Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 06:07 PM

5,612 posts, read 15,115,593 times

Advertisements

It's very annoying. I keep reading advice/suggestions/posts from people in relationships (married or long tem) who insist on acting like there's a tree that single people can go just pluck someone off of and be as blissfully happy as they are. That's just like someone who's had a job for ten + years saying that people who want a job are just too lazy to get one (there at least 100 applicants for every position available).

If you are not in a particular situation, you have no idea what's it's like. A little empathy (not sympathy) goes a long to not destroying the self esteem some of us are trying to hold onto.

Everyone's situation is different but there is no bf/gf tree to go pluck someone off of. If there is, please direct me to it.

End of rant. Thank you for reading.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2010, 06:11 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,860,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CESpeed View Post
It's very annoying. I keep reading advice/suggestions/posts from people in relationships (married or long tem) who insist on acting like there's a tree that single people can go just pluck someone off of and be as blissfully happy as they are. That's just like someone who's had a job for ten + years saying that people who want a job are just too lazy to get one (there at least 100 applicants for every position available).

If you are not in a particular situation, you have no idea what's it's like. A little empathy (not sympathy) goes a long to not destroying the self esteem some of us are trying to hold onto.

Everyone's situation is different but there is no bf/gf tree to go pluck someone off of. If there is, please direct me to it.

End of rant. Thank you for reading.
In their defense they "were" once single.

Old 03-19-2010, 06:11 PM

6,777 posts, read 13,553,309 times
Maybe because they were single once too? People aren't born married.

Old 03-19-2010, 06:14 PM

Yes but the longer you are away from the dating scene the harder it is to relate to what others are going through. And dating now is a lot different than 5 - 10 years ago.

Old 03-19-2010, 06:16 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,860,632 times
Quote:
Yes but the longer you are away from the dating scene the harder it is to relate to what others are going through. And dating now is a lot different than 5 - 10 years ago.
True-dat.

Old 03-19-2010, 06:19 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,383,485 times
Quote:
Well, that could be true, but married people are still surrounded with single people and may provide a valuable insight and an opinion.
After all, if some of us in a good relationship, we might have done something right and can offer a very good advice.

Dating is only different now because of all the gadgets we have, like dating sites, texting, and networking sites. Otherwise, for an outsider, it seems as if it's pretty much the same.

Old 03-19-2010, 06:22 PM

16,224 posts, read 25,666,259 times
Some have "been there, done that." Some just want to offer their sincere advice, as to what they have been through in their lifetime,and share, or try to help another in a similiar situation.
Isn`t forums great?

Why is it that people in relationships feel they can understand what it`s like to be single?

Or maybe.....because people in relationships have been single one time in their lifetime, and this has nothing to do with age, or time.

Last edited by yankeegirl313; 03-19-2010 at 06:34 PM..

Old 03-19-2010, 06:26 PM

3,261 posts, read 5,304,636 times
For me it depends on the post. Many of the posts that refer to online dating, "the dating game", texting, I try to stay away from because I've never done that. OTOH many posts by single people, refer to universal things like expectations, etiquette, sex, love and I believe us married folk have equally valid opinions & perspectives.

Old 03-19-2010, 06:32 PM

Please don't get me wrong. I love reading everyone's prespective. It just people acting single people want to be single and they can not be single if they didn't want to be that makes me bang my head on the keyboard.

Old 03-19-2010, 06:34 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,958,318 times
Quote:
Why is it that people in relationships feel they can understand what it's like to be single?
Because people in relationships were at one time (probably more than one time) in their lives single so they KNOW what its like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships