Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Pick One That's The "Minimum" for You
Don't care at all 7 9.59%
20-40k 7 9.59%
40-60k 19 26.03%
60-80k 13 17.81%
80-100k 7 9.59%
100-120k 6 8.22%
120-140k 1 1.37%
140-160k 1 1.37%
160-200k 2 2.74%
200k+ 10 13.70%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 11:43 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,521,826 times

Advertisements

I think it depends on the currency...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2010, 01:31 AM

3,440 posts, read 8,053,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swmrbird View Post

Yes, how you manage it matters, but I don't think anyone wants to live paycheck to paycheck.
But MOST Americans do. Americans don't save anything, in fact Americans are in the negative with all the debt.

Old 03-11-2010, 01:35 AM

9,904 posts, read 13,925,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
It's not how much he makes, rather how he manages it.
Ah thank you Thursday!

I was just coming in to say that very same thing, now I don't have to!

Old 03-11-2010, 01:43 AM

3,440 posts, read 8,053,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumpman023 View Post
Title...pick the minimum acceptable level. Women say they like guys with a "good job" or "comfortable salary", so what constitutes that?

Also, this is just for fun, so don't get mad and assume I'm just doing this to try and prove that women are shallow or something (srs).
I just want to say, figuring out how much a person makes alone is not enough, because, in edition to how they manage the money (as others said) you also need to look at how much debt they are in. So a person making 40k who has zero debt is better off then a person who makes 80k but is 100k plus submerged in debt. And to be honest, I don't see why people happly go into debt to buy even a home; but that's off topic.

Old 03-11-2010, 03:19 AM

7,453 posts, read 13,457,170 times
100K minimum I would have thought

Old 03-11-2010, 05:54 AM

37,771 posts, read 46,255,501 times
I've always thought that around 60K would be a good floor, for a man that I would be in a relationship with. And I kind of base that, of course, on what I myself am used to doing - fun-wise. But, now that college days (for my son) are around the corner, and the economy has sucked in its gut, I've changed my perspective a bit. I think what matters more is that someone be able to support himself, handle his own debt, and have a bit of fun here and there. That's really all I need. Anything extravagant that we want to do that he couldn't manage, I'm sure I'd be happy to take care of.

Old 03-11-2010, 06:23 AM

10,184 posts, read 20,833,271 times
I can't remember any of the women I've dated ever asking me what my salary was, at least not in the early stages. I don't think it's as much of an issue as a lot of guys think it is, so long as you can afford to take her out and have a good time and you don't live in a homeless shelter you should be able to do alright for yourself.

Now if you're using online dating sites you may run into this more often, but I don't think there's anything wrong with a woman wanting to know a guy's salary up front. If she's the type who wants someone with a six figure salary, why waste each others time if your salary is less than that? More and more men want a woman who is capable of taking care of herself also. Granted lot's of men will probably be more interested in her bra size or type of underwear she has on than her salary, but men who aren't desperate are being more selective as well.

Old 03-11-2010, 06:46 AM

3,261 posts, read 5,316,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
I can't remember any of the women I've dated ever asking me what my salary was, at least not in the early stages. I don't think it's as much of an issue as a lot of guys think it is, so long as you can afford to take her out and have a good time and you don't live in a homeless shelter you should be able to do alright for yourself.

Now if you're using online dating sites you may run into this more often, but I don't think there's anything wrong with a woman wanting to know a guy's salary up front. If she's the type who wants someone with a six figure salary, why waste each others time if your salary is less than that? More and more men want a woman who is capable of taking care of herself also. Granted lot's of men will probably be more interested in her bra size or type of underwear she has on than her salary, but men who aren't desperate are being more selective as well.
I agree but I also think that a salary is not just about how much money someone has, but a reflection of themselves and what they want in life.

Where I live (the suburbs of NYC) 20-40K and sometimes higher, is usually an entry level job for a college grad, so if I were in my 20's it would be fine.

If someone in their late 30's or higher is earning this kind of money in my neck of the woods, they are either in a dead-end job, have no ambition, are still trying to figure out what they want to do. They could not possibly be living comfortably, unless they are still living with their parents or don't have the same lifestyle that I do.

Old 03-11-2010, 07:00 AM

36,794 posts, read 31,094,405 times
I dont have a ridged acceptable minimum but I would like my partner to have a comparable earning potential to mine. I wouldn't expect someone to do better than I could but would expect them to pull their own weight.

I think the reason income is not as important to men is because they assume/expect that a women will make up the income discrepancy in domestic servitude.

Old 03-11-2010, 07:24 AM

44,413 posts, read 20,158,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave nz View Post
100K minimum I would have thought
OMG - To me, $100K is RICH! No way would I expect my man to make that kind of dinero. Not in my area, anyway, where the cost of living isn't too bad when compared to other parts of the country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morphous01 View Post
I just want to say, figuring out how much a person makes alone is not enough, because, in edition to how they manage the money (as others said) you also need to look at how much debt they are in. So a person making 40k who has zero debt is better off then a person who makes 80k but is 100k plus submerged in debt. And to be honest, I don't see why people happly go into debt to buy even a home; but that's off topic.
You are correct, Morph. There's a much bigger picture than just a person's income.

Also, it's important to me to support worthy charities. A sizeable portion of my gross income goes to my church and other non-profits. So my tangibles don't reflect my income. A fancy house filled with lots of expensive stuff is just not that important to me. I like a man who feels the same way. (That's not to say I don't appreciate a fine dinner in an upscale restaurant now and then! ha)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships