Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2010, 02:03 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,035,296 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Dan View Post
I checked out those Lesbian prom picks. Is it just me or are lesbians ALOT better looking than they used to be? Sort of like the LPGA tour!
I can state without equivocation that lesbians look a damned sight better today than they did when I live in the Faubourg Marigny district of New Orleans just down the street from Peno's Bar. Well at least the ones that were in the open back in the day.

Anyway, just spoke with the niece and the ersatz niece in law, their argument went like this; in every relationship somebody has to be somewhat dominate and someone less so, (which makes sense when you think of any relationship) and some folks still cling to the idea that masculinity signifies dominance. So there you have one more opinion to throw in the pot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2010, 02:13 PM

PS - one of the things that I do for a living is image consulting, after going through all the prom pictures an interesting pattern began to emerge. In every photograph where their one young lady was dressed in masculine clothing the posture that they assumed in the photo was what one would typically see as a male dominance pose in a heterosexual couple, distance, aloofness, sometimes possessive, all of the image signals that are on display in heterosexual couples. In virtually every photograph where the couples adopted feminine attire, the posture was one of equality.

Old 03-18-2010, 02:33 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,338,536 times
Yeah. Throw into the mix that there might be gay couples who look just like you'd expect any man or woman to look and is partnered with someone else who also looks like regular joe/jane off the street...

There are tons of different people with different looks and I don't think you can assign a 'look' or philosophy or psychology to a gay couple based on how they're dressed or how their hair is made up.

Old 03-18-2010, 02:50 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,934,465 times
I agree. I've seen my share of very masculine straight women that dominate their marriages while their husbands are passive little pansies with no spine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Yeah. Throw into the mix that there might be gay couples who look just like you'd expect any man or woman to look and is partnered with someone else who also looks like regular joe/jane off the street...

There are tons of different people with different looks and I don't think you can assign a 'look' or philosophy or psychology to a gay couple based on how they're dressed or how their hair is made up.

Old 03-18-2010, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post

You think? I think that it is one of the fun parts of anthropology.

Old 03-18-2010, 03:01 PM

54 posts, read 46,898 times
In order to be able to really judge, someone needs to post gay guy prom pics.

Old 03-18-2010, 05:37 PM

2,320 posts, read 2,557,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Why is it your business? Not every straight woman is an effeminate little flower.

How can you support gays with that attitude?
Calm down a little...this person asked a very reasonable question --

Old 03-18-2010, 05:53 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,934,465 times
I am not telling people to agree with me or to adapt my points of views. I am saying that gay people vary in style and appearance. Have you ever been to a gay pride parade? Most lesbians look like regular women. You will see only a handful of the stereotypes. And it is like asking why do black people listen to rap or hip hop and not rock n roll? It all boils down to individuality, background, and sub-culture. The only answer I have is that it is a preference. Just like straight men and women have preferences. It is the same with gays and lesbians. Nothing new

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGBT_stereotypes

Old 03-18-2010, 06:48 PM

10,364 posts, read 20,790,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
I am not telling people to agree with me or to adapt my points of views. I am saying that gay people vary in style and appearance. Have you ever been to a gay pride parade? Most lesbians look like regular women. You will see only a handful of the stereotypes. And it is like asking why do black people listen to rap or hip hop and not rock n roll? It all boils down to individuality, background, and sub-culture. The only answer I have is that it is a preference. Just like straight men and women have preferences. It is the same with gays and lesbians. Nothing new

LGBT stereotypes - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I think the reason that people carry stereotypes is because only people who are obviously gay come to our attention--there are a lot of less obvious gay people walking around that we'd never guess if they didn't tell us.

Old 03-18-2010, 06:51 PM

3,006 posts, read 3,869,470 times
I live in Brighton UK- 90% of the gay people here are out and out stereotypes, queeny men and butch lesbians. I'd have never expected it before I moved here. My gf is transgendered (ladyboy according to her- I hate the term but it's what she calls herself) and is more feminine than any genetic girl, so I suppose we've outdone everyone on the gay scene! lol. Personally i'm bi, but present as straight although i'm rather metrosexual- common amongst professional men in the UK.

As to why some gay men are feminine and some lesbians butch- I think its purely down to how feminised (in gay men) or masculinised (in gay women) their brains are.

Last edited by archineer; 03-18-2010 at 07:00 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships