Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 04:30 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,060,466 times

Advertisements

I've lived in the same house since I was 3 years old (I don't remember anything before that so it's the same as if I was born here) and frankly am getting a little restless. Not having a job isn't helping. I'm 24, btw.

I'm just wondering how many of you are in the same boat...how many live in the same house they grew up in? How many have only lived in one house? I hear this sort of thing is actually common in some countries, but probably less so in places like the US and Australia. For me, the fact it's a rather dull suburb with nothing but houses for miles adds to the desperation to move. It's not bad in that the crime rate is very low, and it's otherwise quite nice, but after a point you do get restless. I'm sick of this city too; maybe if I lived in another city I wouldn't really care, but in a place where the nearest real city is 2,500 km away (like 1,700 miles)...I don't know what it's like to move house - seems like a huge hassle, but it would be nice to finally be independent too!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2010, 05:44 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
My great-aunt did. She lived in the house where she was born until a year or two ago, when she and her husband (my grandfather's brother) moved to be closer to town and the doctor.

My neighbor grew up in the house next door, moved away when she was married, and then bought the house from her parents. She's lived there for 40 years+ altogether and is only in her early 50s.

My grandparents still live in the house they bought together over 50 years ago, their first house. It cost $14,000.

Old 03-29-2010, 06:11 AM

7,005 posts, read 21,336,879 times
Never. My dad had a coworker friend who (at the time) was 49 years old, single, never had been with a woman and still lived at his parents. We planned on time to trick him into going to a strip joing to make sure he'd get "lucky". Never happened.

Old 03-29-2010, 06:16 AM

7,796 posts, read 16,400,337 times
I lived in the same house from 2 to 25, not including time spent residing at dorms in college, but my school was only 45 minutes away from home so I was able to come and go as I please. At 25, my then boyfriend (now husband) asked me to move in with him to his place. At 26 we bought our home, which is were we reside now.

I recall getting excited every time there was a promotion/chance of transfer for my father (gov't work), but it was his and my mother's goal to keep us from moving around. They wanted us to have roots and remain near our extended family. They were successful. My father was one of the few to get promoted without transfers and looking back at it, I'm grateful for it.

Old 03-29-2010, 06:37 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,060,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
I lived in the same house from 2 to 25, not including time spent residing at dorms in college, but my school was only 45 minutes away from home so I was able to come and go as I please. At 25, my then boyfriend (now husband) asked me to move in with him to his place. At 26 we bought our home, which is were we reside now.

I recall getting excited every time there was a promotion/chance of transfer for my father (gov't work), but it was his and my mother's goal to keep us from moving around. They wanted us to have roots and remain near our extended family. They were successful. My father was one of the few to get promoted without transfers and looking back at it, I'm grateful for it.
At least you lived away for a few years. The longest I've stayed away from home was 4 months when I was travelling. Here most people don't really stay in dorms to go to college because most of them just study locally.

Old 03-29-2010, 06:40 AM

7,454 posts, read 13,427,075 times
If you do find your own place, even if its sharing with others to meet costs, you won't probably regret it. Much more enjoyable to be independent. Sounds from your post as if you need a change..... and a change is as good as a holiday!

Old 03-29-2010, 11:29 AM

27,345 posts, read 27,397,752 times
I know of a few who have. The longest I lived in the same house was 10 years, and that was when I was married.

Old 03-29-2010, 02:18 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
I know a man in his mid 50's who has been in the same house his entire life. His parents bought the place before he was born and later, when he got married, he and his wife bought the house from his then widowed mother and she moved into a small condo nearby.

I understand about the restlessness. I lived in one house until I was 21, and now I've lived in the house I raised our kids in for 20 years. I'm itching for a change, different walls, a different floorplan, etc. Even though I want to stay in the same area I'd like a new living environment.

Old 03-30-2010, 12:16 AM

19,893 posts, read 18,444,477 times
So many have lived in one place for ever your not the only one. Not me, but i do believe by what you are saying here, that you have become restless, and i truly believe that you desperately need a change of some type. Perhaps you need to move some place different. You mentioned that your 24 why don't you have a job. That would help for starters, you cannot make a move, without a job.

Old 03-30-2010, 12:33 AM

4,837 posts, read 8,855,839 times
Default Anyone aged over 25 lived in the same house their entire life?

Does this count?

When I was 37, I bought and moved into my current home. It is the 25th home I've lived in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships