Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2010, 05:12 PM

11,864 posts, read 17,027,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricket_factor View Post
Man, they're food pushers at your work!
They do this at my work too. I prefer to just mind my own and stay at my desk, but if there's something going on - potluck, bday cake, snacks - and someone doesn't participate, they get upset and treat you like an ingrate. My managers now make it mandatory to make an appearance.

Old 05-06-2010, 05:20 PM

5,024 posts, read 8,906,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinx View Post
They do this at my work too. I prefer to just mind my own and stay at my desk, but if there's something going on - potluck, bday cake, snacks - and someone doesn't participate, they get upset and treat you like an ingrate. My managers now make it mandatory to make an appearance.
That's fair. But if you're watching your weight, nobody anywhere has the right to throw a tantrum if you don't put the celebratory food item in your mouth!

I worked in an office like that where one of the attorneys was always bringing in cakes, cheeses, bagels and cream cheese, cookies...it was a woman, too, who said she was always dieting. Yet she was always sneaking Snickers or Three Musketeers...I never saw a woman eat like THAT since. Then she would tell us after a day of gorging on candy that she was going on a diet (we'd all see the candy wrappers in the garbage, she never hid them).

Weight Watchers calls these people "food pushers." Sounds like A.C. has a bunch of mean-spirited people in his office.

Don't they have any Soup Plantations or soup and salad restaurants near your office, A.C.? Everybody can choose something healthful, they're not too high in price and you don't have have the food around the office all day long.

Plus some of that stuff can go bad sitting out, sometimes.

Old 05-06-2010, 05:59 PM

37,718 posts, read 46,149,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
But my building takes the prize any given day. There are safeway cookies, croissants, muffins, super glazed donuts, bagels, spreads on every corner.

Then, some employees are in this group hobby thing where each one makes a heavy cake a week.

The, potlucks, tortillas, beef, burgers, free soda. It's junk food paradise. Needless to say, 75% of the building is overweight. Across the cubicles, you can hear diet plans and websites every minute, they just don't follow it. Yet, they eat, eat and eat
That doesn't mean you have to go along with it. In fact, you would do everyone a favor to proclaim loudly that you work hard to stay healthy, and fully intend to do so and that means not eating food that is not in your daily allowance. I cannot imagine ANYONE that would take offense to this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinx View Post
Years ago we had a "birthday" day - one cake a month, to celebrate all the birthdays. That ended after it became apparent that not everyone appreciated the loss of time or the stuffing of the face. These days, each small team handles their own birthdays however they choose. Mostly, we have a team lunch. I go only occasionally as my lunch hour is my cardio time at the gym, and everyone knows how important that is to me, so people have no expectations for me to go. No way would our managers make such a thing mandatory - that's terrible.

Quote:
That's fair. But if you're watching your weight, nobody anywhere has the right to throw a tantrum if you don't put the celebratory food item in your mouth!

I worked in an office like that where one of the attorneys was always bringing in cakes, cheeses, bagels and cream cheese, cookies...it was a woman, too, who said she was always dieting. Yet she was always sneaking Snickers or Three Musketeers...I never saw a woman eat like THAT since. Then she would tell us after a day of gorging on candy that she was going on a diet (we'd all see the candy wrappers in the garbage, she never hid them).

Weight Watchers calls these people "food pushers." Sounds like A.C. has a bunch of mean-spirited people in his office.

Plus some of that stuff can go bad sitting out, sometimes.
I love to bake and cook. So occasionally I do bring in things, and no they're not always healthy. But I myself take tiny portions, if I have any at all. And anyone that doesn't want any, certainly does not offend me. I'm a preacher of fitness where I work and can't imagine people behaving this way. We have plenty of things brought in to our dept, but no one would ever feel offended by someone that didn't want any. How childish.

You guys need to bring this up to everyone and let them know how you feel.

Old 05-06-2010, 07:33 PM

5,143 posts, read 5,417,855 times
Seriously, I am beginning to think that either I'm a half breed ET, or I've reached 46&2.

Old 05-07-2010, 09:18 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,767,096 times
What the ... it's Friday, and there's a new parade of potluck.

There's a ton of glazed donuts and cakes, bagels and honey nut spreads

Old 05-07-2010, 09:42 AM

5,024 posts, read 8,906,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
What the ... it's Friday, and there's a new parade of potluck.

There's a ton of glazed donuts and cakes, bagels and honey nut spreads
The only way to fight the temptation in my opinion is to bring your own food from home - I used to bring milk and cereal and berries or greek yogurt, even Laughing Cow light cheese. If you don't have a breakroom with refrigerators, bring a small cooler. Drink water rather than soda. Bring string cheese, whole grain crackers, fruit.

When I worked at the City for YEARS we had bagels on Friday - then a whole slew of people went on Weight Watchers, and a lot of people started complaining about the bagels and cream cheese "regimen."

Then we started bringing in fruit, english muffins, cereals, and yogurt. But you have to have several people agreeing with you to make a change.

There must be a lot of fat people there where you work, A.C. I'm shocked with the way healthcare is so expensive today, your work doesn't put some kind of healthful workplace food implementation into place there.

Old 05-07-2010, 10:02 AM

52,385 posts, read 52,844,834 times
Working from home today, so I don't have to rage against the donut nazi's.

Nor do I have to resist the urge to go all "george castanza".

I gotta say, its looking to be a good day.

Old 05-07-2010, 10:12 AM

Quote:
The only way to fight the temptation in my opinion is to bring your own food from home - I used to bring milk and cereal and berries or greek yogurt, even Laughing Cow light cheese. If you don't have a breakroom with refrigerators, bring a small cooler. Drink water rather than soda. Bring string cheese, whole grain crackers, fruit.

When I worked at the City for YEARS we had bagels on Friday - then a whole slew of people went on Weight Watchers, and a lot of people started complaining about the bagels and cream cheese "regimen."

Then we started bringing in fruit, english muffins, cereals, and yogurt. But you have to have several people agreeing with you to make a change.

There must be a lot of fat people there where you work, A.C. I'm shocked with the way healthcare is so expensive today, your work doesn't put some kind of healthful workplace food implementation into place there.
And they are all planning a mexican restaurant hangout this afternoon.

I brought back a plate of bagels and donuts, butter and the like and secretly dumped them into trash.

I even proclaimed aloud how awesome the bagels were, pretense for the fellow cubiclers

I'm looking to bum out of the lunch plan, pull some prank or something else

Old 05-07-2010, 10:16 AM

WoW. Just WoW. I was talking to another Indian dude in the building. I just learned his 2 year old daughter has been in India ever since she was born, but not technically. The baby is presently living with grandparents who, of course, are taking total care of her.

He makes six figures. Wife works too. I'm stumped

And he almost convinced me what he is doing is strategically good.

Old 05-07-2010, 10:19 AM

6,776 posts, read 13,569,572 times
I made a delicious pesto pasta salad yesterday AC, you would love it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.