Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2010, 12:50 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,267,585 times

Advertisements

NO freakin way! You guys have swearing and the food section. I am going over there! Shut up or I will punch you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2010, 12:51 PM

924 posts, read 1,644,977 times
This sounds really bizarre. Our families never segregate by gender, neither do any instances in my social life. Your guys' families have some weird values.

Old 03-14-2010, 12:54 PM

4,164 posts, read 6,318,139 times
I was really surprised that my older son and his wife and friends split-up into same-sex groups whenever they can at their parties...They are all "yuppies" who work in the entertainment industry in So. CA...At times everyone mingles...but at other times they split-up and seem far more at-home and happy with their own "kind." This seems weird to me because my son grew up talking to everyone but I guess he entered a new culture where the rules and protocol are a bit different.

Old 03-14-2010, 12:57 PM

5,879 posts, read 9,253,828 times
Furthermore, I would like to add us guys can hear you women laughing hysterically from the other room. Sometimes even outside in the garage. What are you laughing at, us?LMAO.........

Old 03-14-2010, 01:04 PM

5,024 posts, read 8,896,720 times
I usually sat with the guys too, because a lot of the women at these parties in this part of the country (no matter if it was family or friends) made the conversations soley about being a mom and having kids, so I was told quite frequently,"This is a conversation only for moms." So many times I left my own gender alone at these parties and went back and sat with my husband/or boyfriend and the rest of his buddies.

Old 03-14-2010, 01:08 PM

740 posts, read 1,233,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cricket_factor View Post
I usually sat with the guys too, because a lot of the women at these parties in this part of the country (no matter if it was family or friends) made the conversations soley about being a mom and having kids, so I was told quite frequently,"This is a conversation only for moms." So many times I left my own gender alone at these parties and went back and sat with my husband/or boyfriend and the rest of his buddies.
This I have definitely experienced. The moms go off to talk about mom stuff and the childless of both genders and the dads stay in a separate group.

Old 03-14-2010, 01:50 PM

I don't do well when I am expected to limit my conversation to "mom" or "grandma" stuff...or redecorating or remodeling...or talk about diets or what I watched on TV last night etc...My husband hates being stuck in "all-male" groups where the conversation is limited to talk about sports or jobs... or cars or power tools...or maybe stocks and retirement accounts etc...

Old 03-14-2010, 02:41 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,228,838 times
Just go with it. Since it's not your usual habit consider it broadening your horizons and take advantage of the family time with the ladies and hear their stories etc. Some of the older generation may be more open and sharing than they would be in "mixed" company. It's not like you have to live that way forever or anything.

Old 03-14-2010, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Just go with it. Since it's not your usual habit consider it broadening your horizons and take advantage of the family time with the ladies and hear their stories etc. Some of the older generation may be more open and sharing than they would be in "mixed" company. It's not like you have to live that way forever or anything.
I did enjoy spending time alone with my Mom and Aunt and Grandma when they were still here...They weren't exactly typical women tho...They were tough and strong and macho and even "salty."....I loved hearing all of their tales and stories and they could be really witty and funny too....I'm sure that they considered me a sissy for the longest time because I was more soft-spoken and reserved than they were....It took me a long time to measure up and earn a few stripes with the women in my family...They definitely gave the men in our family a run for their money...Nobody was a shrinking violet....Sure do miss them. Wish they were still here with me...

Old 03-14-2010, 07:50 PM

2,058 posts, read 3,305,167 times
My family functions: our immediate family sticks together because no one really likes us and we dont really like anyone else oh well. So its all genders together there. When its just my immediate family, we sorta split up into same sex groups but only for cooking, after that we all mingle.

His family functions: They're different, it's a bigger family and everyone separates by age.

With friends: When we do spilt up by gender it's awkward for me. I don't know what to talk about and I'd rather be with the guys. I dont really consider myself tomboyish, I'm just not..high maintenance I guess and I'm just more confortable with guys. *shrug*
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships