Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2010, 05:02 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,860,632 times

Advertisements

I think a lot of people can go either way...sometimes you feel like being the life of the party...sometimes you just want to stay at home lye in bed and read.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2010, 05:07 PM

4,164 posts, read 6,316,466 times
I've been somewhat of a drop-out and recluse for quite awhile now...by choice. I spend time with my husband and grown son ....And i see or talk to a few close friends once in awhile...Thank goodness I still have social skills so I do ok when I go out and I'm usually friendly and attentive and a decent conversationalist....I just enjoy living a quieter life away from the maddening crowds most of the time. And I'm a writer so I need a good amount of time alone....Labels like introvert versus extrovert don't matter that much to me or freak me out...When I need interaction I go out for a bit...or share on this forum or my forum or other forums to feel a part of things....Or I might call up a close friend and talk for a couple of hours to get my fix.

Old 03-14-2010, 08:21 PM

6,143 posts, read 7,556,449 times
I am an introvert. I like to go out and do things (sporting events and concerts, mostly) but I am not outgoing. I'm not comfortable around people I don't know, and it is very hard for me to strike up a conversation with a stranger. I have never liked the bar and club scene. I'd much rather do things one on one or in a small group. There are times when I am perfectly happy to be alone and not see or talk to anyone.

It's hard to date because I don't meet a lot of people, and I suspect a lot of people think I'm boring. I don't really know how to change that, but then again, I'm not sure I want to. This is who I am!

Old 03-14-2010, 08:52 PM

52,263 posts, read 52,686,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogwalker425 View Post
I am an introvert. I like to go out and do things (sporting events and concerts, mostly) but I am not outgoing. I'm not comfortable around people I don't know, and it is very hard for me to strike up a conversation with a stranger. I have never liked the bar and club scene. I'd much rather do things one on one or in a small group. There are times when I am perfectly happy to be alone and not see or talk to anyone.

It's hard to date because I don't meet a lot of people, and I suspect a lot of people think I'm boring. I don't really know how to change that, but then again, I'm not sure I want to. This is who I am!
If I was single you sound like a woman I'd like to know.

Old 03-14-2010, 08:58 PM

11,864 posts, read 17,001,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisan View Post
I have several questions for introverts.

How long have you known that you were one?

Where do you draw the line between being an introvert and just being boring?

So, when it comes to moving away from close friends and family, do you find it more difficult to make new close friends?
How can you not know you're an introvert?

I am an introvert, but I'm not boring. I have a good sense of humor, a sharp tongue, and a vast knowledge of facts. Introversion does not = boring.

I've never had a problem making friends, but they have to come to me. I'm shy enough that I won't usually approach a stranger, but I do (sometimes) welcome someone new. I tend to attract very extroverted people who want to protect me. I am always the quiet one in the group and I'm fine with that.

Old 03-14-2010, 09:00 PM

79 posts, read 76,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john-ever-learning View Post
I say introversion is a choice. If you feel bad about being introverted change your prespectives on social situations.

Whatever fear is keeping you down try and view it as an opportunity to step up. If you want to change your life a little bit change your ways. If you want to change your life by quantum leaps, change your prespectives.
Introversion is not a choice. I am introverted myself and not ashamed of it. Being around others is very draining to me and I can only really unwind when I'm alone, reading or listening to music. I married though and am otherwise doing OK. My wife is introverted too. Unfortunately, society tells us that you have to be outgoing and sociable to succeed in life and anything else is frowned upon. That's society's problem, not mine. I am who I am.

Old 03-15-2010, 05:30 PM

6,143 posts, read 7,556,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
If I was single you sound like a woman I'd like to know.
Figures! All the good ones are taken. LOL

Old 03-15-2010, 05:45 PM

1,237 posts, read 3,448,948 times
I'm glad to see that at least introverts know that there is nothing wrong with us!! It's too bad there is such a stigma associated with being introverted.

Personally I find my introvertedness is related to my independence. I have never relied on others to do things with me, for me, or keep me entertained. I'm perfectly capable of entertaining myself.

Old 03-15-2010, 06:39 PM

79 posts, read 76,639 times
Going to clubs and bars simply doesn't interest me. I can deal with some social interaction, but most of the time I want / need to be left alone, just in order to unwind. Needless to say, I have few friends, but I honestly don't want them, especially if they're going to give me a guilt trip for not wanting to go out with them all the time.

Old 03-15-2010, 06:54 PM

12,940 posts, read 21,622,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisan View Post
I have several questions for introverts.

How long have you known that you were one?

Pretty much my entire life, although at age 5 I wasn't aware of which particular label applied.

Quote:
Where do you draw the line between being an introvert and just being boring?
That's like asking me to draw a line between a Wankel engine and the color blue - two totally different things.

Quote:
So, when it comes to moving away from close friends and family, do you find it more difficult to make new close friends?
I have few close friends and fewer family, so I can't answer your question precisely, but I think it would be a while, if ever, before I made new "close" friends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships