Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2010, 07:09 AM

5,879 posts, read 9,255,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SparklyWonder66 View Post
A previous thread about the majority of women being money minded when it comes to dating got me thinking....

If a women made more money than you would you still date her? Would you find it too masculine or intimidating? Or does it not matter who earns more?
I would and have before in the past. Money means nothing to me in a relationship. Sometimes it does make you wonder why a woman who makes substantially more than you do is interested in you though. I don't think it matters either way. Go for the person not for their career or paycheck. The important thing to remember is financial situations change in the course of a lifetime. I think I heard that already, "for rich or for poor"!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2010, 09:04 AM

261 posts, read 527,569 times
Well I've been out with guys who earn less than me and those relationships lasted longer than when I dated really successful guys. I don't want that means for me? I always thought I was shallow... (love of shoes and all) but I guess it turns out i'm not. LOL

Old 04-04-2010, 09:19 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,620,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
When my husband and I separated 3 years ago, I joined a dating service. I had a rediculous number of responses from men a lot younger than me and a healthy number of responses to men my age. Someone told me to take my income off of my profile. The inquiries stopped . Apparently, it wasn't me they were interested in.
That's interesting. I had my income on my profile for a while, but I removed it because I didn't want guys to feel like they couldn't approach me if they made less than I did. I might put it back up though.

Old 04-04-2010, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
That's interesting. I had my income on my profile for a while, but I removed it because I didn't want guys to feel like they couldn't approach me if they made less than I did. I might put it back up though.
You could to see what response you get. Interesting...

Although on a dating site you don't really want money to become an issue. basically if you do get more guys you might think it's down to how much you said you earn. When really new people could have joined and they could be interested in you for you - Which is obviously the main goal.

Like I said in the other thread about "women being only interested in money". You don't have to list it (well if it's optional).

But again I suppose if you don't put it and you find a guy who isn't comfortable with an independent women who earns her own cash that you create a problem that could have been avoided.

I think this could go either way.

Do you think not mentioning something and lying are one and the same?

Old 04-04-2010, 09:47 AM

I don't considerate it lying if guys don't list their income on their profile. I'd rather them not list it than exaggerate it.

The reason why I listed my income before is because I'm not ashamed of it, and I understand that some men might have income requirements for women just like some women have income requirements for men. However, the last 5 guys I've dated have made less than me, and I wouldn't want someone to think that I wouldn't be interested in them just because I make more money than they do. On the contrary, I wouldn't mind if my income caused someone to be slightly more interested than they would have been had they not known about it. Online dating profiles just present a "package" of sorts, and income is often a part of that. I can't expect them to be interested in me for me if they don't know me yet.

Old 04-04-2010, 10:23 AM

Fair point and slightly aggressive... I wasn't suggesting you should be ashamed of your in-come or that someone can be into you with having known you. I was asking what people's thoughts were on the question of men dating women more successful than themselves.

You may have misunderstood what i was asking - if you didn't put your income AT ALL and guys were chatting to you AND were into you (because they got to know you a bit through the communication) would this create a problem when/ if money was discussed. It was a JUST a question/ idea / thought.

I too don't consider not mentioning something as lying. I know people that do and I want to throw that question out there.

Old 04-04-2010, 10:31 AM

37,626 posts, read 46,035,471 times
How much money I make is not anyone's business. I'd never ask someone else how much they made either. That said, I do think it's important that someone be able to support themselves in a lifestyle not too far off from mine. I don't put my income on my profile, and I don't put any stock into such a number anyway.

As far as the OP, I'm a woman, and every man I've dated (including the ex-husband), except for one, has made less money than I. None had a problem with it.

Old 04-04-2010, 10:37 AM

1,125 posts, read 2,193,615 times
My current g/f makes more money than me. Not that much more though, but still more than me. I know a few guys who specifically go for women who make more money than them. That's a requirement for them. They don't want women who make less than them.

Old 04-04-2010, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SparklyWonder66 View Post
You may have misunderstood what i was asking - if you didn't put your income AT ALL and guys were chatting to you AND were into you (because they got to know you a bit through the communication) would this create a problem when/ if money was discussed. It was a JUST a question/ idea / thought.
Oh, I wasn't speaking from a point of defense/aggression at all. I was just clarifying what I originally wrote. I don't think the guys who I dated who made less than me really knew how much I made anyways, so I can't say whether it would've been a problem for them if they had known.

Old 04-04-2010, 10:47 AM

@ sweet - No problem my mistake

Well peeps is seems like it doesn't actually matter who earns what. I'll pass this onto my girlfriends who date online. They too had different ideas and experiences so I guess it's the same as any dating criteria tall, short, fat, thin, white, black, doctor, dustman..... Horses for courses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships