Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 04:43 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,387,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStupid View Post
Yeah, on the other hand, the person who does not make money should not have any say in financial decisions at home.
Sure...she is only raising the children, that's not a valuable job at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2010, 04:47 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,387,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by recuerdeme View Post
I'm going to have to disagree. Childcare cannot be that expensive. The single mother working at wal-mart would probably disagree too. If she can do it alone and still have a place to live and food and get her "hair did" then... And I'm not suggesting abandoning the children with child care professionals.

Getting a job temporarily or part time, would be an economically wise means to an end.
Oh man, that's spoken from someone who is completely unaware of childcare costs. A single mother in wal-mart cannot afford to pay for childcare unless she gets money or help somewhere else.
One child can cost at least 300-400 dollars a week, my friend pays 1500/month for her 2 kids daycare.

Old 03-19-2010, 04:48 PM

7,829 posts, read 11,792,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I assure you that a gal working at Walmart, after subtracting her work expenses and day care, would not be paying a quality center to take care of those kids.

Give me a break.
Well, if someone is working at WALMART then they should not be having kids because they certainly cannot afford them. I don't understand why people think they are entitled to have kids when they can't afford them then start to complain how broke they are and start their crying...geez!

Old 03-19-2010, 05:26 PM

3,269 posts, read 9,937,412 times
Look - I think your husband made a big mistake. A very costly one but somewhat understandable. As long as he is being apologetic and telling you that he totally messed up then you are going to have to learn to let it go. Everyone makes mistakes, everyone. A big part of marriage is accepting decisions or actions that you would not have made if you were single. Also perhaps part of you is mad at yourself for not standing up to him and saying no because you surely could have.

I bet your husband is already feeling like an ass for causing his family (possible) financial strain. Plus it has just been revealed to him that his Dad is not perfect. Lot going on for him - he needs your support and will be eternally grateful for it....

Old 03-19-2010, 06:13 PM

2,320 posts, read 2,560,046 times
Quote:
It does not matter. It's his dad!!!
You are so wrong on so many levels. Just because it's his dad does not mean he owes him that money. Sounds like his dear old dad is taking advantage of him, to the exclusion of the other siblings. Your harsh judgment of OP is way off base IMO.
That being said, I think OP should let this go and move on -- they have been burned, it sounds like, by this FIL in more ways that just with money. We can't choose our family of birth, but we CAN choose our family of choice.

Old 03-19-2010, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
I absolutely agree! To "TheStupid" -- what in the world are you TALKING about that the wife raising the kids at home has no SAY in the money! The 1950s called and they want you to come back where you belong.

Old 03-19-2010, 06:19 PM

"Originally Posted by recuerdeme
I'm going to have to disagree. Childcare cannot be that expensive. The single mother working at wal-mart would probably disagree too. If she can do it alone and still have a place to live and food and get her "hair did" then... And I'm not suggesting abandoning the children with child care professionals.

Getting a job temporarily or part time, would be an economically wise means to an end."

To recuerdeme: You are totally clueless, and your racism was not at all disguised...Walk in someone else's shoes before you post such uninformed comments about the cost of childcare, among other things.

Old 03-19-2010, 06:40 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,199,065 times
Quote:
Yeah, on the other hand, the person who does not make money should not have any say in financial decisions at home.
This is one of the more assinine statements I've come across on this forum. My dh, F/T student, has a say in how our money is spent...because it's our money, not mine.

Quote:
Heard that excuse like 1000 times. You lazy girls have a script book or something?
Actually, this is just as assinine if not more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by recuerdeme View Post

Getting a job temporarily or part time, would be an economically wise means to an end.
The mom's at my work are paying upwards of 3k/month for child care. Granted, we're in the Boston area and everything is more expensive here, but I'm sure that's taking up more than half their net monthly income. eta: all that coupled with the costs of getting to work, (gas, tolls, etc) lunches, etc, it might be close to breaking even.

Old 03-19-2010, 07:21 PM

851 posts, read 3,627,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
Exactly.

If that's a job, then the hubby is the employer. When does employee have any say on how employer spends his money?

If that's not a job, then the wife is not bringing any resource to the family. Why should she have any hand in financial decisions?

Old 03-19-2010, 07:36 PM

3,261 posts, read 5,306,422 times
Quote:
Exactly.

If that's a job, then the hubby is the employer. When does employee have any say on how employer spends his money?

If that's not a job, then the wife is not bringing any resource to the family. Why should she have any hand in financial decisions?

Are you being deliberately <insert your moniker here>?

Both have jobs which equally benefit their family, his job is outside the home at a value of a salary paid in money.

Her job is to care for 2 children and their home at a value of the opportunity cost of (salary working outside the home - child-care for 2 children - housekeeping). I bet the value she provides the family is greater than his salary.

FYI: Definition Opportunity Cost =
Benefit, profit, or value of something that must be given up to acquire or achieve something else. Since every resource (land, money, time, etc.) can be put to alternative uses, every action, choice, or decision has an associated opportunity cost. Opportunity costs are fundamental costs in economics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships