickly gazed over the title, I thought the article was about Sandra Bullock and her husband, LOL!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships