Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2010, 04:17 PM

3,948 posts, read 4,307,103 times

Advertisements

I was curious (just curious if anyone else has noticed this before or had this happen), has anyone here ever had a good relationship with someone in the workplace that you are somewhat interested in, but there is that one person that seems to always try to get in the way of you all's conversation or seems to get jealous that you and that other person get along well and mesh well? It might not even be in the workplace, but basically, someone who seems to always have a way of breaking up conversations or has to know exactly what you and that person have been doing. Usually, it's a person that knew the person you are interested in before you did and it's like they want them all to themselves.

I got something like that going on, I think. Me and this guy are always talking because we pretty much got everything in common, we hang out after work and stuff, but there's this one woman, she's always in our conversation or she seems to try to keep me from talking to him some times, especially if she isn't involved in the conversation. She is somewhat of an impatient person and has an attitude sometimes, so she will try to bit*h to him if she doesn't like something that I've done or if I didn't do it her way or if she just doesn't like what I've said. She's the type that always wants to go and take the "smoke-break" with him if someone pisses her off, lol. So, I'm left sitting in the office while she jabbers off about things that weren't even issues, but that she is probably going on about. It seems to get worse the more he and I talk, her insecurity or something kicks in.

So, what did you do in a situation like that? It's tough when you are interested in someone and yet there are times when someone tries to irritate you, get a rise out of you or call you out in front of them. I feel that if the person is going to listen to the gossipy person then they aren't really someone I'm interested in, but when you are still getting to know someone, you don't want someone else messing things up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2010, 04:22 PM

16,224 posts, read 25,672,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoEdible View Post
I was curious (just curious if anyone else has noticed this before or had this happen), has anyone here ever had a good relationship with someone in the workplace that you are somewhat interested in, but there is that one person that seems to always try to get in the way of you all's conversation or seems to get jealous that you and that other person get along well and mesh well? It might not even be in the workplace, but basically, someone who seems to always have a way of breaking up conversations or has to know exactly what you and that person have been doing. Usually, it's a person that knew the person you are interested in before you did and it's like they want them all to themselves.

I got something like that going on, I think. Me and this guy are always talking because we pretty much got everything in common, we hang out after work and stuff, but there's this one woman, she's always in our conversation or she seems to try to keep me from talking to him some times, especially if she isn't involved in the conversation. She is somewhat of an impatient person and has an attitude sometimes, so she will try to bit*h to him if she doesn't like something that I've done or if I didn't do it her way or if she just doesn't like what I've said. She's the type that always wants to go and take the "smoke-break" with him if someone pisses her off, lol. So, I'm left sitting in the office while she jabbers off about things that weren't even issues, but that she is probably going on about. It seems to get worse the more he and I talk, her insecurity or something kicks in.

So, what did you do in a situation like that? It's tough when you are interested in someone and yet there are times when someone tries to irritate you, get a rise out of you or call you out in front of them. I feel that if the person is going to listen to the gossipy person then they aren't really someone I'm interested in, but when you are still getting to know someone, you don't want someone else messing things up.
Has he noticed her behaviour? It sounds to me like this would be pretty obvious.
Meh. If your interested in him, ask him out for coffee, or lunch or something. Get completely away from her and the BS.

Old 03-15-2010, 04:25 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,627,765 times
I've seen this sort of thing happen many times in the workplace, it's extremely common. It can also become difficult if you have to interact with the people who are jealous of each other and it can affect your job performance if you have to work with someone who has a grudge against you. There's not much you can do about it except to try not to make matters worse by having it escalate to open hostility. It's one of the unfortunate situations that tend to occur when a group of people are working in close proximity for forty hours a week.

Old 03-15-2010, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeegirl313 View Post
Has he noticed her behaviour? It sounds to me like this would be pretty obvious.
Meh. If your interested in him, ask him out for coffee, or lunch or something. Get completely away from her and the BS.
It's hard to when we all work in the same department. Anything that happens that she doesn't like, she runs to him, complains and wants to go on a "smoke break." LOL

Old 03-15-2010, 04:28 PM

3,440 posts, read 8,041,885 times
Quote:
It's hard to when we all work in the same department. Anything that happens that she doesn't like, she runs to him, complains and wants to go on a "smoke break." LOL
Don't fool around with this girl...

Old 03-15-2010, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
I've seen this sort of thing happen many times in the workplace, it's extremely common. It can also become difficult if you have to interact with the people who are jealous of each other and it can affect your job performance if you have to work with someone who has a grudge against you. There's not much you can do about it except to try not to make matters worse by having it escalate to open hostility. It's one of the unfortunate situations that tend to occur when a group of people are working in close proximity for forty hours a week.
It is difficult. You got the people that throw hissy fits over everything and they want to immediately run and cry to someone about it. She is definitely jealous, I just get that feeling. It sucks too because I'm not even the type of person who wants that. I don't need you to be jealous of me, just let me do my thing and that includes getting to know someone better that I just so happen to have a lot in common with.

Old 03-15-2010, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morphous01 View Post
Don't fool around with this girl...
It's funny, 'cause I'll just watch him and her walk away to the back and I'm like, "WTF? Really?" LOL She'll try to get him riled up in any disagreement just to get him miserable with her, that's how she works. It's like she tries to keep him close to her or something and the smoke breaks are her only way of doing it because now, there is someone in the office that he actually can talk to and has a lot in common with: me.

Old 03-15-2010, 04:46 PM

16,224 posts, read 25,672,166 times
Quote:
It's funny, 'cause I'll just watch him and her walk away to the back and I'm like, "WTF? Really?" LOL She'll try to get him riled up in any disagreement just to get him miserable with her, that's how she works. It's like she tries to keep him close to her or something and the smoke breaks are her only way of doing it because now, there is someone in the office that he actually can talk to and has a lot in common with: me.
If he has any sense at all, he should be able to see through her, and what she is doing. If he doesn`t...well...he should.
I wouldn`t let it get to you. Enjoy what conversation you can with him, and just laugh her off!

Old 03-15-2010, 07:22 PM

5,024 posts, read 8,896,720 times
I'd send him a text or slip him a note about doing things outside of the office.

I wouldn't talk to him in front of that woman, unless it's work-related. Don't give her anything to gossip to the rest of the office about. Let her have her "controlling" moments. Keep focused on your work.

Old 03-15-2010, 07:28 PM

26,142 posts, read 31,192,758 times
Worked with a woman who knew it all and always felt self invited to the conversation - only problem is no one liked her and her pompus attitude. So, one day, knowing the reacation I would get, I said to this other girl "Nobody looks good in green" and she trotted right up to arguingly disagree with me....too bad everyone but her knew I wasn't talking about the color. So, instead of fighting it we just decided to have a wee bit of fun with her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships