Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2010, 12:55 PM

4,164 posts, read 6,313,634 times

Advertisements

My husband and I aren't used to splitting-up into same-sex groups at parties or get-togethers and it always takes us by surprise when we are faced with this type of a situation...When we visit family or most of our friends...all of the men and women sit together and talk...Men don't congregate together in groups to talk...and women don't go off by themselves to chat...minus the guys. How do things go in your groups or family gatherings?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2010, 01:26 PM

4,897 posts, read 18,487,887 times
funny...in family get togethers, we naturally split up into same gender groups. with our friends we all just talk together

Old 03-13-2010, 04:32 PM

3,037 posts, read 5,928,486 times
My partner and I are joined at the hip so if he goes to talk to the guys, I have to follow. He's stronger than I am, so whatever he does, goes.

No, we actually don't go to parties, but when we did, I think groups were mostly mixed. I don't really remember a gender divide past school days. We'd all be squished against opposite walls to get as far away from the opposite gender as possible, leaving this huuuuuge empty space in the middle. Such......fun.

Old 03-13-2010, 05:18 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,936,355 times
Self segregation sounds weird. Are they church people ??

Old 03-13-2010, 05:29 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,265,486 times
Gah! You hit on the one thing that drives me insane about my boyfriend's friends. It's worse than a junior high dance, with guys on one side of the room, gals on the other. At least at a junior high dance, everyone is in the same room. These folks segregate into different floors of the house! Guys downstairs watching UFA, gals upstairs watching a movie. What is the point? At dinner gatherings, all the men talk, and the women just sit there, silent, perhaps laughing at a joke now and then.

I'm used to much more mingling, with people "working the room," or, at dinner parties, seated man-woman-man-woman with couples split apart. (Yes, I know. Just call me Letitia Baldridge.)

Old 03-14-2010, 11:45 AM

4,164 posts, read 6,313,634 times
Some people and couples live in a more androgenous type of world and culture where men and women realize that they have a good amount in common...Couples who split-up into same-sex groups haven't seemed to reach this point yet...They prefer to be with their "own kind" most of all and often play out the "battle of the sexes" at least in secret...They rely on stereotypes such as "all men are babies" or "watch out...she'll take you to the cleaners" etc...Their primary bond and loyalty is with their own gender...versus moving to more of a middle and androgenous position as a "person first" and a man or woman second. Have you noticed any of this?

Old 03-14-2010, 11:54 AM

740 posts, read 1,232,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CArizona View Post
My husband and I aren't used to splitting-up into same-sex groups at parties or get-togethers and it always takes us by surprise when we are faced with this type of a situation...When we visit family or most of our friends...all of the men and women sit together and talk...Men don't congregate together in groups to talk...and women don't go off by themselves to chat...minus the guys. How do things go in your groups or family gatherings?
Interesting! I have never run into this. Usually at the gatherings I go to everyone sits around a table or in the same room and have a group chat. The only time I have experienced the same-sex grouping was at an Egyptian wedding and that was mostly because the older ladies in the families were in purdah

Old 03-14-2010, 11:57 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,342,342 times
Yeah, in my parents' generation, this 'splitting up of the sexes' is pretty rampant.

In ours, parties are usually mixed up with all sorts of people speaking to each other, regardless of gender.

Some guys once told me it was because they didn't want to make some other guy mad by talking to his wife. So stupid, sexist, and lame.

Old 03-14-2010, 12:38 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,254,763 times
I (F) sit in the room with the men and exchange "wtf" sneers everytime we hear the chickens cackle in the distance. Its really funny way to predict who is going to get divorced next.

Old 03-14-2010, 12:43 PM

5,879 posts, read 9,248,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CArizona View Post
Guys over here, ladies over there. That is the way it has always been. The women don't care about our stuff and we don't care about theirs!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships