Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Pick One That's The "Minimum" for You
Don't care at all 7 9.59%
20-40k 7 9.59%
40-60k 19 26.03%
60-80k 13 17.81%
80-100k 7 9.59%
100-120k 6 8.22%
120-140k 1 1.37%
140-160k 1 1.37%
160-200k 2 2.74%
200k+ 10 13.70%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2010, 11:04 AM

9,846 posts, read 22,720,726 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Sixteen thousand dollars a week, by God, or you're sleeping in the guest room!
Or 32 thousand.

It's all about the money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2010, 02:24 PM

3,440 posts, read 8,051,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
But looking at it from a different perspective sometimes it is those very struggles and obstacles that make a relationship strong. And working together to obtain your home that creates a bond.

Marriages among the rich and famous are often less stable than those that have financial hardships.
I agree, but this life did not come my way because I have always been a loner and independent. Conversely, I have friends who were just of opposite of me and they met women who they stayed with through thick and thin.

I think is great if a couple can stick together from the early years, but it doesn't happen to everyone for whatever reason.

Old 03-12-2010, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
LOL C'mon, Julia. Don't ruin his internet hyperbole moment in the sun.
But Braunwyn, there is some truth to all this because I have seen it happen myself with one of my friends.

If anything, men today mistakenlydemonize the protective nature of a woman who only want to secure a standard of living for herself and her children. And on the other hand, women today just don't know how to speak to a man to get what she wants without coming across as barking orders; or even better, becoming proactive and doing something about it herself such as starting a business on the side.

Old 03-12-2010, 02:52 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,411,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
But looking at it from a different perspective sometimes it is those very struggles and obstacles that make a relationship strong. And working together to obtain your home that creates a bond.

Marriages among the rich and famous are often less stable than those that have financial hardships.
It can go either way. Couples with bad financial struggles suffer a lot in their relationship. It puts a big strain and stress.

The key is to have just enough to appreciate it and live comfortably.

Old 03-12-2010, 03:06 PM

740 posts, read 1,235,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
It can go either way. Couples with bad financial struggles suffer a lot in their relationship. It puts a big strain and stress.

The key is to have just enough to appreciate it and live comfortably.
And folks need to get a rational definition of the necessities for a comfortable life

Old 03-12-2010, 03:16 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,411,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by typhoidmary View Post
And folks need to get a rational definition of the necessities for a comfortable life
^^^^Yeah that.

And at least one person in the relationship should be good at managing money.
I have to say, I've made money most of my life, but if it wasn't for my SO, we would probably go broke. He knows how to manage money without being to tight with it.

Old 03-12-2010, 03:25 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,239,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morphous01 View Post
But Braunwyn, there is some truth to all this because I have seen it happen myself with one of my friends.
I saw a post of yours some pages back and couldn't tell if you were being sarcastic. A man and woman have a baby. She works less because she now has another F/T job (the baby) and he has to earn more because she's earning less and that's somehow a problem. If/when I have a child (god willing), I don't plan on leaving my job, but if it turns out that I must be the one to be the primary care taker of said child, I'd fall over if my husband complained of having to do whatever needed to be done for his family. He wouldn't complain; wouldn't question it. He'd work 2, 3, whatever jobs to finacially support his family with a young child in the home. I have no doubt about that.

Any way, the asserted demand of several thousand dollars/wk is silly. The reality is that most Americans have a combinded income of ~50k. That's two people doing that. That reality doesn't speak to 8k a week by any stretch.

Quote:
If anything, men today mistakenlydemonize the protective nature of a woman who only want to secure a standard of living for herself and her children. And on the other hand, women today just don't know how to speak to a man to get what she wants without coming across as barking orders; or even better, becoming proactive and doing something about it herself such as starting a business on the side.
I'm a woman of today, morph. I'm quite average and in no way an outlier. I bring a lot to the table in my marriage and so do my friends. I'm of the mind that do-nothings, regardless of gender, are the outliers. Most people are good. Most people do their best.

Old 03-12-2010, 04:00 PM

Quote:
I saw a post of yours some pages back and couldn't tell if you were being sarcastic. A man and woman have a baby. She works less because she now has another F/T job (the baby) and he has to earn more because she's earning less and that's somehow a problem. If/when I have a child (god willing), I don't plan on leaving my job, but if it turns out that I must be the one to be the primary care taker of said child, I'd fall over if my husband complained of having to do whatever needed to be done for his family. He wouldn't complain; wouldn't question it. He'd work 2, 3, whatever jobs to finacially support his family with a young child in the home. I have no doubt about that.

Any way, the asserted demand of several thousand dollars/wk is silly. The reality is that most Americans have a combinded income of ~50k. That's two people doing that. That reality doesn't speak to 8k a week by any stretch.

I'm a woman of today, morph. I'm quite average and in no way an outlier. I bring a lot to the table in my marriage and so do my friends. I'm of the mind that do-nothings, regardless of gender, are the outliers. Most people are good. Most people do their best.
Yes Braunwyn, I hear you, and I agree 100%. Good points about wanting to do less work in return for spending more time with the baby. That slipped my mind; you're right Braunwyn.

Old 03-12-2010, 04:07 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,720,726 times
Quote:

That's fine if that is the reality with all this mutually shared workload and all that. I for one was glad my mom stayed home to run the house and keep us kids straight. But we didn't have the bling and vacations and all that however. And that was the tradeoff. My dad probably didn't make excess money until his forties, but I always felt we had enough to have a decent life.

What I am seeing today however is an expectation of young people to immediately assume the lifestyle that their parents have or like my sister who is a YUPPIE, expect to continue living a hollywood lifestyle AND have children.

So where is the line between living and income? How much is enough? I think for some people today it never is enough and if you don't believe that is true, then why are we in another huge recession/depression caused by buying with debt many things beyond our means??

When I was in my 20's for years I worked 80-100 hours a week. Didn't do much except hurt my health which caused some extra bills and wreaked havoc with the rest of my life. Wasn't worth it and didn't gain in the end and definitely cost me.

So sorry, I'm not working 3 jobs again and all that. If so then the lifestyle has to change and it's bare bones living for a while. No point in me having a child and then never seeing it. That's too stupid for me.

Old 03-12-2010, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by typhoidmary View Post
Yea I agree myself and I think this is a MAJOR issue as to why people fight over money all the time. For example people today think "necessities" are:

BIG HOME
"Luxury" condo/apartment
Cable
Internet
Designer Clothes
New cars
Rims/stereos
Fancy vacations
Eating out (not that kind) EVERY day of every week
Designer accessories like Chanel sunglasses
Expensive sporting game tickets
New expensive gadgetry
Heck just buying things "NEW"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships