Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Pick One That's The "Minimum" for You
Don't care at all 7 9.59%
20-40k 7 9.59%
40-60k 19 26.03%
60-80k 13 17.81%
80-100k 7 9.59%
100-120k 6 8.22%
120-140k 1 1.37%
140-160k 1 1.37%
160-200k 2 2.74%
200k+ 10 13.70%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2010, 04:15 PM

3,440 posts, read 8,048,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
. But we didn't have the bling and vacations and all that however. And that was the tradeoff. My dad probably didn't make excess money until his forties, but I always felt we had enough to have a decent life.

What I am seeing today however is an expectation of young people to immediately assume the lifestyle that their parents have or like my sister who is a YUPPIE, expect to continue living a hollywood lifestyle AND have children
Yup, and that is my point as well. Young people see couples like Reggie Buch and Kim kardashian, or people like the OC house wives and they want to live like that. That is the standard today. Poor guys get dragged along even if they don't want anything to do with it just to keep the ole lady happy.

As they say in sales, entice the women and children and the mans wallet will follow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2010, 04:56 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,224,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
What I am seeing today however is an expectation of young people to immediately assume the lifestyle that their parents have or like my sister who is a YUPPIE, expect to continue living a hollywood lifestyle AND have children.

So where is the line between living and income? How much is enough? I think for some people today it never is enough and if you don't believe that is true, then why are we in another huge recession/depression caused by buying with debt many things beyond our means??
This is a good point and speaks to reality. Folk may want a lot of things and attempt to obtain them, but it simply does not work out in the end. They can only go so far. Frankly, I don't know how many got as far as they did.

Quote:
When I was in my 20's for years I worked 80-100 hours a week. Didn't do much except hurt my health which caused some extra bills and wreaked havoc with the rest of my life. Wasn't worth it and didn't gain in the end and definitely cost me.

So sorry, I'm not working 3 jobs again and all that. If so then the lifestyle has to change and it's bare bones living for a while. No point in me having a child and then never seeing it. That's too stupid for me.
Yea, there has to be a balance. I have no interest working 80 hours a week either. And I don't need fancy vacations. I have a very nice (huge) tent and the white mountains are just 3 hours away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morphous01 View Post
Yea I agree myself and I think this is a MAJOR issue as to why people fight over money all the time. For example people today think "necessities" are:

BIG HOME
"Luxury" condo/apartment
Cable
Internet
Designer Clothes
New cars
Rims/stereos
Fancy vacations
Eating out (not that kind) EVERY day of every week
Designer accessories like Chanel sunglasses
Expensive sporting game tickets
New expensive gadgetry
Heck just buying things "NEW"
Some of these things are a problem in our house (cable/internet). There's no wiggle room when I suggest at least killing the TV. He's a news/sci fi junky.

Old 03-12-2010, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
Some of these things are a problem in our house (cable/internet). There's no wiggle room when I suggest at least killing the TV. He's a news/sci fi junky.

LOL! Well we are all bombarded by WIFI in the air so you can build (or buy) an antenna that can pick up the waves from miles away for FREE (some citys have free wifi available to the public). Pick up a WIFI signal for free then you can watch all the stuff that comes on cable for free (internet TV); and some. To be honest, I feel much safer browsing the net this way, who knows what data "they" are collecting.

YouTube - Wiffy Extreme - WiFi Antenna

Old 03-12-2010, 05:23 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,403,419 times
I agree that buying a house is an excellent investment, but I shutter thinking that for us it would mean watching every penny, not enjoying life and being under consistent stress of not making a mortgage. Seeing your bank account shrinking of front of our eyes is not pleasant.
One thing if both people are making solid good money without the fear of losing their jobs and having a good nest they are sitting on for (dark times). Then of it's a great idea to buy a house, but to put myself through years and years of stress for a piece of property is not worth it to me.

Last edited by max's mama; 03-12-2010 at 06:40 PM.. Reason: terrible spelling day!!!

Old 03-12-2010, 05:27 PM

29,764 posts, read 34,486,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
I agree that buying a house is an excellent investment, but I shutter thinking that for us it would mean watching every penny, not enjoying life and being under consistent stress of not making a mortgage. Seeing your bank account shrinking of front of our eyes is not pleasant.
One thing if both people are making solid good money without the fear of losing their jobs and having a good nest they are sitting on for (dark times). Then of it's a great idea to buy a house, but to put myself through years and years of stress for a peace of property is not worth it to me.
That's why I'm glad I live in an area where home ownership isn't out of the question. My mortgage payment each month is less than I ever paid in rent. Though the money I "save" goes directly into maintenance/savings.

Last edited by fleetiebelle; 03-12-2010 at 05:41 PM..

Old 03-12-2010, 05:30 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,403,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
That's why I'm glad I live in an area where home ownership isn't out of the question. My mortgage payment each month is less than I ever paid in rent.
I have to say that South Florida is also a lot more forgiving than NYC, but even here, it's rental's paradise. I'm not excluding the possibility of buying a home eventually, but I am just too comfortable not having this kind of stress on me. Boiler breaks - not my problem.

Last edited by max's mama; 03-12-2010 at 06:36 PM..

Old 03-12-2010, 05:30 PM

Quote:
LOL! Well we are all bombarded by WIFI in the air so you can build (or buy) an antenna that can pick up the waves from miles away for FREE (some citys have free wifi available to the public). Pick up a WIFI signal for free then you can watch all the stuff that comes on cable for free (internet TV); and some. To be honest, I feel much safer browsing the net this way, who knows what data "they" are collecting.
Even tho I have cable and a TV in my room (office/whatever it is), I don't watch the TV. I'll have it on streaming the golden girls lol. I know, don't ask. I watch hulu for temp vacations. Hulu has so much cr*p on it, I don't know why we pay for TV. And I don't know how people keep up with the schedules on the tube, especially those of us that do the forum thing. If we're involved in whatever debate, who keeps up with the time? Even tho I look for Lost in the search menu, I usually miss it and catch it online.

Old 03-12-2010, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
I don't watch the TV. I'll have it on streaming the golden girls lol..
OMG!! I use to watch the GG with my grandma in the late 80's!! It then grew on me and use to watch the show myself! I had a crush on young Vivian Harmon. She was so classy and upscale.

Da$, now you made me think of me and my grandma back in the 80's when life was a breeze

Old 03-12-2010, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
One thing if both people are making solid good money without the fear of losing their jobs and having a good nest they are sitting on for (dark times). Then of it's a great idea to buy a house, but to put myself through years and years of stress for a peace of property is not worth it to me.
This is a good point. I'm a new home owner and it's...how do I say...there's so much involved. It's a time suck to start. It's way more expensive than renting. Frankly, I'm not really buying into the investment/return argument. Problem with the plumbing? My problem $$. 5 trillion leaves falling on the ground every fall? My problem - back breaking work. Property taxes, insurance, general upkeep? wow! I didn't know how much free time I had when I was a renter.

OTOH, I spent Sunday raking the leaves we didn't bother with last fall (we have a 0.6 acre forest lol) and I really enjoyed myself. I look forward to landscaping and creating some green art. I have the sense of home I did when I was 10. So, that's pretty cool. But, for those that like to travel and seek adventure, etc, I wouldn't recommend it.

Old 03-12-2010, 05:39 PM

Quote:
OMG!! I use to watch the GG with my grandma in the late 80's!! It then grew on me and use to watch the show myself! I had a crush on young Vivian Harmon. She was so classy and upscale.

Da$, now you made me think of me and my grandma back in the 80's when life was a breeze
Awe, sorry Morph. But, you get the golden girls! See, I knew we were psychically linked. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships