Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2010, 04:15 PM

548 posts, read 1,252,284 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Gwynedd, I don't understand this. Heterosexual women like men, yes, but that doesn't mean they find boyish women attractive. Would you say that heterosexual men find effeminate men attractive?
It's possible that straight men could find effeminate men attractive...but not to the point of wanting to date them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2010, 04:17 PM

548 posts, read 1,252,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
OK then what about the women designers...

Sorry but this is just not true. And there are men designers that are putting thicker women on the runway. They use almost 6ft teenagers so of course they are skinny. The form of the adult body with true curves (not fat) does not have the versatility to showcase designs. A show is about the artistic surreal. Not LIFE. You want life go out your front door. Not to a fashion show. You are not at a fashion show to see people. You are there to pick what you are buying for your store for the next season.
I think she actually makes a good point. If this is about targeting REAL women to buy your clothes, why not show a more realistic and flattering shape rather than skin and bones?!

Old 03-20-2010, 06:16 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,937,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
That isnt always the case. We all know what horrible monster this really pretty "stick" turned into:
Yes, but I'll counter with Sandra Bullock...I hear she's available now.

Old 03-20-2010, 09:34 PM

20,728 posts, read 19,377,191 times
Quote:

Sorry but this is just not true. And there are men designers that are putting thicker women on the runway. They use almost 6ft teenagers so of course they are skinny. The form of the adult body with true curves (not fat) does not have the versatility to showcase designs. A show is about the artistic surreal. Not LIFE. You want life go out your front door. Not to a fashion show. You are not at a fashion show to see people. You are there to pick what you are buying for your store for the next season.

Hi pitt_transplant,

Lots of women think the androgynous look in women is so cute and attractive. They are projections of what they find attractive. I see the same thing happen with men when they hate their own body hair. Even women are involved in this. All I know is normal men are not behind this, but they are often blamed by women for this "impossible" standard.

Old 03-21-2010, 09:20 AM

1,081 posts, read 2,473,001 times
Quote:
That isnt always the case. We all know what horrible monster this really pretty "stick" turned into:
When exactly was Kirstie Alley ever a "stick"?

I remember when she was on the tv show Cheers, and I don't think she was thin looking even back then. I've never found her to be attractive, regardless of how much or little weight she may be carrying at the time.

Old 03-21-2010, 09:36 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,970,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyroads View Post
When exactly was Kirstie Alley ever a "stick"?

I remember when she was on the tv show Cheers, and I don't think she was thin looking even back then. I've never found her to be attractive, regardless of how much or little weight she may be carrying at the time.
She was a stick here when she appeared on Cheers:

YouTube - Cheers, Home is the sailor (3 of 3)

She was soooooo pretty on Cheers. Now she's just fat. However, she still has a pretty face (I know because we go to the same Vet so Ive seen her quite a few times) but one just cannot get past that awful body. Im really hoping she gets the help she needs to get to her goal weight of 140 pounds.

Old 03-21-2010, 10:03 AM

1,081 posts, read 2,473,001 times
Quote:
She was soooooo pretty on Cheers. Now she's just fat. However, she still has a pretty face (I know because we go to the same Vet so Ive seen her quite a few times) but one just cannot get past that awful body. Im really hoping she gets the help she needs to get to her goal weight of 140 pounds.
Hmmm... I guess we have different ideas of what constitutes being a "stick". I'd say she looked pretty normal in that YouTube video you posted, not excessively thin.
On the other hand, I always thought that the actress who played Jack Nickolson's wife in the movie The Shining (I can't remember her name right now) was always very thin looking. I can't think of any other examples of women that I would call "sticks" right now.

As for her face, I don't know exactly why, but she never really appealed to me that much. I generally like brunette women, but not Kirstie Alley. Her face is not looking attractive in the earlier photo of her that you posted.

Old 03-21-2010, 11:17 AM

2,115 posts, read 5,032,219 times
Quote:

This is true. Models must have bodies that can wear basically anything and make it look good. Forget all the "dressing for your shape" stuff. Designers need to be able to put the clothes on any of the girls. This is about the clothes. You can create curves on a thin model by manipulating the clothing, but you cannot create thinness on a curvy woman. Girls should not be looking at the majority of models for the feminine physical ideal. Some of them have nice bodies (VS models particularly), but most of them are just straight up skinny.

Old 03-21-2010, 11:47 AM

6,084 posts, read 6,048,996 times
I have always found it ironic that straight women (and men too) allow the fashion industry (dominated by gay males, thus the rationale for promoting a physique similar to that of a prepubescent male) to dictate to them what is and is not attractive.

Old 03-21-2010, 12:10 PM

20,728 posts, read 19,377,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mango tango View Post
This is true. Models must have bodies that can wear basically anything and make it look good. Forget all the "dressing for your shape" stuff. Designers need to be able to put the clothes on any of the girls. This is about the clothes. You can create curves on a thin model by manipulating the clothing, but you cannot create thinness on a curvy woman. Girls should not be looking at the majority of models for the feminine physical ideal. Some of them have nice bodies (VS models particularly), but most of them are just straight up skinny.

Hi mango tango,

I would buy that theory except for one thing, it doesn't even make the clothes look good. Even VS is now heading into the heroin addicted , garnish plate special look. They look like pretty but starving women. The designers are dreaming of Roman style catamites with vomit on their breath.

This woman is a US size 8. That is what most men like(or some slight offset) and they don't care what she wears so long as it is in a pile near the bed post at some point. It takes 50,000 calories to make a baby.

I am not making anymore excuses for them. If you like men to back door you in the alley and slam your head against the dumper, have at it; but stop sitting on your stool, petting your groomed poodle while asking women to starve themselves for your pleasure. If not, then my homosexual neutrality ends with medieval tolerance . As for the women, if you are adored by Fabio with a lisp, you got yourself a great shopping buddy.

That shred of burlap-esque, hanging on Milanese barbed wire, looks like hell on hot pink carriage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships